Addiction Survivors

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you pay for your prescription (not doctor visits, that is another poll)
You Pay all (Cash, credit card) 50 40.65%
Private Insurance Co-pay -mostly you 6 4.88%
Private Insurance Co-pay -mostly insurance 34 27.64%
All insurance (or if copay <= $10) 13 10.57%
Medicaid (or other government payer) 17 13.82%
Manufacturer pays (needymeds) 0 0%
Clinical study – no charge 0 0%
Other 3 2.44%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 11-23-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
ADMIN
Administrator

Question How do you pay for your prescription

How do you pay for your prescription (not doctor visits, that will be another poll)
ADMIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 11:45 PM   #2
theswan

Smile Workers Comp

My pain is from a work related injury

Workers ciomp pays although reluctantly. I got it on the 10th of one month and did not get approval until the 11th of the next. I am glad it has a long half life, The nurse must pre approve if script is over 300 bucks. She is a real nit picker. She actually told me I must talk to my doctor if a month has 31 days as she will only allow a 30 day supply. She even said the doctor should be cutting me down. I told him and he was smiling about it. She seems to have a dislike for opiates or maybe high cost opiates. Geeze she is just a nurse manager for an insurance company. Anyway, I'm lucky as I could no way afford suboxone on 1600.00 a month SSD and workers comp total

Glen
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2008, 11:05 AM   #3
hannahbanana

Well...after seeing the results of this poll, I suppose I shouldn't complain too much. My private insurance pays for my treatment and my secondary insurance picks up the co-pays for my prescription.

I know that if I had to pay out of pocket, the visits here run from $250-350 for the initial and $50-175 each week. This does not include some of the other "fees" that some of these money grubbing "medical professionals" are charging (physical exams, urine tests, administrative fees, etc).

I'm planing a huge rant in another thread that will be dedicated to the subject and my recent work in trying to call out some of these selfish practitioners in my state.
hannahbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
MamaBet

My son pays 100% of his meds, $532 a month. Well, he pays when he has the money, when he doesn't his Dad and I pay for it....His insurance takes care of all but $15 of his Dr. visit. We're thankful for at least that much. His BC/BS turned the meds down because they say they are "maintenance" drugs and they don't pay for those. I have looked at his plan over and over and I don't see "maintenance drugs" mentioned any where.
MamaBet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #5
deep carrot

I had slipped discs and got micro surgery. I took oxys for about two years. 7.5 mg in the morning 7.5 mg at lunch and 7.5 mg at dinnertime...never more but never less. i couldn't even get out of bed w/o taking my 7.5 (15 mg pill split in half) I was out of the country and my oxys got wet and i was days away from getting anymore. A girl i knew had a couple of 10 mg percocets and i used .5 mg each morning then realized how dependant i was on this stuff. Suboxone works. Period. I was getting ripped off by a DR at first then found one who was $180 for the visit and then $150.00 for 30 pills a month
deep carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
deep carrot

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstwisted1 View Post
Well...after seeing the results of this poll, I suppose I shouldn't complain too much. My private insurance pays for my treatment and my secondary insurance picks up the co-pays for my prescription.

I know that if I had to pay out of pocket, the visits here run from $250-350 for the initial and $50-175 each week. This does not include some of the other "fees" that some of these money grubbing "medical professionals" are charging (physical exams, urine tests, administrative fees, etc).

I'm planing a huge rant in another thread that will be dedicated to the subject and my recent work in trying to call out some of these selfish practitioners in my state.

The first Dr i went to was a rip off. It was $600 dollars and $10 per pill. 8 mg. It was all about money. Then i found a Dr who charged $180 for the initial and then $150 for 30 pills. People should know there are cheaper ways Drs. that capatalize on peoples sickness should rot !!!!
deep carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2009, 01:59 AM   #7
Madison7

For those without insurance and a modest salary..........

http://www.needymeds.org/drug_list.t...&name=Suboxone
Madison7 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to Madison7 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (02-07-2011)
Unread 06-04-2009, 02:33 AM   #8
csdmommy

MamaBet:

I know it has been several months, but if your son is still having to pay for his medication(s). I also have BCBS, but they pay for my Suboxone, except for a $25.00 name-brand co-pay. I have worked in the medical insurance field for over 12 years (since I started college-it was my tuition $ maker!) and I still have contacts in the different plans and states who may be able to help review his plan and kick some *ss to get them to pay for his med(s). Depending on a ruling, he could potentially file a grievance and maybe even get reimbursement for the months he/you had to pay, if he/you kept the receipts or his pharmacy can provide a statement showing that he had to pay out-of-pocket. I am more than happy to help anyone else, also, with any other insurance plans. I have pretty much worked hand-in-hand with them all and have kept up my network contacts. Good luck!
csdmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 09:36 PM   #9
neisy58

i have to pay 100% cash for my suboxone.
my appts 3 x a week are 12 .00 a visit.
it's 58.30 a week and thats how i get it for now.
so for my recovery it's 94.30 a week.
my dr writes the script for a month,but it's only a week at a time with 3 refills.
my hubby and i are living on his unemployment and my ssdi,i know it sounds like alot ,but i was spending 200.00 for my doc off the street.
this has been a blessing for us.we also have a beautiful 14 yrs old daughter living at home.
denise
Unread 08-11-2009, 01:27 AM   #10
griffithfan81

