Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 09-17-2016, 07:27 PM   #1
TDEP2016

Thumbs up New Member Introduction

Hello Everyone,

New to the group.

A little about myself...

I've been taking prescription painkillers since 2007. I've never had a problem with any other drug or with anything stronger than pills, but my dosage on the pills has increased steadily since I began usage after a surgery. I had convinced myself that I had control over my usage (which I didn't) and that I needed them to do my job well (which I don't). I am somewhat of a workaholic. I am employed by a Fortune 500 company in a regional management role so my job occupies much of my time. I believed that the pills were the reason I was able to handle the stresses of my job so well. Because of this, I continued to take them more often and was convinced that the reason I was being promoted was because of them. Well, I just found out last week I will be getting my dream job and I realized that I am not about to be tied down to these painkillers any longer. I worked too hard for what I have that I am not about to lose it because of an addiction. I reached out to an addiction treatment physician and also made an appointment with a certified advanced drug counselor, as everything I have read indicates that the best chance of success is a combination of the two.

I just the started Suboxone yesterday. It's been a weird two days. Although I don't feel withdrawal symptoms or cravings, I still feel like something if off. I was used to taking Percocets at certain times of the day and it's like my brain is telling me, "Okay, time to take some pills now," but, because of the lack of cravings or withdrawal, my body doesn't know why it's being told that. This has been the hardest thing to try to adjust to the past two days. I know this is nothing compared to the terrible withdrawal symptoms that some have experienced but it is the first time since 2007 that I haven't taken painkillers so I figured my brain would need to rework some things off the bat.

Anyway, I feel great about what I am embarking on. I know it's time for this to be over and I am ready. I had my first test today when one of my normal contacts texted me to tell me that the monthly shipment was in and I could purchase what I wanted. I told him that I won't be buying anymore. It felt a little bit freeing just to say that. I know that I will need all the help I can get in the coming months so I am hoping to find solace and encouragement on these forums. I can only hope that I am able to return the same to someone else in need.

Looking forward to talking with all of you going forward!

-TDEP2016
TDEP2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2016, 07:40 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi TDEP2016, welcome. Congratulations on your promotion and for getting help! I really like that you're incorporating the psycho-social aspect also, as that is so important.

We've had people here experience the same thing when first starting - having those feelings of needing something throughout the day when they would have taken their former drug of choice. Some people switched up their schedules a little to make it not the same. Some people at the very beginning had a mint or something like that when those feelings came about, some used cognitive behavioral therapy and distracted their thinking with positive thoughts about why they entered treatment, and some made a gratitude list they carried with them and pulled out and read at times like that.

If I may ask, what dose did the doctor start you at? And what were you taking before you started? It might be helpful to keep a journal the first couple of weeks of when/how much bupe you take and how you're feeling. It could be helpful in seeing if a dose adjustment is needed after you stabilize (which can take about a week).

Congratulations again!!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2016, 09:41 PM   #3
TDEP2016

Hi NancyB,
Thank you for the welcome and words of encouragement. I love the mint idea and I think I will try that.

My doctor has me taking the Bunavail 4.2 buccal strips. He said that although the normal starting dose is two strips a day, he advised me to try a half strip at a time so as to not overmedicate and take the halves until I figure out what my daily dose should be at. He has me doing this for 5 days, then returning for an appointment so we can set a more accurate daily dose. The last two days, I have taken 1 and a half strips and that has worked fine. I was taking Percocet 10mgs for the most part previously, taking anywhere between 6-8 a day. My doctor did tell me that this is on the lower side compared to some other users but I wanted to get treatment the right way before it got any worse.

I downloaded an app that was recommended on the Bunavail website that allows me to record medication usage along with my moods and any triggers that I may have experienced that day. I've been using that for the past two days and will continue to do so to monitor my progress.

I will continue to update on my progress as my first counseling session is this Wednesday. As I am also a combat veteran who came home with some mental issues, I am excited to start the counseling as I believe I was using the painkillers as a crutch to disguise other issues that I did not want to deal with.

It feels great to just be talking openly about all of this as I have hid it from family and friends for some time.

I will post again soon and will try to be as active as possible on other's posts in the forum.

Thanks for what you do, NancyB, and thank you for welcoming me into your group!
TDEP2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2016, 06:58 AM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi TDEP2016, first of all I really like your doctor already since he listened to you and wanted to start you lower because of your percocet intake. Such a nice change because we've recently had people with doctors starting patients off not doing that. Glad you're also doing the medication app! Since bupe has a long halflife (around 37 hours), it will build up in your system and level off during the first week.

Good luck with your counseling appointment. Just remember that the therapist works FOR you and if you're not comfortable with his/her methodology, find a new one.

Thank you for serving our country. I deeply appreciate what you've done to keep us free.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote