Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 07-28-2005, 02:00 PM   #1
A.S. ADMIN
Administrator

Default General Buprenorphine discussion

Information contained in this website is not intended to substitute for the expertise and advice of your physician, counselor, pharmacists or other healthcare professional. It should not be interpreted as a claim that use of the medication is safe, appropriate or effective for you. It is entirely your responsibility to consult your healthcare professional before using any medication.
A.S. ADMIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2005, 07:29 PM   #2
Bill Green

Does the new legislature mean that any doctor can prescribe Bupe? Do they still have to take the course?
BG
Bill Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2005, 07:48 PM   #3
A.S. ADMIN
Administrator

The new law will only allow individual doctors in group practices to treat up to 30 patients. They still have to take the 8 hour course.
A.S. ADMIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2005, 07:53 PM   #4
Marnie

Hi! Great website. I'm really glad I found it. I started with Percocet after some major oral surgery 2 years ago. When I couldn't find get any more, i went to street heroin - just to keep the withdrawals at bay. I'm a 26 year old grad student, and really don't want to be on Methadone, for various reasons, I would like to try Buprenorphine but would appreciate any input you guys might have for me as to the differences (besides the obvious going to a clinic). Thank you very much.
Marnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2005, 01:12 PM   #5
Jake

<div align="left">The biggest difference is the convenience. you will not need to go to a clinic to get Suboxone. It is prescribed by a doctor. The science says that people do not develop a tolerance to Buprenorphine so it should be easier to get off of when you are ready to stop. Many people make the mistake of too short of a detox, studies show with Buprenorphine the longer the detox the better chance of staying clean long term. To understand the difference read the difference between tolerance-dependence-addiction. Read this: http://naabt.org/education/modern_philosophy.cfm it might help. Good luck
Jake S.</div id="left">
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2005, 07:23 PM   #6
Bill Green

<div align="left">President Bush signed the bill lifting the 30 limit of prescribing Suboxone/Subutex for group practices yesterday 8-02-2005. This means that as of yesterday if a practice has more then one qualified physician, they can each have up to 30 patients each. Before yesterday the whole group could only have 30 total. This will open up treatment to anyone in an HMO or big hospital. There are many small 2-4 doctor practices that until yesterday could only treat 30 patients total, now they can treat up to 60-90 patients total.
BG</div id="left">
Bill Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2005, 01:30 AM   #7
Marnie

Thanks for your input Jake. I read the Modern Philosophy and it makes a lot of sense. I particularly like the tapering off aspect of Suboxone versus what seems to be sometimes an increase in methadone. I'm going to start looking for a doctor tomorrow. Wish me luck!
Marnie
Unread 08-05-2005, 01:06 PM   #8
Jake

<div align="left">Good luck. start with the national list of docs click the "patient/doctor connection" at the top of this page. If you have no luck try to get your doctor to get trained so he/she can prescribe. That's what I did. I brought my doc the brochure I dowloaded from this site and I looked up when the next training class was and even printed out the application for him. I didn't give him much of a chance to say no, or just forget about it. Its up to you.
Jake</div id="left">
Unread 08-06-2005, 03:24 PM   #9
Marnie

Good news Jake! I contacted a doctor from the patient/dr connection list on this site. I have an appointment for Wednesday. Guess I'll be moving on to the starting forum here. That's great that you got your doctor to prescribe. I'm hoping I have as good a relationship with mine as you do with yours!
Thanks a million.
Marnie

p.s. Wonderful news on the new law!
Unread 08-06-2005, 11:53 PM   #10
Jake

<div align="left">Great! Remember you must be starting to feel the withdrawal symptoms before you take your first dose of Suboxone. Otherwise you could go into withdrawal. Read the article http://naabt.org/education/what_bt_like.cfm about starting treatment. Good luck.
Jake</div id="left">
Unread 08-09-2005, 06:07 PM   #11
Marnie

Well, tomorrow's the big day. My appointment is at 10:00. Any suggestions?? Should I eat something? Anything else? I know I have to be starting withdrawals. That's all I know.
Thanks.
Unread 08-09-2005, 09:26 PM   #12
gwen

congratulations and good luck marnie! i think you'll find the buprenorphine treatment a wonderful experience. i ate a small breakfast the morning of my first appointment. i wish that i didn't. it made mr a bit more naseous with the withdrawals i was experiencing. but maybe that was nerves also. hard to tell. my best advice is to relax knowing you're going to start feeling normal by the time you leave there. if you haven't lined up some counseling, try to do so as soon as you can. it made a big difference for me.
let us know how you make out!
peace,
gwen
gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to gwen For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-28-2012)
Unread 08-10-2005, 03:06 PM   #13
cho55cho

