Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 05-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #1
jeffbee71

Default NJ Medicaid (UnitedHealthCare NJFAMCAR) Seeking A Buprenorphine Doctor

Hello,

I apologize for another post that is going to ask if anyone knows how to find a doctor who can prescribe Suboxone/Subutex through my NJ Family Care (United Health). I searched the forum a bit but could not find any help and to be honest my brain isn't working all that great nowadays

I was on Suboxone for about a year and had to pay $100 a visit and my old insurance would cover whatever amount for $30. I lost that insurance and eventually got switched to generic buprenorphine as it was cheaper, then my doctors office raised the office visits to $150 a visit. I eventually could not afford paying out of pocked for 4mg a day ($100 a month) + $150 a month for a visit.

Ever since I have been really hurting and doing things I've never done before. I was on Suboxone/buprenorphine for about 2+ years all together, I was also prescribed klonopin for anxiety by the same doctor. I have tried to call other offices in the area but nobody seems to want to help or provide through this insurance. I tried calling the # on the suboxone website and they refused to help find me a doctor who took my insurance, stating they could not do so.

I honestly don't see myself making it much longer like this, I am honestly pretty upset that this is basically the rich man's way to survive and I can't afford it anymore. I have called several behavioral health places and they just say go to a state funded detox or go to the hospital, I am really scared to do that..

Is there anyone that can help? I live in Central, NJ and there are dozens of doctors listed on the site. I know I should start calling more up just to try but it's getting rather ridiculous.

I had a problem with opiates about 4+ years ago and was put on suboxone back then and it saved my life, since then I really don't know any other ways. I went to a detox in FLA and rehab for 60 days, I still never felt the same after all the clean time and when I came back up I relapsed in a matter of weeks.. going back to a doctor for suboxone and I was just fine, but without I can't work, sleep, etc.. I think anyone who has had this issue knows the horrible feeling everyday.

Last edited by jeffbee71; 05-09-2015 at 12:26 PM..
jeffbee71 is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to jeffbee71 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-09-2015)
Unread 05-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi jeffbee71, welcome. So sorry to hear of the problems finding a new doctor. I know you mentioned looking around the forum a little, but did you see this thread on how to find treatment?
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=21259

A few suggestions I recently made to someone with the same issue, except in Kentucky are (with changes to be NJ specific):

Did you ask NJ Family Care to help you find a doctor? Have you asked about out-of-network reimbursement - i.e., if you find a doctor, pay cash and submit the receipts to your insurance company, how much (if any) would the reimbursement to you be?

Some people have asked pharmacists if they know of doctors because they fill the prescriptions.

You can try calling 211 - it's a referral line usually run by the United Way. A few people here over the years have found very low-cost / no cost help that way in their states.
https://www.nj211.org/

Did you call the the State of NJ's D&A Division? Here's the link:
http://www.state.nj.us/humanservices/dmhas/home/
See if they have any programs you can utilize - if that isn't where you found the places you already called.

Lastly, here's a link to low-cost/no-cost medical clinics in NJ.
http://www.needymeds.org/free_clinic...=list&state=NJ

I hope you find someone soon.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2015, 04:31 PM   #3
morphing

JeffBee71,

Nancy gave you some very good suggestions. I know when I started I had to just call all the listings from the find-a-doctor application on the Suboxone web site for my area until I found one that did accept my insurance. It took pretty much a whole day to find one that both took my insurance and had an opening, but I did eventually find one.

Good Luck,
Morphing
morphing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2015, 01:53 AM   #4
jeffbee71

Thank you very much for the websites. I received a match on the treatment match site after posting my insurance plan and received a match, however I called the office which was rather close and they said they didn't take it.. was I maybe supposed to mention the matching site to them? I don't understand why they would reply after reading my notes. I called close to 8 different offices today and not one accepted my insurance. Most of them didn't even accept insurance as I already suspected which is quite upsetting. I was told by one office that they knew that my insurance does pay for the meds and Suboxone/Subutex was listed on my preferred drug list, and so far any prescriptions I have been given (for my high blood pressure) have been covered by the insurance with 0 co-pay which has been nice, but the blood pressure medicine hasn't worked, I told the doctor I was at what meds I was on (subutex & kolonopin) and all she wrote me was Lisinopril and Amlodipine.

To be honest I am about to give up on the search for Suboxone, I would really just like to get back on my kolonopin, or a similar benzo that could help with my anxiety, but after visiting my primary doctor today all he would write is Buspirone (welbutrin) which to be quite honest is garbage and does nothing as I tried it before (told the doctor) that I tried it for 2-3 months a couple years ago and it literally did nothing. I know that doctors are skeptical about giving out anything nowadays, especially in NJ which is quite sad. I was on kolonopin for 2 years, I don't see why my doctor couldn't put me back on it. I know the routine because I've been it through, my last Sub doctor put me on Lexapro and Welbutrin for a couple months when I asked for help with my anxiety from losing my job, basically being broke, and stating that I have trouble staying asleep, etc..

If I could go back on my kolonopin I know that it would help me so much, and I could probably wein myself off the bad dope I've resorted to doing. I know quitting is the hardest thing ever... and my main issue is getting adequate rest as every-time I try to detox I just cannot sleep, I went went a good 2+ weeks when I stopped taking suboxone earlier this year, I went through the wonderful withdrawal symptoms for so long that I eventually just gave up

I appreciate the help, I will have to continue seeking treatment, I really hate playing the doctor search game and being treated like a piece of garbage anytime I state the meds I was on and the problems I've been having, it just seems they look down upon anyone with issues and just want to avoid you. I have a revisit with my primary doctor in 2 weeks and I will tell him that the Welbutrin did nothing (because I know it won't do anything I've tried it before).

It's quite hilarious that I was at the doctor today and stated I wanted to quit smoking cigarettes and his best option for quitting was to take the Buspirone (Welbutrin) as he said it will help with my anxiety and assist me to quit smoking cigarettes. Just a big sigh... nothing comes easy, it's quite insane what you've got to resort to and deal with when seeking help.
Unread 05-12-2015, 06:10 AM   #5
NancyB
Administrator

Hi jeffbee71, I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time. Unfortunately with the matching system, I don't think a lot of doctors (or whoever does it in their office) actually reads the statements, or they do and just hope that people will pay cash. If you haven't called your insurance company, do try that. I hope you get better results.

One other thing, please check your prescription to see if it is for Buspirone or bupropion. If it's Buspirone, that's Buspar, which is specifically for anxiety and has helped people here over the years with their anxiety. Bupropion is the generic name for Wellbutrin. So if you have the Buspirone, it might be worth giving it a try.

It's really disheartening how too many doctors take cash only. You don't see that with any other disease. Imagine having to pay cash only if you had diabetes and needed insulin. The whole system is corrupt. I'll get off of my soapbox now.

Let us know how the search goes today. Fingers crossed.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (05-12-2015)
Unread 05-13-2015, 04:28 PM   #6
jeffbee71

Thanks Nancy... It is for Bupropion (Wellbutrin), unfortunately the doctor prescribed 2 150mg pills a day and my crummy state insurance only authorizes for 1 pill a day, how ridiculous is that? I have tried Buspirone in the past and it did nothing, so maybe this one will be a bit better? I know the Buspirone didn't work because I took it for about 2 months and they say it takes a few days/weeks to build up in your system before you notice anything. That was the breaking point for my last doctor to actually put me on an anxiety medicine.. when we realized the buspirone did nothing he prescribed Kolonopin.. now it seems that every doctor tries to diagnose everyone has "depressed" first before accepting that anxiety is an actual thing.

I was on the subutex and Kolonpin for 2 years, I told this new doctor I was on kolonpin for 2 years and showed him my prescription that I last filled in January. Yet still he prescribes this wellbutrin, he also said it would help me quit smoking as I have been a pack a day smoker for about 10+ years. I mean jeez, I WANT to quit smoking and am seeking help, I would have figured he could have written a Chantex or possibly nicotine gum, something amongst those lines... wow doctors really piss me off and I am tired of calling offices ugh.

