Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 03-14-2016, 11:39 AM   #1
Cobnobuler

Default Pre Employment

Hello all, pleased to meet you all. This is my first visit to this particuler forum so what I can tell you is I am a recovering addict after a 14 year habit I have been clean except for Subs for 3 years now. Now, I have tapered down to where I only take one half of one strip per day.
I have an immediate problem and of course very little people to talk to about it.I'll try to keep it as short as possible, and if this topic is in the wrong forum my apologies to the mods.
I've been trying to keep my life together and have been recently having trouble getting a decent job. I'm in a very depressed area, and it doesnt help that I am over 50 so most won't even give me a chance.
Anyway, I finally land something decent at a senior citizen facility that pays pretty well and the hours are great. I did great with the interview and they pushed me right through the process. (Backround checks, TB tests, Physical, etc.
Then There was the drug test by urine speciman that they test right on the grounds there in their lab.
I nearly fell over when the girl came back in like 5 minutes after I peed in the cup and said, " I'm sorry to tell you your test is Positive" She asked about my meds and I listed them but I didnt think or never dreamed they would test for Sub especially in an instant test like this but she finally said " Your positive for something someone of Suboxene would have " Well, I could just cry and I'm a grown man but its been so hard to get something and now this.They havent told me no yet but suddenly ( and everybody in the place seemed to know about it) the mood toward me started to change as if I was a junkie trying to sneak past them
Anyway, to keep this as short as possible, I'm just devastated.
If they choose not to hire me do I have any legal recourse ? I mean I have all the "Welcome Aboard" manuals and everything else they give new employees and I did all the paperwork for taxes and such and direct deposit and stuff, I WAS IN is what I'm trying to say and now.... They said they'll have to call me.
Meanwhile HIPPA violations happened all over the place. I ran to my Dr and got a nice letter explaining that I have been successfully treated for 3 years and would have no ill effects from driving so it shouldnt be a concern. I took the letter down to give to the transportation manager and he was out so I said to the secretary that I needed him to see this letter and what did she do? She took it out and read it !! SO of course now its all around and I am a very private person.
At my Dr office where I've been treated, they are just flabbergasted that this place even tests for Suboxene and especially to get an immediate positive result. They can't believe it, they are an addiction clinic and they have to wait extra days for the Sub part of the drug tests to come back because it isnt part of the rest of the screening and this place determines all this in 5 minutes on the spot?
Any ideas at this point PLEASE ? And thank you all for reading.

Last edited by Cobnobuler; 03-14-2016 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: smiley gif in text
Cobnobuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2016, 03:34 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Cobnobuler, welcome. I googled and they do have some urine tests that include buprenorphine in them. Here's one for example:
http://www.homehealthtesting.com/13-...drug-test.html

As for legal recourse, please read this pdf by SAMHSA - the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (Federal agency) about your rights as a person in recovery.
http://www.naabt.org/documents/know_your_rights_01.pdf

From page 4:
THE FEDERAL NON-DISCRIMINATION LAWS THAT PROTECT YOU
Q: I am in recovery from substance abuse, but I still face discrimi- nation because of my addiction history. Does any law protect me?
A: Yes. Federal civil rights laws prohibit discrimination in many areas of life against qualified “individuals with disabilities.” Many people with past and current alcohol problems and past drug use disorders, including those in treatment for these illnesses, are pro- tected from discrimination by:

• The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
• The Rehabilitation Act of 1973
• The Fair Housing Act (FHA) and
• The Workforce Investment Act (WIA).

I hope that's a start. Let us know what happens.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-24-2016)
Unread 03-14-2016, 04:55 PM   #3
Cobnobuler

Nancy,
Thank you for the helpful resource. I would rather they just let me have the job as intended before all this came up. But if they don't I do feel like I have then been discriminated against because I otherwise have the job. ( until this came up)
If any others here have input I would be glad to hear it.
Thanks

C
Unread 03-19-2016, 07:10 PM   #4
jolter

Hi and welcome! These quicky Bupe included test unfortunatly have become quite common in some of the smaller companies in my area (mid south).
At least thats what I've been hearing.
Can understand a test for a driving job or something but Bupe should not be included.
Some folks will probably disagree with me but thats just my opinion.
Labeling people who are trying to get there lives back together just doesn't seem very helpful to me.
Again, welcome aboard and let us know how your doing.
jolter is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to jolter For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-24-2016)
Unread 03-19-2016, 08:28 PM   #5
jimash55

Default Cob

I know honesty is the best policy but I think if I were you I would explain that I am taking Buprenorphine for pain.These things happen and it's wrong and you are living proof that the general public don't know the first thing about addiction let alone recovery!
I wouldn't take this very well and even if I didn't get the job I would raise so much hell that it just may help the next person that's in your situation. Speak up and defend yourself because your not a doormat! Get on the telephone and contact the Legal Action Center(LAC) in Washington DC and New York. I have talked to them on a few occasions and received some good information. You can google the adress and then e-mail or call.
You made a wise choice coming to Naabt and explaining your situation...hope you stick around and keep us posted. Stay Strong!!
jimash55 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to jimash55 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (03-24-2016), Thank You (03-20-2016)
Unread 03-24-2016, 12:47 PM   #6
Cobnobuler