My Dr. here in Alabama charged me $175 for the initial visit and $125 then after. He writes me 60 subs per month and they cost $6.50 each so I usually get 30 filled at a time and that is $195. My pharmacy here will let me get as little as I need though, even if I only had the money for one and I can go back everyday as long as I have some left on my script that hasnt been filled yet untill I run out. I usually have a few left over when the Dr. writes me another script.
griffithfan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 01:59 PM   #11
sydjademom2413

I pay $125 for the office visit...and he usually gives me a 2 month supply. And then I pay 23.69 for 3- 8mg. tablets...so thats about $8 per pill. The first year of treatment I had medicaid because I was pregnant....the reason I stopped in the 1st place. But pregnancy medicaid gets cut off 3 months after the child is born....my daughter turned 1 last week....so for 9 months I have been paying out of pocket. I could get back on Medicaid, but to do that they told me I had to file child support against my husband...and we are still together, so I cant do that. (Medicaid thinks we are seperated) my daughters have childrens medicaid...and I had foodstamps until 2 months ago...I didn't feel like lying to them anymore. I was selling my foodstamps to have money for the meds...the last 2 months I've had to figure something else out. I just can't do it anymore financially...there is no one left to help me. So I am forceably tapering starting tomorrow...or i'm gonna run out before my next appt. I am SO ready to have suboxone out of my life for good!
sydjademom2413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 01:28 PM   #12
tracyangel

I just started suboxone treatment 3 weeks ago. I currently have no insurance. My doctor charges $75 a week plus $25 once a month for urine tests. The pills are costing $140 a week for 18 pills. I don't even have a job right now, so I am dependent on my husband to pay for it plus support our 4 children at home. I have applied for medicaid so I can at least get help with the scripts, my doctor will not accept it for his payment. My addiction stemmed from a work related injury that required pain meds to control some of the unbearable pain. Now I am stuck trying to beat this addiction on my own.
tracyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #13
LKB1956

Welcome traceyangel I am so glad you made the right decision to get treatment. It has been 5 mo for me so far. I am the mother of 3 Adult children and 5 Grandsons......wow!!!! They keep me busy....but I LOVE IT. You have 4 kids?? That is Awesome. What was your DOC and how much were you taking? I am taking Suboxone for pain management cuz all the Oxys were doing was managing Me...not my pain....Well, gotta go......Welcome!!!!! Linda
Unread 03-29-2010, 07:48 PM   #14
MicheleJ

S-Mom2413-

I don't know if you are still around, but, I do the HR where I work, and I received a support order for one of our employees, to enter the deduction amount from his paycheck. The support order was filed by his girlfriend, who he lives with. They just had a baby a few months ago.

I asked him what happened, because after receiving the support order, I thought they had broken up. He told me no, that he had her file a support order against him so that the money would stay within their household, and not go to his ex-wife for child support. Rather, not so much would go to the ex wife. They were taking most of his paycheck before that, so, he needed some to take care of the new baby too!

Filing for child support from your husband may really help you with your current situation. However, before you would do anything like that, make sure it is legal, because you don't want to get into trouble for fraud or anything like that. Why does Medicaid think you are separated?
Unread 03-29-2010, 07:54 PM   #15
MicheleJ

Tracyangel,

Maybe you can let the insurance company know that you now have an addiction problem that stems from the medication, that stems from the work related injury. It's a long shot, but, you never know. Maybe your medication could be covered. It is all from the original injury, it is not result of anything else. If your original injury had not healed, they would still have to cover that. So, I don't see why they wouldn't cover your adddiction from it. IMO, it's at least worth looking into.
If nothing else, maybe they would pay you a settlement or something to make you "go away", which would also at least help you pay for you medication.
Unread 04-07-2010, 09:35 PM   #16
ohionet1

Amen!! I first found out about buphrenorphine as an inpatient in 2006 - the facility had 2 docs prescribing; one of them simply wrote for it if he hadn't reached his 30 patient limit, the other required $1500 up front!! Imagine the $#it storm that caused, not only for us, but staff as well; having to explain why the guy next to you can have it, and seeing how well it worked, and then, in my opinion being extorted...
Its disgusting...
Unread 04-16-2010, 09:33 AM   #17
bhsurf4