Thank you for your help, I will keep trying and if I have any success I will gladly share it so that other forum members in NJ can possibly get help.. as of now 0 luck.
Unread 05-13-2015, 05:09 PM   #7
jeffbee71

Well I kept calling doctors and finally found one that DOES take the NJFAM Care through UnitedHealthCare and setup an appointment. Unfortunately their soonest available appointment was June 1, but better then nothing. Thanks to everyone here for the wonderful support in responses... June 1 couldn't come any sooner heh. I really hope that I can get my life back on track as I have spent the past few months struggling horribly with my opiate addiction.

I am not in a position where I can just take off 2+ weeks to clean myself up, nor living at home with my family isn't fun trying to hide sickness every morning. My family is very loving and supporting and I am so grateful to have them, they know about my addiction and issues but unfortunately after years of battling addiction they still do not understand anything about addiction. I really wish I could help educate them on chemical dependicies and addiction but they are truly in denial about it. It is very tough when you are in your late 20's, living at home, and your family and parents only advise is to "grow up" and "get over it already". To them addiction is just an excuse, same as anxiety. When I went to kick the Suboxone and Kolonopin earlier this year (or tried) I was given a bottle of Amoxicyllin, some Imodium AD, and some Pepto... and to them that was the way to do it. It also doesn't help that my sister dropped off a puppy in December when she doesn't live here, so every morning I am woken up by a crying dog lol. I love animals and I get my butt out of bed to take care of our new puppy whenever I must, it's just very bad timing to be raising an animal when I can barely take care of myself. There are so many elements and factors playing roles in my life right now that I cannot control, I truly wish I could just take off for 2-3 weeks to a detox/rehab but I can't afford it financially nor could I do to helping an elderly family member on top of a new puppy... I know it sound corny but I try to take it 1 day at a time. I am no stranger to AA/NA as I goto AA meetings as much as possible when I have the time (AA is more mature and serious in this part of NJ). Once again I thank all and will keep this thread updated when I can.
Unread 05-13-2015, 06:36 PM   #8
NancyB
Administrator

Hi jeffbee71, that is great you found a doctor who takes your insurance! June 1 couldn't come any sooner is right! Hopefully this will be the last time you need to take Suboxone. This thread is helpful - it's kind of like a timeline - that might be interesting:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=23809

Do you think your family would watch these videos or do some reading on the Addiction HBO site? It explains addiction really well in a straight-forward way. Even if they just watched and read this one link, it might help:
http://www.hbo.com/addiction/underst...addiction.html

I was thinking at first that your insurance only covers 1 150mg of bupropion a day for stopping smoking, but this says otherwise.
http://www.drugs.com/dosage/bupropio...king_Cessation

It works on dopamine rather than serotonin like most other anti-depressants. Can hurt to give it a try. One other prescription that helped people here with anxiety is Cymbalta, it's for both depression and anxiety. So that could also be something to talk with your doctor about because of the reluctance to prescribe benzos.

Most of all, I'm really happy you persevered and found a doctor! Yay!

Nancy
Unread 06-01-2015, 05:32 PM   #9
jeffbee71

Well finally the day has come. I wanted to thank everyone again for helping me with responses and websites. I had my 1st visit with my new doctor today (after waiting 17 days since they are busy..). They accepted my insurance as stated in my previous posts. The doctors was amazingly awesome, I am very grateful to have found him and been able to see him.

I was put on 16mg (2 8's a day), I stated all my previous drug usages, he was incredibly nice and understanding and I couldn't have been happier.

Unfortunately the health insurance company needs "pre-authorization" or something, so the doctor needs to fax some paperwork to the ins company and HOPEFULLY they cover the cost of the meds... I will know by tomorrow afternoon. It would really help as each strip is roughly $9 a piece, and $18 a day times 30 (for a month) would be incredibly ridiculous. But I am now in a position to actually begin working again, and things will smooth themselves out.

I hope that anyone from NJ, especially my area see's my post and can learn from it
Unread 06-01-2015, 06:58 PM   #10
NancyB
Administrator

Hi jeffbee, that's great that you finally got to see the doctor, but not so good about the authorization. Did the doctor give you any instructions on how to start - are you taking any opiates now? If you are, you have to be in mild to moderate withdrawals or else the buprenorphine could put you into precipitated withdrawals. This link explains it well:
http://www.naabt.org/documents/NAABT_PrecipWD.pdf

Also, not being contrary to what your doctor said, but you may not even need 16mg. The protocol for starting is to wait until the patient is in mild to moderate withdrawals and have him/her take 2mg. Wait an hour or so - it can take 20 minutes for some effect, but up to 2 hours for full effect. After that hour or so if the patient is still having cravings and/or withdrawals, take another 2mg, etc.