I have been doing alot of research about Buprenorphine and it really seems to be the best way to go to kick this crazy habit. I feel alot of hope reading everyone's testimonials. Thanks for sharing!
cho55cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2005, 03:15 PM   #14
Jake

<div align="left">Cho,
Good luck and please let us know how you made out and provide any advice to anyone else considering treatment. Thanks.
Jake</div id="left">
Unread 08-12-2005, 11:47 PM   #15
Marnie

Hi. Day 2 on Suboxone and I feel great. Gwen, thanks so much for your advice and sharing your experience. (I opted out of eating anything before I went. I was too scared to!) It helped a lot. I did get a referral for a group counseling gig and if I need more, I'll get referrals for a one-on-one counselor.

I can't even begin to tell you how good I feel so quickly. I actually feel like doing stuff and don't feel overwhelmed or preoccupied with when or where I can score again.

chocho, I don't know your history, but with my going from percs to snorting heroin everyday for the past couple years, I think you should try it. It seems like you're right when you say it seems to be the best way to kick this crazy habit!!

Marnie
One User Says Thank You to Marnie For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-24-2012)
Unread 08-13-2005, 09:47 PM   #16
gwen

glad to hear you're having a good experience marnie. just keep up with your counseling it really does help. let me know your progress!
Unread 08-19-2005, 05:57 PM   #17
ocisbomb

Hello! Looks like there are about a whole 3 of us using this board, but oh well, I figured I'd post my experience. Ended up on opiates because of numerous car accidents and back injuries. I have gone from 32 mg a day to 2 mg a day in the last year.

Like you Jake, I am about to make the jump from 2 mg to nothing. I have been told to start doing 2 mg every other day, then nothing.

I am nervous. Each reduction has been a little rough, but nowhere NEAR what it would have been on something else.

If anyone's done it, please post, I'm on the edge of my seat, as I want OFF this roller coaster, and I want my LIFE back!

By the way, any legislators, or whoever makes the laws about this stuff, bupe has been a life-saver. It's not quite a "get out of jail free" card, but it has probably saved my life.

ocisbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to ocisbomb For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-07-2011)
Unread 08-19-2005, 09:45 PM   #18
gwen

hey ocisbomb. welcome to our little forum. it's actually kind of cool right now being small, it's almost like group counseling! there are a lot more members signed up, but i guess they must be shy! plus everyone in this forum seems to know what they're talking about. i'm sure it will get bigger when more people find out about the site.

i don't have much to offer to you as i just started in june. too many oxys too many times (still took them 5 years after back surgery). but lucky for me, i have another person with experience at this.

i started at 16mg and am at 12 now. i feel good with it now. and i notice i don't get as depressed. we'll see how i do when i have to reduce again. i might have to bug you with questions!
gwen
Unread 08-24-2005, 11:29 PM   #19
imported_n/a

from the first post i felt like of i might say something wtong and make me nervous i hate how my life was when i was using and i hope that i would never make it seem like it was something that it was not and i hope that the people who are here reading this are people with my similiar story or someone you love or care for would talk about many of same feelings, and even if some days i talk about how the escape that using in my case dilaudid a strong opiate used for extreme pain, that needs to be understood the escape that i optained from using was very real and as much as i wish i could change those previous days before treatment i need to own them and the pain i cause and people i hurt and move on. Also if i make them out to seem how wonderful those days were i hope that someone will say that they must not have been so great to have ended up in treatment over them.
i am so glad to be on medication for my addictoion because nothing else was working and people can call me weak or whatever i call myself employed happy with food and rent paid and not sick every day, i feel like someone took a world off my back and thank god mr doctor did because my world was ending and back we breaking. can just just get those dam pills to disolve faster. i promised i would not complain. my name is chase/ and people do not give this medication out to anyone just remember if people do then u are putting me and every one else at risk of having my life back and i just have had mine back a shortime so i beg you do not do this to me. i am chase think of me when someone asks you.
thanks
chase
imported_n/a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2005, 12:16 PM   #20
gwen

hi again.
i thing what they mean with that reminiscing about the days before treatment is that they don't want people telling their 'how i scored' 'what i did' etc. stories like they do on some of the other forums. i think they want it to be constructive and helpful. sometimes stories of the olden days on drugs can be a trigger to someone new in recovery. and to me, your story is very thoughtful and i can relate to how you feel especially when you talked about changing the previous days and the pain and hurt to others. you're absolutely right. we need to own them but move on in a better place and sense of self.
thanks.
gwen
Unread 08-26-2005, 12:54 PM   #21
lizzie

