Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 01-18-2017, 07:52 PM   #1
Soberdreaming1

Question Suboxone began 1 week ago today and I want off!

Hi everyone, I am semi new to the MAT world. A month ago I began on 30mg of methadone as an attempt to halt wds I was having from a 50-80mg hydrocodone a day for approximately a year. Methadone did not agree with me- panic attacks, inflammation causing chest pain. I made the switch to suboxone last Wednesday. I started out on 16mg weds, 16mg thursday, 16mg friday, 12mg Saturday, 8mg sunday, 8mg monday, 8mg tuesday, and 6mg weds.(today) I know most people will tell me I'm going too fast, but I am completely comfortable at this point. I am just ready to be done with the medication part of my recovery. I have 3 little boys, and schedules to maintain. I am over being a slave to this clinic. If anyone has any advice as to how I should taper quickly, while I'm still new to subs, I would truly appreciate it!
Soberdreaming1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2017, 05:34 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Soberdreaming1, welcome. That's a really tough question because everyone is so different in regards to WD. How long did you wait in between your last dose of methadone and your first dose of Suboxone? Did they immediately start you on 16mg of Suboxone?

Suboxone has around a 37-hour halflife, so if you want off quickly, think about cutting your down down again today, or skipping today and take a lower dose tomorrow. Another thing you can do is just stop the Suboxone and see how long you can go before you feel withdrawals and see the intensity of them.

Were you addicted to the hydro or physically dependent? That's a huge question. Basically addiction is uncontrollable, compulsive behavior despite negative consequences. Physical dependence is when the body gets used to a substance and has WDs when stopping - that can happen with caffeine, sugar, benzos, etc. Here's more detail on the difference:

http://www.naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm?ID=15

http://www.naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm?ID=16

Sorry for all the questions.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2017, 07:48 AM   #3
Soberdreaming1

Hi NancyB! They made me wait 50 hours after my last dose of methadone to start the suboxone. They gave me 8 to start out with, waited an hour, then gave me 8mg more bc of my cows score. I wish I would have checked on here before I went to the clinic.. They are kind of pushing their opinion that I'm going too quickly and I ended up dosing 8mg today. I was physically dependant on the hydrocodone. Thank you for your quick reply! I have a support system within my home, but none that are familiar with this kind of stuff.
Unread 01-19-2017, 10:41 AM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi again, if you were physically dependent, then you don't need addiction treatment. In my opinion, they should have recommended that you taper off of the hydro instead of even going to methadone. But we'll deal with what's going on now.

Think about skipping a day or even more if you don't feel too badly. The halflife is very long and it would be good to get some of that worked out of your system more quickly.

Please keep us posted!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 01-19-2017, 10:54 AM   #5
Soberdreaming1

Hi Nancy, that's what I thought as well but I couldn't find a doctor to do that for me, it's been very frustrating. I do have past addiction issues with methamphetamine (years ago) I will take your advice and keep you posted! Thank you!
Unread 01-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #6
NancyB
Administrator

I'll keep you in my thoughts that you can do this easily!