Taking 16mg at once if you don't really need it can cause you to feel pretty lousy. It's easier to increase a dose than decrease because of the 37-hour halflife. 16mg was considered the target dose when bupe was first approved. Now it's a more individualized approach so that the patient is taking the least amount that stops cravings and withdrawals. Just something to think about.

Here's a link to the Suboxone savings card. It might even cover your copay (I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your insurance will cover your meds).
http://www.suboxone.com/treatment-pl...-card?cid=subx

Good luck, let us know how it goes tomorrow!

Nancy
Unread 06-02-2015, 03:23 PM   #11
jeffbee71

I was unfortunately only able to afford 2 8mg strips out of pocket, I took 8mg yesterday and 4 so far today. I am waiting to hear back from either the doctor's office or the pharmacy.

I have not taken any opiates since Sunday evening, I felt like trash most of yesterday until I got out of the doctor and went to the pharmacy. I felt a lot better afterwards, I felt a little squeamish today and still am.. I am just a little frustrated they told me 24hrs yesterday (insurance company/doctor office) and today when I called the insurance company they said yes they received the fax with the request yesterday but it could take 72 hours now... like seriously make up your minds!

I do not want to do anything illegal anymore, and I know I am on the brink of a nice start to road of betterness. If I have to seek help from family or friends financially for these meds it wouldn't be the worst thing, but I am praying that the insurance company comes through... well I guess the waiting continues.
Unread 06-02-2015, 08:41 PM   #12
NancyB
Administrator

Hi jeffbee71, wow, I'm so sorry to hear that about the insurance. That's just plain crazy - waiting 3 days for a prescription to be 'authorized'? The insurance company is not a doctor.

Do you think you can wait until tomorrow morning to take the other 4mg?

Fingers crossed you get the authorization tomorrow!

Nancy
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (06-03-2015)
Unread 06-04-2015, 03:27 PM   #13
jeffbee71

Well after calling the insurance company again (72 hours) they tell me now that I need a Behavioral Health Counselor and that my doctor's office notified me of this this morning (they did not). So I called the doctor's office and the girl said she told me that this morning, I told her she never spoke to me and she seemed confused. This is pretty ridiculous, they could have told me this Monday at the doctors office, and if it wasn't their problem the insurance company could have told me!

So the doctor's office gave me a # for a counselor that they said "usually" does his "meetings" with the doctor in office. I called the # and left a message... has anyone ever heard of this??

The insurance company forwarded me to their Behavioral Health Dept and it was basically a run around, reading their website and from what the representative said on the phone before forwarding me to the BHD they said they could find me a counselor, but when speaking to them they said they had no idea and I would have to find one in my area that takes Medicaid and that the counselor would have to contact the insurance company.

I pretty much feel I am beat out of luck on this insurance thing unless I can find a counselor that I guess is willing to take my Medicaid/Insurance and is willing to call the insurance company to "back" me.. at least that is how I feel. I am hoping this one counselor I called calls me back, but jeez who knows.

I am just wondering if anyone here has ever had to find a behavioral health counselor for this type of reasoning and maybe where do I find one?
Unread 06-04-2015, 05:47 PM   #14
jeffbee71

Well let me update to thiss point. I was lucky I knew someone who knows counselors since she's been around the block. I was able to lock down a counselor, provide the information to my doctor's office, and the DO said they would forward that information to the insurance company. Asking how long it would take was like asking my dog what day it is... so I plan on calling the insurance company AGAIN in about an hour or two to see if the information was submitted, and if the authorization was approved.

I am glad I am documenting this in case anyone goes this route, if things work out they will obviously be worth it and I would seriously consider advertising all this information since I've had to find out different things from different people throughout the past few months... if I would have known everything 5-6 months ago then I would have had a much better year.. but we will see..
Unread 06-04-2015, 06:56 PM   #15
NancyB
Administrator

Hi jeffbee71, first off, I'm glad you found a counselor so quickly. This process is crazy. Why didn't the insurance company tell you the first time you needed a counselor? Yikes.