Well friends, here I am again very sorry to say they will not give me the job now based on the findings of my drug test (as they interpret them anyway.) This has been very stressful for me since after I was given all of the welcoming paperwork and such and now they won't speak to me.
So, I contacted a lawyer who is a retired Circuit Court Judge and told him the story and he said " I believe you absolutely do have a legal case against them" So, I'm going to try to pursue it. The judge told me that he is going to connect me with an associate of his that specializes in employment law ( since he doesn't) and I should be expecting a call from him. I would imagine I should get that call because this guy is a retired Judge with a lot of clout and is well known. I was very lucky to get him on the phone to explain this.
What do I want ? I dunno, but what I don't want is for them to just get away with doing this to somebody. After all, I had told all of my friends and family that I finally got a job and its very hard to get them in my area especially for somebody that is 55 years old.
If you are reading this, I thank you for listening and again, I will be back to report on what happens if you are interested.
Thanks
C

PS thanks for the link to the Know Your Rights outline as I have printed it out and it is now a part of my paperwork, and also the Legal Action Center as I just may have need in that area as well. I just can't take this without protesting it. And yes, if not for me, maybe for the next person that faces this type of discrimination.
Bless you all
Unread 03-24-2016, 07:30 PM   #7
NancyB
Administrator

Wow Cobnobuler, I'm really sorry to hear that. Did they specifically say that it was because of the drug test, even though you have a valid prescription? I'm not a litigious person, but I think you're doing the right thing by taking legal action.

Please do keep us updated on what happens. It's just not fair.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 03-25-2016, 12:25 PM   #8
Cobnobuler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyB View Post
. Did they specifically say that it was because of the drug test, even though you have a valid prescription?
Well what they are doing is giving me the brush off when I go there in person and also when I call on the phone. After a few muffled exchanges that I can overhear they come back and say, "Sorry he is not available right now"
Thats how they are treating me.
Unread 03-26-2016, 06:53 AM   #9
NancyB
Administrator

Please keep us posted on what is going on. I feel so angered by this and badly for you having to go through this discrimination.

Nancy
Thank You (03-26-2016)
Unread 04-03-2016, 10:20 PM   #10
Cobnobuler

Well, here I am again.
I had my phone consultation with the bigshot attorney from the big city and no sooner it starts as soon as I mention the dirty S word he stops me right there and took an immediate attitude about it.
"Whats that? What do you take that stuff for?" and so on. It's just amazing how people that have so much power can know so little. It never got much better than that. He informed me that the burden is all on me to prove first of all, that they are absolutely not going to hire me, and secondly, that they hired somebody else and the person they hired was under the age of 55. ( I'm almost 56)
So, meantime twice more I contacted the place that "hired" me already and they wont commit to telling me anything definite. They won't tell me straight up that they are not going to hire me, rather they keep saying "they are looking into my paperwork"
The attorney says I have 1 and only 1 option and that is to file a complaint with I believe he said it was the EEOC or something similar. They handle discrimination complaints and he says I have no other option than that. And, he reminded me that he just gave me $200 worth of legal advice for free.
He then all but hung up on me.
This isn't over yet. ( Unless it is and I don't know it yet )
Unread 04-04-2016, 06:15 AM   #11
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Cobnobuler, in thinking about it after reading what the lawyer said, it seems like that company is doing what they can to avoid a lawsuit by not even saying you don't have a job there. It's like they're trying to figure out what to do to not hire you, but not get sued for not hiring you. Have you seen the job you were offered advertised anywhere? Maybe it's time to contact the Legal Action Center Jim mentioned in an earlier post just to see what they have to say.

In the meantime, if it were me, I would keep calling that company every single day asking what your start date is. At this point, you have nothing to lose, I don't think anyways. Keep records of every time you call and what they say.

I'm glad you said it's not over yet. What they're doing is discriminatory and you have every right to pursue it.

Thanks for the update.

Nancy
Thank You (04-04-2016)
Unread 04-04-2016, 03:19 PM   #12
Cobnobuler

Quote:
Have you seen the job you were offered advertised anywhere?
....Funny you mention that Nancy. In this weeks Sunday paper they have a big ad advertising for the job I was "hired" for. That really upset me.
I am going to keep calling them. I called them Friday and they actually called me back although they didnt say much. I'm going to call them tomorrow.
Thanks for the input Nancy
Unread 04-05-2016, 09:27 PM   #13
jimash55

Default Cob

....the Legal Action Center is your best bet... have you contacted them.?
jimash55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2016, 07:24 PM   #14
Cobnobuler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimash55 View Post
....the Legal Action Center is your best bet... have you contacted them.?
I've been looking over the site. I may inquire with them but according to the attorney, there is one and only one course of action to take and that is to file a complaint with the EEOC.
If things continue as they are, I will be filing it. I just am not sure if I want to go that alone of let the attorney do it, but he wants 200 dollars for it.
I'm told by some friends that I shouldnt need help filing the intial paperwork but I'm still deciding on what to do.

