Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 07-13-2010, 07:30 AM   #1
TIM

Thumbs up Good news about Suboxone patient assistance program

As many of you know, each certified physician can have up to 3 people on Reckitt Benckiser's Suboxone Patient Assistance Program. This program shipped medication to the doctor for free to be given to the qualifying patient. The problem was the laws on storing medication are more cumbersome so many doctors simply refused to do it, especially in light of the DEA's new effort to inspect all buprenorphine prescribing doctors. That's changed. Reckitt has now eliminated sending the medication to doctors. Now patients in the patient assistance program will receive a prepaid pharmacy card and pick up the medication directly from the pharmacy. This should make it much more convenient and more importantly prompt more doctors to get involved with this program.

Tim

Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. Voluntary Disclosure: Timothy L. is the President of The National Alliance of Advocates for Buprenorphine treatment. (NAABT.org) The views and opinions of Timothy L., or any poster, are not necessarily the views of AddictionSurvivors.org. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider Any information you read here should only serve to inspire you to investigate further with credible, verifiable referenced sources or your doctor.
TIM is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Say Thank You to TIM For This Useful Post:
Thank You (10-15-2011), Thank You (07-24-2010), Thank You (07-25-2010), Thank You (07-13-2010)
Unread 07-14-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
lindamine

Hi everyone.
I can vouch for this. Just went to my Doc yesterday for monthly visit. He never heard of this new way of doing it. (My 90 pill dose for the month of June was still there--hadn't needed them as I am on just 8mg a day, but RX says 24. He has kindly done it this way so as to give me free extra supply when the 1 year term is up)

Anyhow, he held on to Junes pills for me--til needed and wrote out script for me to get new batch.
Beckett Pharm had sent me in the mail, a card, that is to be presented each time I go to fill script, They also advised me not to loose this card as there will be no replacements made under any circumstance--maybe I should get a lock box at the bank? lol

Any way I went to pharm and everything worked out beautifully. My doctor was thrilled--no more logs and special filing with state anymore for him.

And It really worked. Was expecting the worst--as it has been most difficult when I did have my own insurance to get it done right.
lindamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
toms

Sounds like yet another idiotic example of regulatory BS standing in the way of treatment access.
Unread 07-15-2010, 01:42 AM   #4
Sub-Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms View Post
Sounds like yet another idiotic example of regulatory BS standing in the way of treatment access.
What are you talking about? It's giving people free medication who otherwise couldn't afford it. How is that standing in the way of access to treatment?
Sub
Sub-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to Sub-Zero For This Useful Post:
Thank You (07-16-2010), Thank You (07-15-2010)
Unread 07-15-2010, 05:29 AM   #5
Julnjer

I agree Sub-Zero. I am fortunate that my insurnace pays practically my entire bill for my sub treatment, and I couldn't imagine if it didn't..thank goodness for the assisstance program and helping those who can't afford it. So many people out there are without insurance looking for help....I empathize with that. Sub treatment is very expensive. I only pay 15 dollars for an office visit, and 44.00 for a full month of subs. When I hear what it cost without insurance I am just mortified. I pray for all those who need help to get it...blessings to you. JNJ
Julnjer is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Julnjer For This Useful Post:
Thank You (07-15-2010)
Unread 07-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
toms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Zero View Post
What are you talking about? It's giving people free medication who otherwise couldn't afford it. How is that standing in the way of access to treatment?
Sub
I was referring to the imposition of storage requirements that ended up deterring doctors from participating in the easymeds program. I'm all for the program, though I wished it was more widely available. Looking at applications on a case-by-case basis as opposed to an arbitrary limit would make much more sense. Also, a doctor's location ought to be considered as some areas likely have much more need than others.
Unread 07-15-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
Sub-Zero

I see, thanks for the clarification. I agree, I also think patients should be able to apply directly to RB and not have to convince the doctor to do it. I don't see why the doctor needs to involved in this now.
Sub
Sub-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 11:13 AM   #8
toms

They're probably dealing with a bazillion applications and trying to keep them to some manageable number. Doctor input is likely a good thing in most cases. I did learn that, while the assistance can run to a year, each patient has to be re-evaluated every three months. Its got to be a tough call between keeping one person going, or helping others who lack resources.
Unread 07-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #9
NancyB
Administrator