It sounds like the counselor you left a message with who does 'meetings' in the office may be a counselor, but conducts group counseling instead of individual counseling. I would the office staff at your doctor would be a little more knowledgeable since it's part of their office basically.

More and more insurance companies (in some cases state governments) are requiring bupe patients to attend counseling as part of the treatment program. I don't know if it's an altruistic requirement so that the patient gets the most out of treatment or if it is to try to weed out people who only get prescriptions to sell on the street. I'm kind of leaning to the latter.

Please do keep up posted on your progress. It really will help others. I think one of the big things people should do is to check their insurance formulary or call the company to see if counseling is required and if they do need a PA.

Keeping my fingers crossed this doesn't drag out over the weekend.

Nancy
Unread 06-04-2015, 07:41 PM   #16
jeffbee71

I guess in fairness to the doctor's office it's not their responsibility to know each patient's unique insurance company's requirements, however they do seem to play stupid like most of the sub offices in this area.. maybe they really are I am not sure?

Either way, the insurance company is UHC and they use OptumRX for the prescription stuff.. so it's basically like 2 companies working together, which I've had before in the past.. I've just never had any issues before. Considering it is a government/state funded insurance I understand that they want to require patients to do everything imaginably a pain in the ass (hop through hoops) before offering to pay.. but they had no problem paying for an anti-depressant that reguarly would have cost $160 at Walgreens for a month supply.. and yeah I won't take that bupropion garbage anymore, it made me feel sick.

I guess I also understand that since UHC uses Optum for their RX stuff that they probably don't know all the requirements Optum is going to need for each thing, but literally 72hrs for them to find out for me is rather ridiculous.. but as they said it was never denied it's just "pending".. until whenever they decide to do whatever they want to do.

I'm just a little scared that my doctor's office told the insurance company, then me, that they "spoke" to me this morning and discussed this with me.. clearly they are covering their butts not to look stupid, or spoke to someone with the same name as me, on the same meds, requiring the same requirements... who knows.. scary though.

I hope to know something more by tomorrow as I've only been able to purchase enough out of pocket until Saturday, and yes Sunday and Monday would be horrible to wait through. My 1st counseling appt is Monday at noon, so i don't know if the insurance/rx company needs some type of confirmation from counseling people, if they'll require me to wait more for X amount of sessions, etc. etc... i guess they could drag this out as long as possible.
Unread 06-05-2015, 11:23 AM   #17
nan

Hi Jeffbee71, Just jumping in here-so sorry you have had such difficulty with the insurance company! Congrats for sticking with it and documenting it on here for others to see and be aware of what might happen to them also.

Now, you were prescribed 16mg, right? Are you taking that daily? Just a thought if you are, try taking less, at least until you get this all straightened out. 16 is a pretty high dose and even if the insurance covers it you might not need that amount. With the ceiling effect, plus the long half-life you should be just fine.

Hope you get the insurance/counselor thing settled. What a horrible hurdle you have had to get over. So glad that you have stuck with it, Congratulations on taking the steps necessary for recovery.

nan
nan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2015, 02:18 PM   #18
jeffbee71

AND today I woke up and had a missed call from the Ins Comp, so I called them back, they said they received the paperwork from the doctor office this morning and would be processing it... it took about 3-4hrs maybe and my pharmacy called me to say everything went through.. so I am GOOD!

I guess if I could pass any advice on to anyone here seeking help in the state of NJ... there IS hope! It's been a long year getting back on track the past few months, but here are the steps I have gone through...

1. Applied for NJ Family Care/Medicaid. http://www.njfamilycare.org
Wait roughly 4-8 weeks for your Medicaid NJ State Health Benefits Card (if approved)... allow the state or choose a health plan (there are 5 listed on the site).. I honestly don't remember what I chose, but they gave me United. Once receiving the benefits card, it takes about 2 weeks before your insurance plan starts... but the Medicaid is valid once you receive your Medicaid Card.. then you eventually receive your Insurance Card.