I JUST read that the government changed the law saying doctors could only treat 30 people. Wow! I have read that there are tons of people on waiting lists. Do other people know that there is no limit now?
lizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2005, 01:05 PM   #22
Jake

WHERE DID YOU READ THAT?
Unread 08-26-2005, 01:38 PM   #23
Dr. Whitmore

Lizzie.
You are grossly mistaken. The 30-patient limit was lifted on Group Practices ONLY. Prior to the lifting of the law, even if there were 20 doctors in one facility, buprenorphine treatment was limited to only 30 patients. Now, each of the doctors in a facility has a limit of 30 patients. So, that means – using the 20 doctor example – that facility can now treat 600 patients instead of just 30.

Please do a little research before you announce something like that, as the erroneous reporting may get people's hopes up unnecessarily.
Dr. Whitmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2005, 02:04 PM   #24
nale360

now sence the 30 patient limit has been lifted does that mean all group practices will start taking more patients or do you think most will just stay with 30 patients because they don't want anymore people so it doesn't get out of control?
nale360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2005, 03:39 PM   #25
TIM

So far the group practices are excited about being able to help more people. I think most will take as many patients as they can. The ones that won't might be ones that don't have a support staff like counselors.
TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2005, 04:38 PM   #26
Marnie

Hi guys,
Just wanted to say I've been on Suboxone for 3 weeks now and I'm feeling great. Actually, so good, I haven't had much free time to participate here - especially with work and now school.

Just want to thank you guys again for your help and support. I hope that I can do the same for others on here too.

Marnie
Unread 09-17-2005, 10:38 PM   #27
alix

I am new to this board and am hoping someone can suggest a Doctor in the NYC or Greenwich CT area that does not charge an arm and a leg for treatment. I have Oxford, and so far,all the calls I have made from the patient\doctor link do not take my insurance. They seem to take Medicaid only. I am a drug user trying to quit, but unless you've totally destroyed your life and have nothing left (which allows you to go on Medicaid), the initial visit + the monthly visits + the medication (not sure if covered) will cost me around $950 per month! I do not understand how drugaddicts manage this type of cost?!? Please, if anyone knows a reasonable doctor or clinic, let me know...
Alix
alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2005, 03:10 AM   #28
Saved by sub

From what I understand not many doctors will take insurance for suboxone treatment. Mine is cash only, even if he was my primary family doctor he still would not take my insurance for sub. Medication was included in my price. I only know of one ot two people who managed to get insurance to cover it. I remember someone saying that you might be able to submit the bills to your insurance company your self. Are you looking just to detox or sub maintenance? My doctor charges me around $400 a month for maintenance which is nothing to what I was spending on hydro a month. Maybe you can speak with your primary doctor first and ask him if he would be interested in getting certified? Good luck with your search!
Saved by sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2005, 02:51 PM   #29
spanky

Iwas taking mass quanties of pain meds whatever I could get oxys,perks,methadone,pain patches sometimes upwards of 30-50 pills aday.I took my last on Aug 3rd and went cold turkey,needless to say I got very,very sick so much so that on day 4 I checked myself into a Detox facility.There they gave me Bup.on a 5 day tapor and released me after 9 days.I remained very sick for awhile.Now here it is about 50 some odd days later and I still have this overwhelming fatigue,constant gooseflesh,I can't sleep,and in generalfeel like s..t!Now by the grace of GOD I have not relasped even though pills are all around me,but I gotta tell ya I,m about to crack!My question is will Bup work for me as a maintance drug till such time as my brain heals abit and if so will I have to endure this misery again when I tapor off of it?Please any help on this matter will be appricated as I am at the end of my rope. Thanks
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2005, 03:24 AM   #30
Caroline

Spanky, congratulations on your 50 days of abstinence...probably 60 days now. While it might have been easier for you with a slow bupe taper, you are off opioids now and I would suggest that you try to get through the lingering post acute withdrawal symptoms with non-addicting medications such as clonidine, trazadone, etc. You might need to have some additional support during this period, like church or NA support groups, etc. Find some interesting things to do, some hobbies or other activities. Think about goals you would like to achieve and plan on how to accomplish them....then go ahead and do it. Build your self confidence and inner strength. Even though you might not feel terrific right now, you will in time, and you know there is a safety net (bupe) available if you need it.
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2005, 09:20 AM   #31
purple

i am not sure but try going in the other direction on the locator from nyc like rockland co. or new jersey they both border nyc HOPE YOU FINDE SOME ONE
purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2005, 10:48 AM   #32
VIPERFPG