I pay $35 for the Dr. visit once a month and $40 for the meds, 30 day supply. On my print out from the pharmacy it says that insurance has saved me $435 a month on the meds alone! I am very lucky.
bhsurf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 11:36 AM   #18
wanttogetsober

I am very lucky due to my situation and my daughters having ASD, we qualify for state medical (I know there are those who get very angry at this, and I am sorry I feel very guilty all ready, I hate being poor) however it is what it is. My state has strict polices regarding Sub, you MUST be in out patient treatment, UA every two weeks before you can get script, have to sign a contract that you will only use one pharmacy and that you can only see your PCP Sub dr and must also sign a release of info for all the hospitals in the area and they check to make sure you are not trying to score. It is alot but it keeps us honest and also you really have to want Sub to go though it all. i hope one day to not need state assistance
wanttogetsober is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2010, 01:35 AM   #19
littleB

You should look around for another dr though alot of them dont accept the state insurance some of them do you just have to find one. Ive also heard that some methadone clinics prescribe suboxone that might be a place to look, I commend you for getting the treatment even though you have to pay for it, that was my excuse until I found a dr that would take it.
littleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2010, 01:36 AM   #20
littleB

To wanttoget sober: dont be ashamed of the state insurance the ppl that hate you for it are jealous! Im poor too and Im grateful the state is helping me and I know when Im done with school I will be able to give back to my community something I wouldnt be able to do if I stayed on the drugs I was on.

Last edited by littleB; 04-30-2010 at 01:38 AM.. Reason: typo
littleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 12:32 PM   #21
rsagall

Default A way to lower costs

I am pleased to see a mention of NeedyMeds. We have information on over 2,400 programs that help people unable to pay for their medicaitons and healthcare costs.

With so many of the survey respondents indicating they pay for some or all of their medications themselves, I want to let you know of a way to save an average of 46%. NeedyMeds, the non-profit I run, is offering a free drug discount card. There is never a cost to get or use the card and there is no registration fee. There is no tracking by individual.

The card is accepted at over 60,000 pharmacies and is good for prescription drugs, OTCs and medical supplies if written like a prescription), and pet prescription drugs you buy at a pharmacy. There are no eligibility requirements and anyone can use the card regardless of age, income, insurance status, or residency.

You just give the ard to the pharmacist when getting your prescription filled and he/she will tell you the savings. In April we save people nearly $300,000.

You can get a card from our website or by sending us a SASE. Please give it a try as there in no reason for anyone to pay "list" price for their medications.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Rich Sagall, MD
President
NeedyMeds, Inc.
P.O. Box 219
Gloucester, MA 01931
www.needymeds.org
rsagall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #22
Julnjer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMIN View Post
How do you pay for your prescription (not doctor visits, that will be another poll)
My insurance covers the doctor visit with a 15.00 copay and and the copay for 60 pills is 44.00. I am very fortunate.....and blessed.
Julnjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 09:10 PM   #23
Dove777

Default My Doctor's Visit Today

I went for my second Doctor's visit and he was asking for $350.00 for my visit. I could not believe he was charging so much I miss understood him on my first visit I thought he said $50.00 for the next visit. I gave him $600.00 last week for a 1 hour visit with him. I payed $145.00 for 20 pills. I'm just disgusted that I'm trying to save my life and the Doctor seem to just care about the mighty buck. He did see me today and I only paid him $50.00 but he made sure that I bring him$650.00 for my next visit and to get a refill.
Dove777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 10:01 PM   #24
jpotts

Wow that is a lot, I have heard of other people saying they pay alot, but to me that seems way over the top! I paid 250.00 for my first and second appointment combined and pay 75.00 dollars each visit. I would definatly look around, I know Nancy knows about alot of programs that help with costs and different dr.s i'm sure she will be able to point you in the right direction. I found my Dr through Heretohelp.com they were really helpful. Good luck!
jpotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2010, 06:21 AM   #25
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Dove777, I'm sorry to hear that your doctor is charging such a huge amount of money for each visit. Think about seeing if you can find another doctor, here's a thread that has different ways:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=21259

Do you have insurance and he's not accepting it? If so, get receipts from your visits and submit them to your insurance company for reimbursement directly to you. The forms may be on the insurer's website or give them a call to get them.