They recently updated the page on the NeedyMeds site too:

http://www.needymeds.org/drug_list.t...&name=Suboxone

They stipulate that it is for one year, and that a person is eligible if they do not have private or public prescription insurance. So that means if someone has insurance but not prescription insurance and meets the financial eligibility of an income at or below 250% of the Federal Poverty Level, they can apply for the free meds if the doctor doesn't have the limit of 3.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #10
DARKEYES

Arrow

Nancy,
Does that mean the limit of three of the doctors patients on the program? I don't think many that go to my doctor know about the free meds program. And there are a few I know really need some help.
Unread 07-25-2010, 01:28 PM   #11
toms

The rules are kind of convoluted. I know 3/doc on needymeds is the maximum, but isn't the something else? Maybe it is if the doc has 30 (or less) patients in treatment they may have two on needymeds, but it they have more than 30, they can have three on needymeds? There are some limits on the meds.....up to 24mg/day. I did learn, too, that while a patient *can* be covered up to a year, they have to re-apply every three months.

I wonder doctors handle who gets to use this program? It seems like it would be tough to establish rules. On one hand, first-come, first-served may be fair....OR, would you limit any patient to three free months in order to give someone else a chance? It seems that it would be tough to decide.
Unread 07-25-2010, 02:29 PM   #12
NancyB
Administrator

Hi darkeyes and Tom, These are changes that were implemented a couple of weeks ago and Dendrite - the company who handled the program before - is no longer doing it. The program is for a year. The other change is that it used to be doctors with under 60 patients could only have 2 on the program; over 60, 3 on the program. Now it's 3 no matter how many patients. And there is now a card that the patient brings to the pharmacy, not the meds delivered to the doctors office monthly.

I'm not sure about the limit to 24mg a day or the reapplication every three months. I had never heard, even in the past, about either in all the times I had called them. I'll call again Monday to find out for sure.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (07-26-2010)
Unread 07-25-2010, 07:19 PM   #13
toms

I think my care coach told me about those rules.
Unread 07-26-2010, 04:50 PM   #14
NancyB
Administrator

Hi, talked to a person at the free med program. People do not have to reapply every 3 months. Just once and it's good for the year.

There is a limit for 24mg a day per patient.

Thanks Tom, that's the first that 24mg/day restriction has come up, I was unaware of that restriction.

Nancy
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (07-26-2010)
Unread 07-26-2010, 07:35 PM   #15
toms

Thanks for clearing that up. Too bad about the full-year thing (unless one is the grantee). With the limited number of available slots. at least giving some thought to who is receiving what seems a good policy
Unread 10-01-2011, 07:10 AM   #16
brneyes33

I have been trying to get my meds through this my dr has 2 patients on it and can have one more. My Doc has already filled my form out, but i am having a problem with where u have to verify ur income. I was just a house wife never had to work and then my husband and i seperated, I was told to send in w2 but with no job i have none and then i was told that i could send in the paper u get from the social security office telling u about your work for that year and how many points u need to have before u can retiere at full age forgot what it was called but when i called SS office i was told they no longer give these things out now i am told that i can go to my local social security office and get a form called a budget letter stating i didn't have income for 2010, by any chance would anyone know what other proof u can use, I desperately need the help on my meds
brneyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 07:26 AM   #17
NancyB
Administrator

Hi brneyes33, welcome. Sorry to hear about the SS office not printing out the form.

I did find this online way of doing an estimate:
https://secure.ssa.gov/acu/ACU_KBA/m...ocale=en&LVL=4

Maybe do that and then give the Here to Help Program a call and see if that is sufficient. Did you file a joint return with your husband last year? Maybe ask if you had a copy of that showing you made $0 income, that would work also.

The phone number for the program is on this link:

Let us know what happens.

