Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 10-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
webfoot

Default Information about Kaiser

I must say it has been a few years since my last post. I am still alive, still on Buprenorphine. The rest of my life has gone through changes that would drive even a straight person to use.

What I am trying to find is some current information on Kaiser in Northern California. I just moved from the Northern Idaho where I have had the same Dr for the past 6 years to an area where I don't know anybody. I do have Kaiser insurance and I have been trying to get some information from Kaiser about their Suboxone/Chemical Dependency program so I can find a Dr to continue my Buprenorphine. However, so far I can not get much information either from Kaiser or the web.

I have read that even if you are already taking the medication Kaiser will require you to go to one of their clinics once a day for a few weeks for medication and then they maybe will cut it down to a few days a week.
That is not my lifestyle any more. I have been seeing my Dr every 2-3 months and he provides me refills. To thinkk about having to show up at a clinic everyday for weeks is enough justification to consider getting off the medication. The last place I want to go is a clinic with a room full of other addicts, no offense to them, I just don't need to be around others that I know might be using.
I have totally changed my life style and I am no longer around anybody that uses and I like it that way.

So, is there a way around this format. Can I find a Dr within Kaiser who can write Buprenorphine with out the hassle.

If I can't then I will most likely find a Dr outside of Kaiser to get some Buprenorphine so I can start to taper and get off this stuff for good.

Any help or feed back would greatly be appreciated.

Oh, Hello to you Nancy, I do not know if your remember me and to gotoffdone, we also chated a few times. I hope you both are doing well.

And, if you would like some up-date on my life for the past 3 years, let me know, it has been quite interesting to say the least.

Webfoot
webfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Webfoot, nice to 'see' you! Yes, I would love to know how you're doing and what you've been up to - when you have time.

Did you see this link?
https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org...rqAgATg096A!!/

"Call to make an appointment for therapy and other counseling services. Use our location finder to get the phone number of the mental health, behavioral health, or psychiatry department in your area."

Did you try that and see if anyone there could explain the program?

I found this from 3 years ago from this thread:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=24795

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootergalp View Post
Hey Sue, I'm up in the bay area near San Fran. I get my suboxone through kaiser, but I have to be in their CDRP program to do so. I go to CDRP in Vallejo and have learned so much there. I've been going there 2 and a half years now. I used to go everyday for a long time but now I only go 2-3 times a week. I'm sure each one is different, but when you first start they have different phases,1-3. They have day treatment(First 2 weeks) too,usually for people that are just getting off their drugs though. The program in vallejo is one of the best outpatient programs in the Country. I get a month supply of Sub at a time and my Co-pay is $15, but everyones coverage is different. Mine just went up, but was only $5 the first 2 years I was there. Good Luck!!

Scott
I couldn't find anything anywhere that says if that's how the program still works though.

If you do find out, please let us know. I'm very curious to see if that's how it's still done.

In the meantime, do you think your old doctor would give you a script with a couple of refills one last time and maybe you'd have enough to taper off with that?

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2013, 12:41 AM   #3
webfoot

Thanks Nancy, I appreciate the information. Sorry for the delay in getting back. After I posted my quest on information on Kaiser I totally forgot about it.

After a number of calls I finally was able to get through to somebody that could provide me with some information. My biggest fear is having to show up every day for 2 weeks to get medication. Plus, and anybody that has ever been in a new town and needed a connection the first place ya go is to the clinics. I don't want to be around people trying to get clean, I respect the fact that they are doing what they need to do.
However, the fact of the matter is in every group, every clinic etc that I have ever gone to starting back with one of the first Methadone detox programs in CA in 1970 up until I stopped using, I have always got high or scored from other people at these places. It might not happen the first day but it happens and has happened each and everytime.
This is what I am afraid of and I made a big deal about it when I finally got to talk to someone.

I was able to meet with some folks at their SFO Chemical Dependency program and they laid out a plan that I have to do before they will give me any medication.
I have to show up 3 times a week for education classes and one group plus I have to attend one group a week outside of Kaiser. I have to do this for 2 weeks before they will even let me see the Dr.
Lucky for me I do have some Buprenorphine stashed just for this. My question to them was what if I didn't and I was starting to get sick would they still make be go through all these hoops to get medication. The answer was for the most part yes and that scares me.
Anybody that I met with so far will know exactly who I am through my story, however, I have nothing to hide. All I want is to continue my medication with as little hassle as possible.

I told them I can do thir plan, however, I made sure they knew that as far as I am concerned that this plan is jepardising my sobriity. I explained my fears and told them if I start feeling like I am around anybody that I think I can get high with or score from I will be back in their office. I won't give anybody up, that is not my goal, however, I know better. Clinics are full of people that still use and I don't want to be around them.

I have spent a lot of years away from anybody that uses, well I take that back, I know a few people that are legal pot smokers. Gee, who would have thought. Oh well.
Anyway, I did plan for this and I have enough to cover me for about 30 days.