If you don't have insurance, see if you qualify for the free med program, and then ask your doctor if there's an open slot:
http://www.needymeds.org/drug_list.t...&name=Suboxone

And there's prescription discount cards in this thread that have saved people money:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=12915

How often is he making you go? Once-a-month visits are the norm, but a Suboxone prescription can be written with up to 5 refills. Please ask him what can be done about the frequency/cost of visits. This is from the TIP40:

And from the TIP-40, pdf page 90:
http://www.naabt.org/links/TIP_40_PDF.pdf

Frequency of Visits
During the stabilization phase, patients receiving maintenance treatment should be seen on at least a weekly basis. Part of the purpose of the ongoing assessment is to determine whether patients are adhering to the dosing regimen and handling their medications responsibly (e.g., storing it safely, taking it as prescribed, not losing it). Once a stable buprenorphine dose is reached and toxicological samples are free of illicit opioids, the physician may determine that less frequent visits (biweekly or longer, up to 30 days) are acceptable. Visits on a monthly basis are considered a reasonable frequency for patients on stable buprenorphine doses who are making appropriate progress toward treatment objectives and in whom toxicology shows no evidence of illicit drugs. However, physicians should be sensitive to treatment barriers, such as geographical issues, travel distance to treatment, domestic issues such as child care and work obligations, as well as the cost of care.

You can also ask the doctor if you can be prescribed generic Subutex because the generic is running around $2.50 - $3.00 per 8mg pill.

I hope this is helpful.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 08:58 AM   #26
Charlie53

Default Hi I am new

Thread moved here for better visibility:

http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=26379

Last edited by Charlie53; 05-30-2011 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: Wrong Place sorry
Charlie53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #27
Selena15

Charlie,
I just posted to you but I think it's on the wrong thread. Maybe the Mod can move it over here.

Selena15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #28
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Selena15, you posted it in the right place - when Charlie clicks on the link, he'll be redirected to the new thread where is post is now.

Thanks!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 06-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #29
Bruceimanaddict

My insurance covers 75%. I also have a Suboxen discount card from the manufacturer right now for $45 off. So, 45 x 8mg film strips cost me about $35 out of pocket last time I picked up my prescription.

I'm in South Carolina and the full price here for a box of 30, 8mg film strips is $200. Most of the patients I know were prescribed 16mg a day to start. So some people are paying $400 out of pocket for their monthly prescription. However, I know one guy that only pays a $5 co-pay for his 60 8mg strips every month. He has some type of government insurance.

Thanks,
Bruce
Unread 01-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #30
manohealing

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceimanaddict View Post
My insurance covers 75%. I also have a Suboxen discount card from the manufacturer right now for $45 off. So, 45 x 8mg film strips cost me about $35 out of pocket last time I picked up my prescription.

I'm in South Carolina and the full price here for a box of 30, 8mg film strips is $200. Most of the patients I know were prescribed 16mg a day to start. So some people are paying $400 out of pocket for their monthly prescription. However, I know one guy that only pays a $5 co-pay for his 60 8mg strips every month. He has some type of government insurance.

Thanks,
Bruce
What I would do to even get to pay half the cost. Every time I hear someone say how much they pay, the more anger I have towards the this recovery drug. This is downright harmful.
manohealing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #31
Clarkgrizwald

Hey Bruce....can you use the Discount Card with Insurance? I want to make sure I understand you correctly.
Thanks!
Clarkgrizwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #32
NancyB
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkgrizwald View Post
Hey Bruce....can you use the Discount Card with Insurance? I want to make sure I understand you correctly.
Thanks!
Hi Clarkgrizwald, yes, you can use the Suboxone discount with insurance. Here's a link to it.

http://suboxone.com/patients/about_s....aspx?cid=subx

Nancy
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-30-2013)
Unread 01-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #33
Clarkgrizwald

Cool Thanks!

If it wasn't for the help I received from the cool folks on this forum, I would not have known to use the Suboxone Discount Card along with my insurance card. I walked out of the pharmacy without paying a penny.
Very cool!
Thanks!
One User Says Thank You to Clarkgrizwald For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-30-2013)
Unread 01-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #34
Clarkgrizwald

Quote:
If it wasn't for the help I received from the cool folks on this forum, I would not have known to use the Suboxone Discount Card along with my insurance card. I walked out of the pharmacy without paying a penny.
Very cool!
Thanks!
FYI...this is for 45 8mg films & a $35 copay.
One User Says Thank You to Clarkgrizwald For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-30-2013)
Unread 01-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #35
manohealing

Talking

Quote:
Very cool!
Thanks!
I think she said she does not have insurance. I would probably give one of my toes up to have that deal. However, that is not for me. And I've probably will have to do this until 2014 when Obamacare kicks in and starts forcing insurance companies to take us, or else we go into exchanges. Either way, premiums are going up on those who already have insurance. This is one of the bad side effects from this law. The good stuff trumps the bad though. I actually have excited about it.
manohealing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #36
nolaman504

i cant get insurance, i got denied basically from every insurance company out there even medicaid. "pre-existing condition"

my doc visit was 150, but now she wants her patients to come in 2x every week for group sessions. cause of that she raised her price to 250. plus shes 45min from me, so i had to leave her.

she gave me 60 subutex, and 90 valium, the subutex is 5.50.
suboxone was 9.50-11.00, more for the tab
nolaman504 is offline   Reply With Quote