HI ALL,

FIRST LET ME SAY, THIS BOARD WAS A LIFESAVER FROM GOD YESTERDAY, I WANT TO THANK ALL OF YOU FOR BEING SO HONEST AND SHARING THE TRUTH OF THIS DEVIL IN THE FORM OF PILLS THAT CAN SO QUICKLY AND DOES SO QUICKLY GRAB ALL WALKS OF LIFE...
I WILL NOW TRY TO BE AS HONEST AS ALL OF YOU..I AM 43 YR OLD WIFE/MOTHER/LARGE SIZE BIZ OWNER..WHO HAS LIVED A DIRTY HIDDEN LIE FOR 8 YRS NOW..
I HAVE BEEN UPTO 20--25 HYDRO'S, CURRENTLY NOW AT AROUND 12-15 AND CLIMBING (OF COURSE) I HAVE TO TAKE 3-5 TO BE ABLE TO MAKE MY SON'S LUNCH IN THE MORNINGS----THAT'S SO SICK---
I GOT HERE LONG AGO--WITH BACK PROBLEMS--HAVE HAD 2 BACK SURGERIES---THAT WENT REALLY WELL----IF I TELL THE TRUTH----HOWEVER I BLEED THE BACK THING TO DEATH---ONLY TO FEED THE DEMON OF ADDITION...
I HAVE LIED TO ALL--WHO LOVE ME---TO DOCTORS---TO ANYONE TO GET PILLS..
I ALSO I FEEL BECAME HOOKED IN THE MESS OF HELL--WITH EMOTIONAL PAIN ALSO--AT THE TIME OF GOING THROUGH DEATH WITH MY FATHER AND TAKING CARE OF HIM LOOSING LEGS ETC---AND ALSO MY WONDERFUL HUSBAND YRS AGO WHO IS MY BEST FRIEND AND SO SO SUPPORTIVE---STRAYED, BECAUSE I HAD BECOME SO UNATTACHED FROM THE WORLD---OF COURSE I USED THAT AS AN EXCUSE TO GO DEEPER INTO MY ADDITONS AND SECLUSION---
I WENT TO REHAB ONCE THIS PAST JAN--AND BOLTED AFTER 9 DAYS---WAS SOBER FOR 10 WEEKS UNTIL I HAD THE LAST BACK SURGERY THIS PAST SPRING--AND OF COURSE I STARTED THE NIGHTMARE ALL OVER AGAIN..
I AM PRAYING THIS MORNING THAT I CAN FIND A LOCAL DOCTOR WHO HAS A OPENING FOR THE SUB PROGRAM---SO PLEASE TO ANYONE WHO READS THIS, HOLD ME IN YOUR PRAYERS TODAY TO GET INTO THIS PROGRAM--I AM A PERSON IN LIFE WHO HAS BEEN SO BLESSED---IN EVERYWAY--FAMILY--LOVE---A WONDERFUL LIFE---OF --WELL A LIFE AS A LITTLE GIRL I COULD HAVE ONLY DREAMED OF---I NEED TO BE SOBER AND BE OFF MY ASS TO GET OUT IN THIS WORLD AND HELP PEOPLE WHO HAVE NOT BEEN BLESSED AS I HAVE BEEN...
BUT I HAVE BECOME A SELFISH---ADDICTED CHEATING--LIAR WHO HAS LOCKED MYSELF IN A BIG HOUSE-----AND THOUGHT ONLY OF MYSELF AND PILLS.
SO PRAY FOR ME TO GET IN AND GET OFF MY ASS AND HELP OTHERS..
MAY GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU...
YOU WILL NEVER KNOW HOWMUCH YESTERDAY ALL OF YOU---HELPED ME TO TAKE ACTION---AND FEEL ALITTLE ENCOURAGED THAT THERE IS HELP AND THAT I CAN DO IT---
YOU ALL TRULY GAVE---UNCONDITIONAL LOVE BY TAKING THE TIME TO HELP PEOPLE LIKE ME---
I HOPE MAYBE MY MESSAGE SOMEDAY CAN HELP SOMEONE---
I HOPE TO WRITE ON HERE SOON---THAT I HAVE GOTTEN INTO THE SUB PROGRAM AND TO TELL YOU ALL---THAT I AM DAILY GETTING SOBER--
SO AGAIN HOLD ME IN PRAYER
AS I WILL ALL OF YOU
GOD BLESS..
ALL OF YOU ARE TRULY SOME AMAZING PEOPLE--SO GIVING
YOU REALLY ALL HELPED ME...
VIPERFPG is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to VIPERFPG For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-07-2011)
Unread 10-24-2005, 07:44 PM   #33
spanky