2. Seek a Sub doctor in your area on the Sub website.. www.suboxone.com
I had to call roughly 12 different offices in my area until I found one that took Medicaid/NJ Family Care. I was taking the names off the Sub website and searching them on the health insurance plan website where they show covered doctors.. I believe after calling a bunch randomly, I found 1 name on my company's website and tried calling them. That was the jackpot call, they said they took it, I had to call the insurance company and switch my PrimaryCarePhysician to that doctor, the 1st visit took about 2-3 weeks (17 days) from the day I 1st called the doctor office. I survived the waiting period, don't ask how...

3. Went to the Doctor, was 100% honest, signed a contract (the no drug ones while on program)... I WISH I would have known this insurance company requires counseling to prior-authorize suboxone.. but it's okay, I was given my prescription, took it to the pharmacy, was told that it was being prior-authorized as it was pending.. after 4 days from my visit I was Approved, however I needed to give the doctor's office the # and name of a counselor I will be meeting with 1hr a week.. for how long I honestly don't know yet. My 1st counseling session is next week.

4. Once approved after giving the doctor's office the counseling information the doctor office forwarded the information to the insurance company, the company then 100% approved my prescription, so all the phone calls and waiting paid off! $0 co-pay... I was actually refunded at the pharmacy like $100 for the meds I picked up and paid for out of pocket.

So if you live in NJ, are broke or make very little money, and are seeking help... these are the steps for you. I wish I would have known all of this months ago. Yes, I would have still waited for the Medicaid/Insurance Company (ObamaCare basically). But I would have saved myself 3 months of suffering if I had gotten on the Sub website and started calling DR offices in my area asking if they accepted my insurance.. I was VERY LUCKY to find the Dr. I did. He is great, their office is pretty nice, and $0 for visits, and $0 for my meds... only in America

I wish anyone and everyone the best. I hope this post stays up to help fellow NJ people seeking help... this was my way and it worked... for how long.. I do not know, but I am going to be very careful and not take advantage of this oppurtunity. You have no idea (unless you do) how beautiful it is to wake up and not start sweating, vomiting, have your heart beating, and go through the agony of dealing with the every day addiction, having to deal with complete scum, literally associating with some of the worst people in the world just to get your fix, not even to enjoy it, but just to feel normal.. it's a horrible way to live.

Good Luck to Everyone. I hope this thread can help some people!
Thank You (06-05-2015)
Unread 06-05-2015, 02:22 PM   #19
jeffbee71

Quote:
Originally Posted by nan View Post
Hi Jeffbee71, Just jumping in here-so sorry you have had such difficulty with the insurance company! Congrats for sticking with it and documenting it on here for others to see and be aware of what might happen to them also.

Now, you were prescribed 16mg, right? Are you taking that daily? Just a thought if you are, try taking less, at least until you get this all straightened out. 16 is a pretty high dose and even if the insurance covers it you might not need that amount. With the ceiling effect, plus the long half-life you should be just fine.

Hope you get the insurance/counselor thing settled. What a horrible hurdle you have had to get over. So glad that you have stuck with it, Congratulations on taking the steps necessary for recovery.

nan

Thanks Nan. I was prescribed 16mg, I told the doctor I was on 4mg up until December/January until I couldn't afford it anymore. I told him honestly that I was doing roughly 5-10 bags of H a day, he suggested 16mg for my 1st 2 weeks. I told him I know that is too much for me but I will try it. Honestly, I only need 8mg a day, but the 1st day or 2 I took roughly 12mg. I told him I will NOT redose during mid-day/evening because in the past I realized that I would have trouble sleeping.. So I take everything I am going to take in the morning, and I am good all day.

I was on 4mg for quite a few months, and I was great.. however I was also on Kolonopin, which this Dr refuses to give to sub patients.. and understandable because it's NOT a good combo, I have realized my blood pressure was very high a few weeks ago and I blame the combo of the Bup and Benzos. I was very lucky to find such a good doctor, I will visit him again this month, then take it from there...
Unread 06-05-2015, 03:07 PM   #20
NancyB
Administrator

Hi jeffbee71, that's great news! It was so worth your persistence and being your own best advocate.

I hope you don't mind, but I copied and stuck your thread in the welcome forum in hopes that it will help others find treatment:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=30020

$0 and a refund for the other meds you paid for out of pocket is fabulous too!

Thanks for the update and the great post on how to find a doctor.

