Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 12-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
jekmimi

Default United Health Care---I'm furious!!!

I hate United Health Care! They've dropped my co-pays for Suboxone, so I pay $150.00 per visit, but I co-paid $20.00 for my script. Now, we've received a letter from UHC, telling me that by Jan. 1, 2014, I will have to have my doctor give a detailed reason why I am on Suboxone....or they will drop my co-pay for my generic Sub! I have no idea how much my generic med costs, and UHC is giving me the run-around. I've had my life saved by Suboxone, praise God, having struggled with painkiller dependency for 28 years, been on buprenorphine for 3 1/2 years and have been so happy and able to go on with a normal life with no intense and painful cravings. WHY do these companies have to be so awful about something which is a documented disease and which could kill me if left untreated??? I am sorry to bother my fellow sufferers with this, but I've depended on this site since starting bupe; reading about everyone's problems and the wonderful answers have helped me so much. Can someone help me with advice, please?? Thank all of you so much, I love all of you!
jekmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
julie48

HI. All your doctor has to do is give them the reason why. Addiction is a disease and most insurance would rather pay for medication than have to end up paying tens of thousands of dollars for rehab. How do you not know what your co-pay is? When you pick up your subs, don't u pay it? I would call them and get the answers you need. I have United Health Care for health insurance and they are awesome (though we have the best plan), but I have CVS Caremark Prescription for my medications. Please let us know how it is going. Julie

PS: I searched for UHC 201 and below is the criteria to get approved for suboxone. Just have your doc submit for the approval.

1. The physician meets the qualification certification criteria in the Drug Addiction Treatment Act of 2000 and has been issued a unique DEA identification number by the DEA, indicating that he or she is a qualified physician under the DATA to prescribe Suboxone/ buprenorphine
-AND-
2. The member is being treated for opioid dependence.
B. Buprenorphine will be approved based on all of the following criteria:
1. The physician meets the qualification certification criteria outlines in the Drug Addiction Treatment Act of 2000 and has been issued a unique DEA identification number by the DEA, indicating that he or she is a qualified physician under the DATA to prescribe Suboxone/buprenorphine
-AND-
2. The member is being treated for opioid dependence.
-AND-
3. One of the following:
a. The member is being treated for induction therapy.
b. The member is being treated for maintenance therapy because of intolerance to buprenorphine/naloxone.
c. The member is being treated for maintenance therapy because she is pregnant or breastfeeding.
Authorization will be issued for 12 months.

Last edited by julie48; 12-09-2013 at 07:01 PM..
julie48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
julie48

PS: to the response I posted below. I see your copay is 20.00. I assume that is after you meet your deductible???? As I said they will still continue to cover you, so they should from what it says. Good luck.