Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 09-10-2014, 12:03 AM   #1
Soccermom

Default Surgery In 3 Days

Hi,

I have been on suboxone 8/2 one film per day for 2 years. I had an accident at work and slipped in a puddle in the stairwell last Thursday. I had taken a strip at 12:30 in the afternoon the day before which is when I always take it - mid day. So I really break my ankle so bad that I was taken by ambulance to the hospital and it is broken so badly that I have had to wait for a week to get the swelling down. I did not tell anyone that I was on suboxone and I don't want to tell anyone. So I stopped taking it - my last dose was last Wednesday.

I have not been too bad as far as craving or feeling sick until the last 2 days and so I started taking the norco 10/325 that I was prescribed. I am really sick though and I have been reading articles about how you can still be on suboxone during surgery and use other things for pain such as tordol post op. I would really like to take the suboxone tomorrow the Norco's are not taking care of my painful ankle and I am also starting to go through withdrawals. IT'S AWFUL.

I can't say anything to anyone I work with the people who are operating on me and I have a job that is with a big company yet in a small town. So I am not saying anything. I know your answers are just opinions but I wondered if anyone could give me any personal experience or literature to read to help with my decision.

I don't want the feeling of the narcotics. I don't crave them any other time. Suboxone makes me feel normal - that's it just normal. My thought is to skip Friday when I have surgery take it earlier in the day on Thursday and then back on on Saturday. I have to have plates and pins in my ankle and off of the ankle for 4 weeks. I would rather do other meds for pain anyone think that's possible?

Thanks I really appreciate it.......
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2014, 07:18 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Soccermom, sorry to hear about your ankle. That just sounds painful. Is there any way at all you can hold off taking the Suboxone until after the surgery - is it this Friday? If you can, that would be optimal especially since you don't want to tell your surgeon or anesthesiologist that you are taking it. Because of the long halflife, there's a good chance that if you take 8mg today and tomorrow, it will block the painkiller they use during surgery. Unless you tell them that you do not want any narcotics at all - that way they can work to control your pain with toradol or something else besides an opiate.

Another reason is that if they use an opiate, you would have to wait for mild to moderate withdrawals again to restart the bupe or risk going into precipitated withdrawals.

Just something to think about. Also, this link might be of interest:
http://naabt.org/emergency/

Fingers crossed for your surgery. Let us know what you decide and how you're doing.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
reti4455

Hi soccermom, One thing I,d like to add to Nancys response is that Suboxone only works a short while for pain, maybe 6-7hrs tops.
I know this for a fact. Got info from my sub dr. I have pain issue and this is why he has me split up my dose 3xday. Works a long time for everything else.
That's a good idea to tell physician that you don,t want to be given any of the uaual pain meds. You,ll have to make that clear to them and ask them what else they could use. Tramadol comes to mind but I,m not sure how strong that actually is. Good Luck!
reti4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to reti4455 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (09-10-2014)
Unread 09-10-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi again, reti4455 has some great points about the pain relieving properties of the bupe.

The only I want to add is tramadol may not be an option. People have gone into Suboxone treatment because of tramadol addiction. While it's not technically an opiate, it works on the same receptors, so that could be an issue - especially if the bupe blocks the pain relieving properties of the tramadol.

But you may be able to do what reti4455 does by splitting up your 8mg to 3 or 4 times a day.

Thanks reti4455!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 09-10-2014, 05:54 PM   #5
Soccermom

Hi,

Thank you so much for responding to my post I really appreciate it and it is so nice to have a place that I can talk about it. I go back and forth on how I feel about myself, taking suboxone. It gave me my life back and I don't want to go back to the place I was before I started taking suboxone. I feel normal, that's it just normal and I hate the label associated with it.
I had to take one 8 mg strip this morning and I called the surgeon's office telling them I no longer wanted to take any of the "done" medicines. They called something else in for pain and I have not picked it up yet. I would rather have my ankle throbbing than feel the way I was feeling. I will say this suboxone must have a REALLY LONG half life.
Anyway here I sit until surgery. I will let you know how it all goes. Thanks for your help!!
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2014, 07:14 AM   #6
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Soccermom, it will be interesting to see what they called in for you.

Good luck with your surgery! If you have a chance let us know how you're doing.

Nancy
Unread 09-11-2014, 10:22 PM   #7
gotoffmdone

When I first got on Sub to get off Methadone it was sold to me as a drug that would help reduce my tolerance in the long run for other, full agonist opiates and the wds would not be all that bad.

It seems to me Sub done as much to my tolerance to full agonist short acting opiates as did the Methadone. And when I stopped in order to have surgery it not only took a lot of opiates to help with the post op pain, despite stopping Sub a week before hand, even worse it seemed to take even more opiates to not feel the effects of stopping Sub and dealing with their wds. Just one person's experience. Oh. And it wasn't like I had just been on Sub for a few months, try numerous years.

I had zero cravings for opiates but I do crave not being in pain or wds and it seems hard to find something that would fit the bill. Or maybe I should say someone that would fit the bill by giving me the amount of opiates needed to overcome the pain and the post Sub wds. That is why I tell the guys that have been working on my back my complete drug history. Go from Methadone of ten yrs to Sub for seven almost eight and you are not an average case that's for sure. Its a shame when you can take upwards of 90mgs of oxycodone and the relief you get is somewhere between an Advil and the water it takes to swallow it. I wonder how long a person would have to be off of Sub in order to get pain relief with full agonist without having to take a bucket full.

I just had a couple injection in my spine and as the Dr suspected my back problems are too diffuse and varied in nature for the injections to help and he was correct. Now we have been focusing on having surgery but in the mean time pain mgmt. The pain I have had concerning my back ever since I stopped taking Methadone 8 years ago has diminished my quality of life in virtually every area. Now that I have insurance its time to try and fix this problem. I am beginning to wonder if the day will come to where regular opiates(short acting full agonist) will ever be of benefit and provide for pain relief. My hope is the surgery will suffice. But if not and I have to remain on opiates will the day come that the opiates no longer have to compete with 8 yrs of Sub.

wayne
gotoffmdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #8
deanna

Hi I had bone surgery, a 4 level neck fusion, and did not take opiates. Theres a medication called Nubain that is very good for pain, and works right along with Suboxone and doesnt cause problems. I had toradol IV after my surgery, and the Nubain right after, and trust me it works. Ask your surgeon and anest. about it and Im sure they will tell you the same. You can continue your recovery and get through this, I am proof that its possible. Good luck!