Nancy
Unread 06-05-2015, 03:26 PM   #21
jeffbee71

No problem at all, thank you for your support and sticking with me here lol. I feel that this process can be followed by anyone in my state who is in my position. I can't guarantee that everyone will find a doctor that is as close as the one I found (about 10-15min drive from home). But as for obtaining the insurance and going through the processes after seeing the doctor it is very possible to get these things done.

I have no problem with the thread being sticky'd, I would hope that this post stays around for awhile so that fellow NJ folk can find themselves support. It would be nice if people from other states could maybe share their success or stories with similar processes... since I believe every state offers an "Obamacare" or Family Care type government assisted health insurance plan now...
Unread 07-13-2015, 05:05 PM   #22
jeffbee71

I would like to check back in that it has been 6 weeks since my 1st appointment with my new doctor. The past month has been great being back on my Suboxone and this doctor really is wonderful he has saved my life.

I was still having high blood pressure, mainly based on my anxiety, there was no way I could fight it as I have tried Lisinopril and another blood pressure med that would help, but obviously when I get nervous or stressed out. I spoke to my doctor about it and he agreed to give me a very tiny dose of Clonzapem, the sub-lingual tablet I have never seen before. Of course, like magic they've got my blood pressure back to normal, at least much lower. I am not sweating or worrying about work tomorrow, and when I will get paid again later this week at work.. all the things that would bug me from morning to night. I hope this thread has helped others in NJ, as it is the way that I had to get myself back on track.
Unread 07-13-2015, 08:24 PM   #23
NancyB
Administrator

Hi jeffbee71, thanks for checking in. Such good news to hear how well you're doing and what a good doctor you have! That's so exciting to hear.

We have a lot more people who read, so I'm sure your experience has helped someone out there.

Very happy for you!

Nancy
Unread 08-10-2015, 06:50 AM   #24
jeffbee71

Hey everyone, just checking in again.

Things have been great as of late, continuing my Suboxone treatment, having Medicaid cover it... until next month at least as a letter sent home from the insurance company stated they've preauthorized it until sometime in Sept. I have asked around and a lot of people tell me that the medication will be covered the doctor's office will just have to fill out some more forms for the insurance company.. not holding my breath for that to happen.

I may have stated that the insurance company refused to pay for the "wafers" or desolving tablets of Klonopin, obvious reasons being that the .25mg ODTs are 8x the price of a regular generic pill. The insurance company and pharmacy both sent letters to my doctors office stating which would be cheaper and/or OKAY'd to be covered by the insurance, yet the DO never changed the prescription. After calling numerous times stating I can't afford to pay roughly $90 a month for a medication I could receive in a pill form and cut the pills in half with would only cost $5-10 for, I wouldn't care about paying out of pocket for that... but I WOULD NOT have to since the insurance stated they would cover the .5 pills.

I understand doctors prescribe certain things, possibly in this scenario to avoid patients abusing certain forms of medications, but this is a little silly. The lady at the office gave me a runaround for about a month until she finally stated "He's not going to do that" in reference to changing my ODT's to pill form that could be covered by insurance. Garbage answer/excuse.. why not? She said I would have to speak to him next visit (which sadly is more than a month away).

I heard it's actually illegal in some cases for a doctor to not change a prescription for a patient that can't afford a medication, especially when all that needs to be done is for the medicine script to be changed to something suggested by the insurance company or pharmacy.

Anyone have any input, experiences, or ideas? I was thinking about either calling my DO back or going down myself (since he staff plays.. or possibly is actually that dumb) and telling them that it's illegal and a hardship for what he is prescribing me, and after already paying out of pocket for a month and taking the medication I may (won't) be able to continue taking the medication because I cannot afford to.... hopefully someone has had a similar scenario and would know what to do here..

Other than that everything is great, I can literally have a long, productive day thanks to my medication, and actually only 1 8mg strip along with .5 kolonopin has been the formula for so.
Thank You (01-21-2017)
Unread 01-19-2017, 08:01 PM   #25
nichole83

I'm also looking for a doctor in Nj that takes medicaid/Uhc for my husband . could you possibly give me the doctors info? We can't afford to pay outta pocket. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
nichole83 is offline   Reply With Quote