VIPERFPG first off you need to not be so hard on yourself!What you have is a disease just like cancer and sometimes it can be just as hard to beat.The good news is that it can be beat ,it will take alot of work on your part but there are better days ahead!You have taken the first and most important step and that is to admit and accept that you have a problem and shown the desire to do something about it.That is HUGH and is the first step toward recovery and those better days we we're talking about.You also seem to relize that there is power in prayer and that is a powerful tool to have at your disposal.I also can speak from experience that you are on the right track with the Bupe (Sub)it is truely a Godsend and will enable you to get down to the bussiness of recovery without the cravings or the crippling effects odf withdrawal.YOU MUST STAY POSITIVE! Remember anything is possible if you want it bad enough and are willing to put in the work it takes to achieve it.Insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results.Bupe will give you the time and clarity you need to look inward and work on the things you need to change to get well and stay well.I can promise you that you will be in my prayers and things will get better ! Keep posting so we can all celebrate your sucess and don,t forget to give thanks each day for all that you do have!It all starts NOW and gets better with each passing day! PEACE SPANKY
One User Says Thank You to spanky For This Useful Post:
Thank You (02-22-2015)
Unread 10-25-2005, 12:15 AM   #34
gwen

hey viperfpg, spanky is absolutely right. you are being hard on yourself and yes, you have a disease. my story runs similar to yours. oxys. started after back surgery over 5 years ago. then i just kept taking them. switching doctors. buying them off the streets. hiding it from my kids. lying to my husband. he figured it out. whatever i had to do. finally enough was enough. admitting and accepting the fact that you have this disease is first step. getting the help you need is the next. and i wholeheartedly agree, bupe is the way to go. physically, mentally and emotionally.

i truly believe, from what you wrote and the emotion with which you wrote, that you WANT to start the process. take the step. find a doctor from the list you can access from this site, make that phone call. and write to us with as many questions, concerns or just your thoughts or whatever you want to share. there are plenty of us on this forum who were where you are now, or are where you are now. and, many more along with spanky and myself that are here and will be here for you.

we'll help you through. you CAN do this!!
peace and love,
gwen
Unread 10-25-2005, 01:27 AM   #35
VIPERFPG

DEAR SPANKY & GWEN,

BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE I MUST SAY---I HAVE PRAYED FOR GOD TO BLESS YOU BOTH---YOU HAVE LIFTED ME SO HIGH TONIGHT, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BOTH OF YOUR WORDS OF ENCOURAGMENT.......
I DID GET INTO A DOCTOR, I GO NEXT TUESDAY FOR MY ACCESSMENT, AND THEN THEY SAID I WILL SEE THE DOCTOR ON WED AM. THE NURSE TOLD ME TO KEEP TAKING MEDS UNTIL TUE AND THEN THEY WILL TELL ME TO STOP AND NOT TAKE ANY FROM WHEN I LEAVE THERE OFFICE ON TUES AND I AM GUESSING WHEN I SEE THE DOC ON WED AM THAT I WILL BE GIVEN MY FIRST DOSE??? NOT REAL SURE HOW ALL THIS BUP WORKS...I AM JUST SO THANKFUL TO HAVE GOTTEN IN...THE OTHER THING I DON'T KNOW ABOUT. THE NURSE STATED THAT I WILL BE REQUIRED TO GO TO CLASSES 4 NIGHTS A WEEK FOR 3 HRS EACH NIGHT AND THIS WILL BE FOR 4 WEEKS..MY RESPONSE WAS---WELL WHATEVER IT TAKES---IS WHAT I WILL DO..BUT IS THIS NORMAL??? AND DO YOU THINK IN 4 WEEKS THAT MEANS I WILL BE OFF OF THE BUP ALSO??
I AM JUST ALITTLE CONCERNED, BECAUSE I AM A LONG TIME---8 YRS, AND HEAVY HYDRO USER, WILL I BE READY IN 4 WEEKS TO BE OFF THE BUP???
WELL ANYWAY--I ONCE AGAIN AM SO THANKFUL TO HAVE GOTTEN IN, I WILL KEEP YOU GUYS POSTED, AND YOU WILL NEVER KNOW THE TRUE INSPIRATION, AND JUST ALL OUT WARMTH THAT I FELT FROM BOTH OF YOU TONIGHT..
I LOOK FORWARD TO READING THIS BOARD ALL THE TIME NOW..
AND FOR ALL OTHERS READING THIS---THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE WRITTEN ON THIS BOARD, IT CAN REALLY HELP THE ONES OF US LIKE ME TO TAKE THAT FIRST STEP..