Nancy
Unread 10-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #18
OpioidsGotMe

Hi,
I called and they sent out the form. My appointment wasn't for about 1 1/2 after I received the paperwork. I got a call from here to help and they were just checking because they didn't receive anything yet. This call was on 10/6 and I told them my appointment was the next day. I went to my doctor and I had talked to him when they changed it from sending the meds to the dr office to sending the card to the patient. I had insurance at the time but It was ending at the end of Aug. So when I brought the paperwork into his office and told him what is was I handed him the paperwork and without reading every word on the paperwork he looked it over and then he signed it and filled in my diagnosis (narcotic/detox) they won't cover if your getting suboxone for pain management. I don't know if it's been written on this site but this program uses the suboxone strips only now. I will keep you updated when I hear anything more from the here to help program. I don't work and have not filled out a tax return in years. I called them and they said just check the box that ask if you have filled out a tax return. I really don't have an income, I may donate blood plasma or do a side job for a little cash. They said just check no on the tax return and estimate what I make in a year. I told her what I make and she said it won't make a difference. They said that was all I had to send them after the doctor fills his part out. My doctor said that his office would fax it in for me so I will wait a little bit and if I don't hear anything (hopefully I do) from them I will call and see how long the process should take. If anybody else has any input to let me know how long it may take I would appreciate it. Thanks.
OpioidsGotMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #19
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Darrin, keeping my fingers crossed that this works out for you. It used to be that a decision for approval was made in 24 to 48 hours. I'm not sure if today is a holiday for them or not.

If it were me, I'd give them a call anyways to make sure they received the application from your doctor. You'll also see if they're working today, which if they're not, then that's another day added onto the process.

Let us know when you find out.

Nancy
Unread 10-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #20
OpioidsGotMe

Thanks Nancy,
I called the here to help and she said they received my application and it was up for review. Do you know if there is anything besides your income status and that you are being treated for opioid detox, not pain management, that determines if you qualify? Oh and I am my dr.'s only patient on this program so that part is covered.

Regards,
Darrin
Unread 10-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #21
OpioidsGotMe

One more thing. Do they send the card to the patient (me) or my doctor's office)?

Darrin
Unread 10-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #22
OpioidsGotMe

Hi Brneyes33, I haven't filed income tax for a couple years. They told me all I had to do was check the no box were it ask if you have filled. And if you do make money any other way put that on the line were it ask about other income. Sorry I don't have a copy of the application in front of me but they said that's all I had to do. I had called two different times and made sure I got a different person each time and they both said the same thing. Granted I haven't heard from them if I was going to be getting it but nothing more I can do so I will wait and see. I see your post was a from a few weeks ago so can you give us an update if you have been accepted ?

Regards,
Darrin
Unread 10-13-2011, 03:32 PM   #23
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Darrin, as far as I know, they just check your income to make sure it falls within the guidelines and verify that your doctor doesn't have three patients already on the program. They'll send the card directly to you and you bring that to pharmacy when you get your script filled.

On the link it says:

Decision Communicated Doctor notified

So give your doctor's office a call to see if they've heard anything. Maybe they have, but didn't know they were supposed to call you. If neither you nor the office have heard anything, if it were me, I'd call the program number tomorrow for a status update.

Let us know what you find out.

Nancy
Unread 10-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #24
OpioidsGotMe

Hi,
Just an update. I received my suboxone card from here to help. I received it today.

Regard,
Darrin
Unread 10-15-2011, 07:11 PM   #25
NancyB
Administrator

What great news Darrin! Very happy for you!

Thanks for letting us know.

Nancy
Unread 10-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #26
OpioidsGotMe