Now, next on my list is do I want to get off this shit. If I ever have to move again I do not want to go through this hassle again. So, maybe it is time for me to taper off. But, I keep hearing the horror stories of trying to get off. And yes, if I knew then what I know now, I would not have got starte on Suboxone because I know that getting off the pills and years ago getting off Heroin was a lot easier than this in goinna be.

And that is me current.

Over the past 7 years, most of the time I have been on Buprenorphine I was a full time care giver for my wife. I may have mentioned it in previous posts. Anyway, in 2012 she passed away, she was my whole life and all of a suden she was gone. Within two weeks of her passing my 80 year old brother who was living with me got diagnosed with lung cancer and I became his full time care giver until he passed in January of this year.
I did not even have time to deal with my wife before I was taking care of my brother.
Once he passed I put my house and 10 acres on the market the first people to look at it made me a full price offer and by May of this year I was out of the house I spent years in with my previous wife.

I was living by myself and not doing anything, I didn't have to work from making a few bucks on the house and that was just the way I wanted it.

One thing that suprised me was when my wife passed I would have thought I would be back to using within a couple of days. For the first time ever in my life, I didn't want to, I had no feeling what so ever to want to get high. And believe me that was something new to me, I always resorted to getting high when something bad happened. Well at least before I got on Suboxone.

So, here I am living by myself not doing anything and I start an email conversation with a lady that I went from second grade all the way through high school with. We never hung out, we had mutual friends, we knew who each other was and that was it.
Well those emails became phone calls and within a few weeks we had developed a pretty strong relationship. We moved forward with spending sometime together and it get even better.
By the end of the fourth month we had gotten married, I moved from the area in the Northwest where I had been for the past 20 years and am back in my home territory in the Bay area. Is that something or what.

We are happy even for a couple of old folks.

And other than dealing with Kaiser all is good, Well, almost. As soon as I get this Kaiser stuff done then I have to go back to work. I have run out of money and it is time. The other thing is because I screwed off my whole life I have nothing to retire on. I will work till the day I drop dead, I have known that most of my life and that is ok. That is why I want this Kaiser thing done and overf with so I can go back to getting my medication every month.

There ya have it
Unread 10-17-2013, 03:14 AM   #4
Stepbak

Default ♥ Kaiser♥

I have Kaiser and I promise you that once you get through there initial couple of weeks of doing what they need you to do they will make you come in once a month for a short while, then it will be every other month. I just went last week and I hadn't been in to see my Dr. For five months. As long as I showed up at any one of their labs and did a tox screen a day or two before my refill is due then she sends the refill to the pharmacy for me. No hassles at all. I hope it works out good and easy for you.
If you run out them just go to an ER and explain your situation. Or call for an after hours emergency appt. With Kaiser and they will do at least a three day for you. MAYBE MORE
Do what they ask even if it is a pain at first because it is by far the cheapest and easiest way to go through recovery. Kaiser saved my life and I absolutely love the program. They are respectful and I have never been made to feel like a junkie like many outside Dr offices horror stories that I have been reading on here.
Stepbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
NancyB
Administrator

Hi webfoot, glad you were finally able to get some information. Stepbak provided some good input too. So it sounds like after the initial pain in the neck stuff, it won't be bad at all. As far as tapering off, here's the taper stories - good and bad - you can learn from both. But the rule of thumb is to go slowly, not overthink it, exercise and be ready.
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=16678

Wow, you've been through the whole range of emotions the last few years. I'm very sorry for your losses. That takes a lot to be a caretaker - and to lose your wife and then care for and then lose your brother in such a short time is heartbreaking. But it's inspiring that you stayed in recovery during it all.

It really is something what happened after the sadness. I'm glad to hear that you're happy and healthy. The internet can be a good thing, right? Congratulations on your new life. May you have continued happiness!

Thanks so much for the update webfoot. I hope that the Kaiser thing works out smoothly and you can move on from there.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:45 PM   #6
webfoot

Stepbak, thanks for the information I appreciate the reply. I am in my second week of showing up 3 days a week and attending one outside meeting a week.
So far I am ok with it, however, I am still uncomfortable being around people that are in the beginings of their being clean and for some this begining is the umpteenth time which means clinics are still the best place to score a connection.
I hope they deal with me the same as you. I meet my assingned counselor this week for the first time so I hope to learn more. The other thing I am concerned is since there is no Kaiser cd programs where I am at they will require me to continue to drive into the city to get my medication. They have told me that the Dr's that can write Buprenorphine are only at the major chem dependency facilities and not where I am at. They told me that their are no Dr's in my area that have been through the online training so they can write suboxone. Again, thanks for the information.

Nancy, thanks for your thoughts. You are always so kind. Although you and I have not communicated much I do appreciate you always taking the time to write and provide feedback.
webfoot
Unread 10-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
NancyB
Administrator

Hi webfoot, did you meet your counselor and get any more information from him/her like how often you would have to go into the city if need be? I wonder if there are any certified doctors in your area who are in the Kaiser network, but just not specializing in addiction - would a doctor like that be able to write the script or do they only go with the ones designated in the CD program? Just kind of curious.

Otherwise, I hope you're doing well!

Nancy