Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 11-15-2016, 07:04 PM   #1
gratefultobesober

I am a recovering addict on suboxone and I would like to join this group. I was just fired from a major oil company offshore for flagging for suboxone. I was told by my doctor that I did not have to disclose that information. I had no problems with my pre hire test and one random test. This last random test I flagged for a swab test. I Was wanting to get another job offshore and I do not know what to do. I would like to be honest but I don't know what to do. I don't think DOT test for sub yet but I am not sure. My doctor will write a letter saying it is safe for me to work on a safety sensitive job. I have been on suboxone 6 years and was at my current job for 3 yrs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
gratefultobesober is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2016, 07:07 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi gratefultobesober, welcome. Sorry you are going through this. Did you tell your former company that you have a legal prescription for Suboxone? Is it anywhere in their company manual/rules/whatever that states you cannot be prescribed Suboxone while working there? Please take a look at this pdf to see if there's anything in there that might be helpful. It's about your rights as a person in medication assisted treatment:
http://www.samhsa.gov/sites/default/...chure_0110.pdf

You can also see if there's something like that outlining your rights in your state. If you want (and you are totally not obligated because we are an anonymous forum), let us know what state you're in and maybe someone who had the same issue can help.

Have you tried to look up anywhere to see if the DOT in your state tests for bupe? If they do, perhaps you can go anyways with your doctor's note and anything you find out about MAT protection in your state.

I hope this is helpful. That is just wrong (and perhaps illegal) that you were fired from your last job because of a legal prescription.

Please let us know.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2016, 10:16 PM   #3
gratefultobesober

Mam, Thank you for your response. I did provide evidence to my employer that I did have a legal prescription of suboxone. I have never saw anywhere that I could not work for them on suboxone. From what I understand there is no such list. My employer claimed that I had 3 chances to disclose that I was on it. My doctor told me I did not have to disclose this info. I have been doing some research and some companies do not allow you to work offshore on it and others simply do not test for it. I took a dot urine analysis for my company. It was a swab that flagged for bupe. I was employed by one of the biggest oil companies so I am quessing they could afford it. I would say the name of the company if I thought it could help others. I live in Louisiana and work offshore in the GOM. From what it seems like some companies do not even know about sub but I thinking before long they all will be testing for it. I will talk to my doctor tomorrow and hopefully get more info. I think they will call
My new employer and ask what is their policy for people wanting to work for them on subs. I am thinking that I will not say anything if they do not test for it and just try to wean off. I would prefer to be honest but I am a single father of 2 and I need to get back to work. Offshore production is all I know. Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you and God Bless
gratefultobesober is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2016, 06:30 AM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi again, that's interesting that your former employer said you had 3 chances to disclose that you're a bupe patient. Did they come right out and ask you?

Please let us know what you find out from your doctor today. It just seems so unfair.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote