Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 11-16-2014, 03:32 PM   #1
willard47

Default endoscopy anesthesis

Nancy and others with this dilemma. I have an upper endo in 10 days, I'm on about 1mg sub a day.Normal anesthesia is versed/fentanyl . What would you recommend I do. I don't think my doc is really up there with subs but, otherwise he's very experienced. (He was even Bob Hopes doc, but I doubt Bob was on Sub LOL. I read of propofol being used with and without versed and some have done it with no anesthesia (that doesn't sound good to me. Any ideas, I' calling the doc office tomorrow. Thanks, Willard
willard47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2014, 04:12 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Willard, sorry you have to have that done. Is Bob Hope's old doctor your sub doctor or the endo doctor?

Some people have stopped the bupe a day or two ahead of the procedure. Others have talked with their doctors about alternatives to opioids (some people just said they had a bad reaction to opiates - not wanting to reveal the Suboxone) - and they ended up having propofol like you mentioned.

Which doctor are you calling tomorrow?

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
willard47

Default endoscopy

Nancy, thanks for the quick response, I don't thinkmy doctor probably ever heard of subs since I showed up.His med tech nurse sure didn't know what I was talking about just said I would have an interesting time during the procedure, what an asshole!
willard47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2014, 07:19 AM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Willard, seriously?? Wow, that is something else! I can't believe your doctor would talk to you like that!

Here's a link that maybe he should look at and call and ask an expert what should be done. http://pcssmat.org/mentoring/
You should have an 'interesting time during the procedure' is not acceptable. What a jerk.

Let me know what happens.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (11-18-2014)
Unread 11-17-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
jess2245

I have undergone 4 endoscopies in the past 9 months. Tell the anethesia nurse/dr that you are on subs. Thats allI had to do and they used the propofol formulation. No side effects or worries. And I did not stop taking them for any amount of time. HTH
jess2245 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Say Thank You to jess2245 For This Useful Post:
Thank You (01-24-2015), Thank You (11-17-2014)