Thanks Nancy,
At least I don't have to worry about paying for my suboxone for one more year. I'm working on getting SSI. I had a problem with starting to get addicted to Xanax. I went first to my suboxone dr and he to me he could admit me and ween me off Xanax over a weeks time and with Ativan. He said if I started not to be able to tolerate the detox he could put me under for a bit, not the rapid detox, but I was pretty uncomfortable but was tolrating only getting Ativan. Up to this point I always believed my dr. had my best interest at heart. I have been seeing him since Oct, 2006. Well at the visit were he told me how it would go he told me to call he the next day(Tuesday) between 9am-10am and he would call me right back. He said make sure to call as close to 9am as possible because he had depositions at 10am. Well I did what he said I called at 9am I waited and waited and by 9:50 he hadn't called yet so I called again. Well by 10:30am I called and his partner was on call and I told him what my Dr. had said to do. He said ok he will call the hospital and get a bed for me. I got a call about 1/2 hour later from the hospital with their question and said come on in. Well by the time I got there and got a bed the nurses asked me was exactly I was in for. I said to ween off Xanax. They said the Dr. who called in didn't give a diagnosis but said "patient throwing up, muscle spasms ect. Well they were a bit confused but within an hour they got a hold of my Dr. and he had all my regular meds and meds to help me through the withdrawals. Witch was fine I didn't really get started with anything until about 7pm. My Dr. came in the next day. He ask how I was doing, I said I was a bit discomfortable but I could tolerate the way things were going. He said my discomfort level may increase for the first few days. I said do I still have the option to be put under for awhile if need be. He said yes and don't be afraid to ask if it gets to bad, it's in the orders so there would be no need for them to call him first the nurses could just do it if I asked. I asked him how long he thinks I will be there. My Dr. said somewhere around a week. I thought that sounded ok. I asked when I would see him next he said tomorrow early, well around 8am. Well next day came and in walk his partner and said ok we are going to release you today. I said no that not what my Dr. said. He told me I must of misunderstood him. Even worse all they gave me was a script for phenobarbital. I try calling the nurses, my dr. office but my doctor was not reachable(?) I went home and tried the phenobarbital but by the next evening I was shacking and throwing up. I called my Dr.'s answering service. He told me to hold on and he would call him will I waited. He came back on the line and said go to the E.R. The E.R. gave me Ativan and a script for 9 Ativan and said to make an appointment for my Dr. Monday morning. I called Monday morning and asked if I could pay later, they said no I had to pay before I saw the Dr. I was always before able to pay later but this time not. I called the nurse and left a message and she called back and said the Dr. would not do anything until I saw him. So that was a dead end. I called my public aide Dr. he said to go to the E.R.(a different on) and say you need inpatient detox. I was inpatient for 10 days, still weening off the Xanax but plus I have a counselor and they hooked me up with a lawyer to help me get SSI. I will tell you more of the story later I have to go help my son. Things are looking good. I hope they keep going this way.

Regards,
Darrin
Unread 10-16-2011, 07:32 AM   #27
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Darrin, wow, I have never heard anyone being put under for benzo detox before. It seems like that would be so dangerous. I'm glad you're being taken care of properly now and are taking it slow with the xanax taper.

I hope that you can get SSI without much problem. Happy to hear things are looking good!

Nancy
Unread 10-20-2011, 07:04 AM   #28
brneyes33

Sorry it has took me so long to get back on here, I have had alot going on. Thank you so much for the post, to answer the question if i filled jointly with my husband all prevouise years yes but not the year of 2010. My husband had back surgery and was out of work all year and we didn't get to file one. I will be calling and finding out about the thing if u do not have an income then there was a box to mark. When i did call wanting to make sure that i got everything filled out on the application i was told that i had to get that budget letter, I ended up going to my local social security office to get the budget letter i was told i could get, then after setting there for almost 2 hours the lady there told me that where i didn't recieve benefits from the SS office then there was nothing she could give me for my proff of income that i did not work in 2010. Thank you again every one for the help
brneyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 12:11 PM   #29
amber.4.14.11

Hi everybody, I just got approved for this program, I had a bit of trouble thought. anyone applying should know tht you MUST have the doc put diagnosis code "304.00" meaning opiod dependence. It cannot vary ONE digit. the first time my doc had 304.9 and the ppl told me you cannot have the code changed. I did with the outstanding help of my doc threatening a complaint.
Anyway just wanted to let folks know, so that they wouldn't hopefully have to go through what I did.
Good luck, and be persistant if you DO have problems. It seems as if a few of the people answering the phone are pretty nice, but one of them told me "you get one chance at applying, if its not the code we approve, then that's it."
which turned out to be bullshit.
I'm thankful my doc was on my side and wanted me to get the help as much as I did!!
amber.4.14.11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #30
amber.4.14.11

ONE MORE THING,
I USED MY FOOD STAMP AWARD LETTER, AND A STATEMENT THAT THIS COMMUNITY ACTION PLACE PAID OUR POWER BILL EARLIER IN THE YEAR along with a month's worth of paystubs.
they seem to be much more concerned with the diagnosis code than the income. the lady told me I provided more than enough proof of income. and I sent a copy of me and my husbands drivers licesense, sons birth certificate for proof of how many in the household. there were alot of concerns on here about how to prove income.
amber.4.14.11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2015, 05:05 PM   #31
wntpce

Posts and responses moved to new thread:

http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=30076
wntpce is offline   Reply With Quote