Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 01-10-2015, 12:28 AM   #1
j3783

I had a few questions about getting my wisdom teeth pulled while on subs. I have never posted anything before and I am not sure if I am in the right forum. But does anyone have any advice for me? I don't really know what to do about my teeth getting pulled while on the subs.
j3783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2015, 01:27 AM   #2
Eliza12

Hi j3783,

Please feel free to ask your questions about getting your wisdom teeth out and someone will be along to make suggestions.

Best,
Elizabeth
Eliza12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2015, 01:51 AM   #3
j3783

I am having serious (painfully serious) problems with my wisdom teeth. They need to be pulled (all 4). I am currently on Suboxone and even though it is a "painkiller" of sorts, its not really helping at the moment. I am not sure if I should tell the dentist about the suboxone or not. I am almost certain that it won't be enough to help with the pain of the post op surgery as it is not helping with my current pain. I am sure they would give me Vicodin but I know that isn't going to help at all. I talked to my doctor about it and he said I would just have to stop taking the subs for a few days and take the prescription of Vicodin normally then start the subs again. I have never had an issue with Vicodin (yes, I realize how naive that sounds) but I think it is because it has such a short half life and I can take small amounts bit by bit to ease pain without getting "high". I am really worried about the pain and don't know what to do. I hate teeth pain more than ANYTHING! I am not worried about relapsing at all. Iam pretty happy with my life and I really have no desire to get "high". I just don't know if the Vicodin would be enough or if there is something else they could prescribe. Ive heard people say that tramadol works as a painkiller but isnt really an opiod. Has anyone else had this issue? If so could anyone give me some advice?
..... sorry for the long post..... and thank you.
j3783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2015, 03:07 AM   #4
Eliza12

Hi,

Here is a link regarding wisdom teeth extraction and pain relief. It seems to depend on how hard it is to remove them. If it were me, I would do what your doctor said, stop the suboxone for a couple of days, and be able to take whatever painkillers you need to relieve the pain. I had a bad time with my wisdom teeth extractions (years ago), but I know someone else who felt fine the next day and just took ibuprofen. So it really depends on the person.

By stopping the suboxone for a few days before, you give the half-life time to get out of your system so the Vicodin, Percocet or whatever can work.

I know you said you aren't worried about relapse, but our minds can be tricky, so be aware. But there is no reason you should suffer either. We've had other people need narcotic pain relief after surgery and they have done well and gone right back to sub soon after.

If anyone would like to jump in here and give more info or suggestions, please do!

Best
Elizabeth
2 Users Say Thank You to Eliza12 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-12-2015), Thank You (01-10-2015)
Unread 01-10-2015, 03:08 AM   #5
Eliza12

Sorry, here's the link:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/19...emoval/#page=1
Unread 01-11-2015, 06:23 AM   #6
willito

Smile

Hi, I was able to get 3 teeth removed while on Suboxone. Think my dose at the time was 4 mg. I did stop the suboxone 3 days before, and yes I'm the same as you. I absolutely hate teeth pain and the whole removal process. I had a form of local ansthesia done during the process. It wasn't cheap, my insurance only covered the first 45 mins for the surgery. Total time was around 90 minutes so i had some out of pocket expenses. Sorry I can't remember the exact name of the process.

It basically went like I showed up the morning of the removals, met with the doc and anastheliogist. He gave me an IV, did the usual countdown from 10 backwards, and next thing I knew it was over. I never felt a thing. Even woke up mid procedure and remember the techs laughing about my funny grin I had on my face. I was given a scrip of 10 Vicodin after which it turned out I didn't even need. After the first day Ibuprofen covered any remaining pain. Couple days later I switched back to suboxone and life was back to normal, minus the agonizing teeth pain.

So if it's in your budget I'd go that route. I know personally whether I was on suboxone or not I'll never go through teeth removal again with just local numbing shots. I did the impacted wisdom teeth removal long ago during boot camp that way, and that one I still have nightmare's about. But I would be honest with your dentist and even have your sub doc consult with him. The whole procedure can be done without feeling a thing, trust me.

Ah found it. Called "Office Based Intravenous Anesthesia with Local Anesthetic".
Intravenous Sedation ("Twilight Sedation")

Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery offices offer their patients the option of Intravenous Sedation or Dental Intravenous Anesthesia or to some it is referred to as "Twilight Sedation" for their dental treatment. Intravenous Sedation or "twilight sleep" helps you to be comfortable and calm when undergoing dental procedures. Your treatment can be completed under intravenous sedation. Intravenous sedation or "IV sedation” (twilight sedation) is designed to better enable you to undergo your dental procedures while you are very relaxed; it will enable you to tolerate as well as not remember those procedures that may be very uncomfortable for you. IV sedation will essentially help alleviate the anxiety associated with your treatment. You may not always be asleep but you will be comfortable, calm and relaxed, drifting in and out of sleep – a "twilight sleep”.
If you choose the option of intravenous sedation your IV sedation/anesthesia is administered and monitored by your Oral Surgeon therefore eliminating the costly expense of having your treatment carried out in an operating room or same day surgical facility.

Link to page that describes the procedure:

http://www.psomsweb.org/anesthesia.aspx

I know some dental offices don't offer it, but most emergency dental places do.Good luck. I still have quite a bit of dental work to come, but no longer worried about the boot camp misery episode
willito is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to willito For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-12-2015), Thank You (01-11-2015)
Unread 01-24-2015, 07:22 PM   #7
jekmimi

Willito! You said you quit taking Suboxone 3 days before your procedure. Please tell me how you handled those three days? I have surgery on Friday, must stop Zubsolv after my last dose Monday night. It's not the surgery that's scaring the bejezuz out of me, it's the having to get off Zubsolv. In 5 1/2 years, I've never NOT taken it everyday---and I'm getting worked up, I know. Did you have any trouble? Actually, I think you may not have, which is very reassuring, b/c you didn't say anything regarding those days before your dental surgery. I hope you will tell me that I have nothing to fear....
jekmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2015, 08:34 PM   #8
gotoffmdone

Most Drs will recommend you stop taking Sub five days before any surgery and four wisdom teeth constitutes that. But the Dr that should deal with that is your Sub Dr. Mine put me on reg pain meds for five days leading up to surgery years ago. If you still take Sub right up until your surgery your mu receptor will be occupied and any opiates your dentist gives you will bounce right off and not work.

I actually think five days off is a short time given sub's long halflife but how much sub you are on will make a difference.

With teeth problems I always found I had less pain after surgery was just a bit sore.

But impacted wisdom teeth are something else.

wayne
gotoffmdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2015, 04:56 AM   #9
willito

Talking

Hi jekmimi,

I didn't have any problems not taking it for the 3 days before. With the long half life I didn't notice anything. Plus I was more scared of the upcoming dental work so I didn't even think about not taking sub those days. I think you have nothing to fear Besides a lot of withdrawals are more mental than physical, at least they were for me. I was just happy to be done with the dental work and get the hell out of that office lol.

I wouldn't overthink it or dwell on not taking subs those days before. Just be happy that you shouldn't feel anything from the dental work.
willito is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to willito For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-25-2015)