Thanks all
Unread 04-10-2016, 09:33 AM   #15
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Cobnobuler, in my opinion, it wouldn't hurt to talk with someone at the Legal Action Center - you wouldn't be obligated to tell them your name or anything I would imagine. Just see what they say and go from there.

Did you keep the paper with that job listing in it? That right there is huge.

Keep us posted!

Nancy
Unread 04-10-2016, 11:29 AM   #16
Cobnobuler

Quote:

Did you keep the paper with that job listing in it? That right there is huge.
Oh you bet I did. I keep everything related to all this. Every phone call is documented as well.
One User Says Thank You to Cobnobuler For This Useful Post:
Thank You (04-10-2016)
Unread 05-25-2016, 01:01 AM   #17
Wrl78

This is a shame. People take all kinds of prescriptions. As long as it is prescribed to the person, it should not be a problem. Like anything else.
Wrl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2016, 03:59 PM   #18
Carlos

If the.employer does not give you the job because you are on Bupernorphine Treatment is a violation of the American with Disabilities Act.

Am not familiar with any case of Bupernorphine as of yet. But if you.Google Methadone ADA there is a coue of cases that have been won by Methadone patients, should be the same for Suboxome cases.

If employer sent you for urine test it means pretty much you got.the job.

Thanks to the ,12 steps.of NA society at large have takeing the horse rubbish attitudes that Methadone and Suboxe.is.Substituting one dru for another.
I.assure you that both Methadone and Bupernorphine is consider.medical.treatment no matter what 12Steps.true believers cuacks believe. which in my opinion they can keep to thselves because they are science illiterates that are following a religion not medical treatment.

Don't let them confuse you, I can assure you.they are full of rubbish.
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2016, 11:32 PM   #19
Cobnobuler

Well, it's time for me to check in here again. Sorry it has been awhile since lasy I posyrf. What I wanted to make you all aware of is that I'm now 4 weeks into a new job that looks like its going to work out much better for me ( and pays a great deal more) than the job I was fighting so hard to hang onto, even though it was clear that they didnt want to hire me after the issue of Suboxone came up.
And just as importantly, I have been jumping through the usual hoops and bureacracy involved but I had my complaint submitted and later on accepted by the EEOC.
All I do now is wait. They tell me it could tae 6 months at the longest until they can complete an investigation, but the good thing is, It's going to happen, and if results in changes as to how this company conducts drug testing, and how they proceed whenever there are issues especially with regards t Suboxone, then I have done what I set out to do.

Thank you all for listening, and I will return.
Unread 06-23-2016, 05:05 AM   #20
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Cobnobuler, congrats on the new and better job! And also many many thanks for being persistent with the complaint against that other company. You're doing such a great service by doing that and hopefully, precipitating change in that company's policies.

Please do keep us posted when you have time. Again, congratulations on the new job!

Nancy
Thank You (06-24-2016)
Unread 08-16-2016, 07:25 AM   #21
Wrl78

Glad to hear it worked out!
Wrl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2016, 08:47 AM   #22
asouth32

I applied for a job, got the interview and decided to be honest with them about my recovery. WRONG IDEA.... They wouldn't hire me, they didn't come right out and say that they didn't hire me because of the recovery issue. I am guessing that it was that though. I went back and applied a year later, I am working there now and have been there three weeks. Apparently they have forgotten what I told them and I didn't think to "mention" it either. Its a shame that you have to be dishonest about your past to get a decent job around here.
I know most people would have just came out with it, thing is I needed that 15.79 a hour job badly and I couldn't take any chances on losing that offer. The overtime that they work and the amount of money I will be making will keep us caught up and get us out of the slump we are in right now.
I am hoping that maybe one day the prejudice against recovering addicts will change, but until then I have to work and pay bills. That was the only place I have ever told I was in recovery, never got hired that time and even asked why I wasn't hired. They wouldn't come out and tell me, so I figured I would try again at a later date. They even asked me this time if I wanted to ask any questions or had anything to say and I said nope its all good here. It was a different bunch at their HR office as well.
I hopefully get paid this week, you hear fifteen different answers on a payday at that place. Its the only thing I hate about the job, too many manager's running around with nothing to do but make up stories and pass drama around.
Its the best paying job other than driving 60 miles from home. This job is 8 miles from home and a sit down job in a nice air conditioned room that actually gets too cold for me at times.
I know how it feels to be looked at like a leper when you go to apply for something and then tell them what your past is....thing is, its my past. Its not my future, I WAS an addict, I AM sober NOW. I am going on five years, and have had only 1 slip due to not having the money to go to the doctor last month. My anxiety was getting the best of me and I had to find something to keep the monkey off my back.
I hope all is well now with you guys, sorry I rambled. Yall that know me, remember how I can get at times.
asouth32 is offline   Reply With Quote