GOD BLESS SPANKY & GWEN ONCE AGAIN
AND TO ALL OTHERS IN OUR PLACES IN THIS BATTLE TO GET OUR LIVES BACK
HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEK
VIPERFPG
Unread 10-25-2005, 01:33 AM   #36
Caroline

Viperfpg,
Good luck! Hope you find a bupe doc and get your life back soon.
In the future, please let your doctors know about your difficulties with opioid medications, so they can help you with your pain treatment while helping you to avoid a back-slide. Being completely honest with your docs is the best policy.
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2005, 01:53 PM   #37
Dr.Will

VIPERFPG, Here’s how it works: Every doctor has their own treatment plan, that’s what I expect the classes are. There is no standard plan. Hopefully you will be offered a maintenance plan after the 4 weeks, because that is unlikely to be long enough. The most important thing to know is that you must be feeling some withdrawal before you take your first dose of Buprenorphine, otherwise you can go into instant withdrawal. So if you do not feel withdrawal, or if you are anxious and canÂ’t tell if you are in witrhdrawal wait until you are sure. The doctor will let you wait in the office until you are. Before you go read this, it will help you know what to expect:
http://www.naabt.org/education/what_bt_like.cfm
and
overview of clinical pathways using Suboxone
shows a chart of a treatment plan (if you can’t open this one you’ll need to download the free PDF reader, just follow this link and the instructions) Get Free adobe reader
One more thing, the longer and more gradual your taper down when you stop Buprenorphine the better experience you will have I recommend 2mg./month.</div id="left">
Dr.Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2005, 07:28 PM   #38
VIPERFPG

DR. WILL,

WOW---YOU ROCK!!!
THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE VERY DETAILED HELP, I REALLY FEEL ALOT MORE AT EASE NOW ABOUT THE BIG (FIRST DAY)! I AM PLANNING ON TUES, WHICH IS THE FIRST APPT. TO STOP TAKING THAT MORNING, WHICH BY GOING AT 10:00 AM THE FOLLOWING MORNING ON WED, SHOULD GIVE ME A GOOD 24 WINDOW TO BE IN THE MILD/MODERATE WITHDRAWL STAGES, BUT I WILL TAKE YOUR ADVISE, IF I STILL DON'T FEEL THAT I AM IN ADVANCED ENOUGH STAGES I WILL COMMUICATE THIS TO THE DR. I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TODAY TO SEND ALL THIS WONDERFUL INFORMATION TO ME.
IT HAS TRULY BEEN A BLESSING.
I WILL KEEP POSTING WITH UPDATES AND OF COURSE SEEKING WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT AT TIMES I AM SURE..
I AGAIN HOPE THAT AT SOME POINT I CAN ONLY BE AS HELPFUL TO OTHERS AS ALL OF YOU HAVE BEEN TO ME IN THESE TRULY TRYING DAYS..

AGAIN THANKS
HAVE A WONDERUFL DAY TO ALL..
AND FOR ALL OF US---TO BETTER DAYS AHEAD
GOD BLESS ALL
LAST BUT NOT LEAST--ONCE AGAIN
TO SPANKY---GWEN--AND DR. WILL-
I THANK YOU FROM MY HEART
Unread 10-25-2005, 08:13 PM   #39
hakr08

How much withdrawl should you be in to take your first 8mg dose of subutex? My Doc said when i feel the first signs.
hakr08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2005, 10:44 PM   #40
gwen

viperfpg,
excellent news about the appointments next week! isn't dr. will great? he's provided us with alot of helpful information. it does sound like the classes might be group counseling sessions. which is great. it's a big part of the treatment. and dr. will is right, everyone must have their own gig. my doctor told me to get both individual counseling and then a group session - those people are great - we talk about what we're doing to stay better, our concerns, fears and our triumphs, not rehashing the past over and over again. and both have been of incredible help, as spanky says, to wrestle with the demons that got us here in the first place. my bupe doctor is great. he says i can take as long as i need with the bupe. especially because i was 5 years heavy on oxys.

i'm so happy for you. i wish that your doctor is as kind as mine. just remember to ask him everything you want to know. maybe write questions down. (i know, my mother ways are coming out!!

keep happy, keep psyched, keep grounded. i truly believe you're going to be so happy after your appointment!!!
peace and love-
gwen

hakr08,
you'll be in the doctor's office when you take your first dose won't you? that way they'll be keeping an eye on you.

i copied this from the reference on the site dr. will made earlier to viperfpg:

It is imperative that you be in withdrawal before taking your first dose of Buprenorphine. If you are not, you could experience severe withdrawal symptoms. This would cause you to think that the medication doesn’t work.