Nancy
Unread 01-23-2017, 06:03 PM   #7
Lx2077

Hello soberdreaming1,
I too was "physically" addicted to opiates for 14 YEARS!!! Due to multiple back surgeries and was up too 240mg of Oxy a day,I am now off of ALL opiates including suboxone and came out of it basically un-scaved there is NOTHING about suboxone that I don't know That being said I will tell you I am totally shocked that a doctor would put you on methadone for a hydro addiction well I'm glad to see your off that and double glad to hear you were inducted properly into suboxone and went through a cows sheet,as far as your taper understand there's what they call a "ceiling affect" which is basically the smallest amount needed to reachieve the optimal affect and it doesn't take much sub at all to reach that and that my friend is why you are finding it easy to drop so fast HOWEVER be advised when u get to smaller doses such as 2mg and below you WILL start to see and feel a diffrent please understand suboxone is NOT a magic bullet however it is a wonderful life saving drug when TAKING CORRECTLY,please do not rush it suboxone is an extremely powerful drug and is infact an opiate with an added chemical called nalaxon which acts as an agonist to prevent the opiate to binding to the endorphin receptor which allows you to start to have a not Mal live again education is key at this point the more you know what's going on the better you will succeed also understand the extreme half life of this medicine,you will start having a build up when taking every day which is fine in the beginning and is the reason for such an easy taper I went all the way down to 0.125mg which is 1/8 of 1mg before I stopped and had little to no WD I would continue to taper 25-50% every week until you reach 2mg than stay on 2mg for 10 days than go to 1mg your body will need appx. 2-3 days to adjust to it but you will be fine I also had some help with other medications such as melatonin and Seroquel for full nights sleep and robaxin which is a NON BENZO muscle relaxer and clonidine which is a pressure medicine that and a lot of water and eating which is KEY to keeping up that energy was a life saver also excise is very important.I'm sure you can do it as you sound strong willed and wish you GREAT SUCCESS and just like me everyone hear KNOWS what your going g through and the journey you have ahead,should you have any other questions or concerns or just want to talk please respond
Lx2077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2017, 07:05 PM   #8
Soberdreaming1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lx2077 View Post
Hello soberdreaming1,
I too was "physically" addicted to opiates for 14 YEARS!!! Due to multiple back surgeries and was up too 240mg of Oxy a day,I am now off of ALL opiates including suboxone and came out of it basically un-scaved there is NOTHING about suboxone that I don't know That being said I will tell you I am totally shocked that a doctor would put you on methadone for a hydro addiction well I'm glad to see your off that and double glad to hear you were inducted properly into suboxone and went through a cows sheet,as far as your taper understand there's what they call a "ceiling affect" which is basically the smallest amount needed to reachieve the optimal affect and it doesn't take much sub at all to reach that and that my friend is why you are finding it easy to drop so fast HOWEVER be advised when u get to smaller doses such as 2mg and below you WILL start to see and feel a diffrent please understand suboxone is NOT a magic bullet however it is a wonderful life saving drug when TAKING CORRECTLY,please do not rush it suboxone is an extremely powerful drug and is infact an opiate with an added chemical called nalaxon which acts as an agonist to prevent the opiate to binding to the endorphin receptor which allows you to start to have a not Mal live again education is key at this point the more you know what's going on the better you will succeed also understand the extreme half life of this medicine,you will start having a build up when taking every day which is fine in the beginning and is the reason for such an easy taper I went all the way down to 0.125mg which is 1/8 of 1mg before I stopped and had little to no WD I would continue to taper 25-50% every week until you reach 2mg than stay on 2mg for 10 days than go to 1mg your body will need appx. 2-3 days to adjust to it but you will be fine I also had some help with other medications such as melatonin and Seroquel for full nights sleep and robaxin which is a NON BENZO muscle relaxer and clonidine which is a pressure medicine that and a lot of water and eating which is KEY to keeping up that energy was a life saver also excise is very important.I'm sure you can do it as you sound strong willed and wish you GREAT SUCCESS and just like me everyone hear KNOWS what your going g through and the journey you have ahead,should you have any other questions or concerns or just want to talk please respond
Hi there! I've dropped even more as of today, my schedule has gone like this and I'm feeling fine so far:
No dose friday
4mg Sat
No dose Sunday
2mg today
I plan on skipping tomorrow
1mg weds and will every other day go down .5
I only have 6mg left and I refuse to go back to the clinic. I dont like the way I am being treated there at all.
Unread 01-24-2017, 06:10 AM   #9
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Soberdreaming1, good to hear so far, so good. You might want to think about skipping 2 days to stretch what you have out a little more. Might work ok because of the long halflife. And if you start to feel crappy, take a teeny piece.

Still have fingers crossed for you!

Nancy
Unread 01-24-2017, 08:09 AM   #10
Soberdreaming1

Thank you Nancy! I was feeling a little cruddy this morning. I have a wicked cold or something, I took 1mg this morning but will definitely try 2 days after today. I have some hydrocodone of things get rough when I am out of suboxone, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I won't need any as I'm not sure how it will affect me now that I've been on suboxone. Thank you for your good advice and checking in on me!!
One User Says Thank You to Soberdreaming1 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-24-2017)
Unread 01-25-2017, 06:54 PM   #11
NancyB
Administrator

Hi again, I hope you're feeling better and you don't have the flu or anything like that.

Fingers crossed that skipping 2 days works!!

Nancy
Unread 01-26-2017, 05:19 PM   #12
theswan

Good luck in tapering. I was at 16mg but by the time I stopped,I was talking crumbs. I had little wd by then I thought was the rush?

After a year off my pain kinda forced me back on but I have no qualms about using bupe for pain. It is nothing like the oxy's or morphine I used to take

Glen
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #13
robbdawg30

I tottaly understand that wish you the best luck ...and just keep up the good work
robbdawg30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2017, 08:33 AM   #14
jlmc1978

Just throwing this out...that people who are addicted to opiates long-term and try Suboxone treatment, but stay less than a year on Suboxone, they have a 90% chance of relapse. So if you were addicted to the point of being dependent, there's a huge chance that odds are stacked. Less than 6 months, the success rate of Sub is even less..
Wouldn't it be awful if you wasted all this time being clean to fall back down? You mentioned having some opiates in case something happened...
That's addict behavior ..
Save some for a rainy day? No..not a good idea.
Opiate addiction starts by having little/no self control. No self control leads to addiction without any boundaries.
Not a path I'd recommend. I don't keep anything opiate in my house ...I'm not going to have any rainy days.
I'm nearing 10 years since I touched an opiate....
Isn't always easy, but it's always clean and sober.
jlmc1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Say Thank You to jlmc1978 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (02-06-2017), Thank You (02-06-2017), Thank You (02-08-2017)
Unread 03-11-2017, 05:10 PM   #15
jayded655321

Hey sober,
Just wanted to see how you feel. Great big props to you for ridding yourself of the suboxone so quickly. Even if you're still on it, you still have a good shot at kicking it. 2 months is still considered newbie status on here. I really hope you're doing well. I just quit after 10 years of use and it feels good. Not an easy task, had to go to rehab to quit but that's cuz I was on it for so long. Anyway just go for it....peace
jayded655321 is offline   Reply With Quote