Buprenorphine is much stronger at the brain's receptor sites than any other opiates – such as heroin, painkillers, or methadone. This means that Buprenorphine will go directly to those sites and throw the other opiates off the sites causing the experience of violent and rapid withdrawal. Do not fool yourself. There is no way around the fact that you must be in mild to moderate withdrawal before taking Buprenorphine for the first time.

Another reason to be in withdrawal is that it is the only way for the doctor to determine what your proper dose should be.

for me, i stopped all oxys about 30 hours before i went to the doctors office. i was in what i would say moderate withdrawal - very naseous, sweats/chills, very, very irritable, etc. the thing is, i think it's difficult for anyone to tell you what that is because everyone is different. it's when you start feeling withdrawal, but not so bad into it that you want to die.

but make sure you are in mild to moderate withdrawal or else it will be acute withdrawal once you take the bupe.

good luck!! hope i was of some help....
peace-
gwen
Unread 10-26-2005, 02:02 AM   #41
Mike

As long you are starting to feel withdrawal, that is good enough. You don't have to be in deep withdrawal. If you are coming from oXys or methadone its better to be in deeper withdrawal. But if you are feeling the first few signs and if your pupils are dialated you'll be alright.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2005, 06:58 PM   #42
hakr08

I have a ? I was prescribed 16mg subutex 8mg twice a day. I took my first dose at 9:30 am this morning. When would the best time to take the second 8mg dose? It is about 4:00pm now. It is giving me a headaach. Is that a sign that i am due for a dose?
hakr08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2005, 08:14 PM   #43
Dr.Will

If you feel OK anytime would be fine. It lasts for about 72 hours so even if you took the whole thing (16mg.) every other day you should feel about the same. If you were going to have percipitated withdrawal it would have started with your first dose.
Dr.Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2005, 08:30 PM   #44
spanky

VIPERFPG Just wanted to chime in about the withdrawal part of the treatment.It is VERY IMPORTANT that you be in withdrawal!I personally would wait as long after my last dose of self meds (Hydro"s)as you could.Also ask specific questions especially pertaining to how long you can stay on as far as maintaince is concerned.It seems that the people who are able to take their time with this whole process have much better results.Look at you go!!Dr. appointment already,that's what I call getting on with the program.I'm so very proud of you .Trust me it's all down hill from here.I also agree with Gwen that counsling be it one on one or group is important!Soak it up you'll be all the better for it.Let us know how you do with the Bupe. INNER PEACE...........SPANKY

hark08 How much withdrawal depends alot on the type narcotics you were taking for example extended release oxy,s and methadone are longer acting and would be GOOD REASON to wait a little longer while hydro's,perks and such are shorter acting and you shouldn't have to wait as long.The important thing to remember here is to BE 100% HONEST with your Dr. and you should be ok.The Bupe works so well once it kicks in so any discomfort you have to suffer will be short lived.Keep us posted we want to know how you do.Remember there are better days ahead!PEACE SPANKY
Unread 10-27-2005, 06:40 PM   #45
VIPERFPG

HELLO TO ALL---

DR.WILL, SPANKY, & GWEN, OR ANYONE WHO CAN HELP!
AS YOU KNOW FROM PREVIOUS POST, I HAVE APPT NEXT WEEK TO START ON SUB. WHICH I AM SO LOOKING FORWARD TO--
HOWEVER NOW I AM SCARED TO DEATH---
I UNDERSTAND, THAT THERE'S NOT A FREE WALK OUT OF THIS NIGHTMARE,
HOWEVER I HAVE BEEN READING OTHER BOARDS ETC OVER THE PAST FEW DAYS REGARDING THIS TREATMENT---AND I AM FINDING NUMEROUS POST OF PEOPLE SAYING "DON'T GET ON SUB" THAT THE WITHDRAWL FROM THIS IS FAR WORSE THAN HYDRO W/D....
PLEASE ANY FEEDBACK WOULD HELP...

I REALLY DON'T THINK I CAN DO C.T.
I HAVE BEEN ON THIS ROAD A LONG TIME,
BUT I DON'T WANT TO SET MYSELF UP FOR AN EVEN LARGER FALL.
AGAIN ANY ADVISE WOULD BE GREATLY TAKEN IN..

I HOPE EVERYONE FIGHTING THIS BATTLE, HAS HAD A HOPEFUL DAY.
AND BLESSED DAY
GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU.

AND AGAIN THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP.
Unread 10-27-2005, 08:06 PM   #46
spanky

VIPFPJ The reality of the things we go through are just a matter of prespective.When someone sez that Bupe withdrawal was hell ,my question would be as compared to what?You see if you've never experencied withdrawal cold turkey or suffered with post acute withdrawal syndrome (P.A.W.S.)then maybe the withdrawal from Bupe was difficult.However what at this time are our choices?Continue to use?Go cold turkey ?Or get on Bupe tapor down properly for as long as you need with the support of all of us here?It seems to me from my PRESPECTIVE that the choice is easy.I have gone cold turkey and too have suffered with P.A.W.S.and would much prefer the worst that Bupe could throw at me compared to the best of the others.Bupe gives me the power to deal with withdrawal on my terms.Remember you are in my prayers that combined with your own prayers should assure you that all will be fine.At the very least it should let you know that you are not alone even when you are (if you get my meaning?)I too read some of the horror stories about Bupe withdrawal but in the end decided that withdrawal was something that I was gonna to have to face no matter what so I might as well do it on my time table under my control and as comfortable as it is possible and I"m sure through my current experience and prayer that I have made the right choice.Once you begin your head will clear up your strengh will return and you will find that you are much more prepared to deal with this than you think you are.Don't be afraid you are on the right track and we will all be here.Here's to a soft place to land..........SPANKY
One User Says Thank You to spanky For This Useful Post:
Thank You (12-07-2011)
Unread 10-29-2005, 08:50 PM   #47
gwen

viperfg, how you holding up?

let me know how you are.

peace-
gwen
Unread 11-01-2005, 10:19 AM   #48
VIPERFPG

GOOD MORNING GWEN & ALL---

FIRST LET ME SAY THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ASKING FOR AN UPDATE--TODAY IS THE BIG DAY I GO FOR MY ACCESSMENT, AND OF COURSE THE DR TOMORROW AM..I AM FEELING---ALITTLE UN EASY---MORE THE UNKNOWN THAN ANYTHING ELSE----
HOWEVER I FEEL MORE INSPIRED TODAY THEN I HAVE IN YEARS- OF TAKING ACTION TO GET THIS MONKEY OFF MY BACK---I WON'T BE DEFEATED--NO MATTER WHAT IT TAKES---
I HOPE YOU ARE DOING WELL GWEN AND ALL OTHES TOO.
THESE BOARDS HAVE TRULY BEEN A GOD SEND---IN HELPING ME TO FACE MY FEARS AND ADDICTIONS...
I HOPE EVERYONE READING HAS A GREAT DAY TODAY--
BE DRIVEN BY A VISION---WE CAN ALL DO THIS---

GOD BLESS TO ALL
THANKS AGAIN
VIPERFPG
PENNY
Unread 11-01-2005, 12:40 PM   #49
gwen

viperfpg!
good to hear from you. the assessment. great! the first step. be completely honest. one thing i've learned from experience... when starting the bupe treatment, i was honest. before that, well, lie after lie. it's also a freeing feeling. because they're not there to judge. they're there to help.

you'll do well. you've made the decision and as you said you're inspired. please let me know how it goes!

peace and love,
gwen
Unread 11-01-2005, 05:29 PM   #50
leeglegle

Viperfpg:
I type too slowly to say all that I want to say. You're going to succeed! Your future is the brightest it has ever been. Getting back to normal is fabulous! Don't worry about ANYthing,just go with the flow and listen to Gwen and all the other caring, informed participants in this forum.

Suboxone not only literally saved my life, it also healed much more than addiction. Remember that addiction is a very real disease of the brain. Suboxone will restore your brain to good health which will trigger all sort of other wonderful changes in you outlook on life.

A strong suggestion: ASAP visit the topics "Unsure of my Doctor" and my new posting "Suboxone and depression". Read those discussions backwards and you will see into your future.

Let us all know from your first day. Don't worry and you'll be happy.

To Life!
leeglegle is offline   Reply With Quote