Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 05-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
amb128

Default Hi

Hello Nancy Just wanted to stop in and tell y'all hello and that I'm alive. love to hear from everyone. I will check back in after work. oh, yes I'm still off the pain pills. Love you
Unread 05-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Alene!! So nice to hear from you!

Fabulous job staying off the pain pills! Hope everything is going well for you and your girls. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
amb128

Hello Nancy an Happy Thanksgiving! I hope this finds you well and that you are getting to spend some time with your family today.I really need some advice from y'all if anyone is out there today. Sometime about 2 weeks ago I really hurt my back somehow. I never went to the Dr. or chiropractor, it sort of worked itself out when enough time passed. I couldn't walk or drive without terrible pain shooting through my chest and tingling in my arms. Two days ago it began again. I have worked 3 jobs and cleaned the horse stalls etc. This morning when I woke up I knew I had messed up. I cannot look down at all, to walk or even reach for anythingit is terribly painful. I am still on the Sub. strips. I take about 1/8 of an 8 mg every 4-5 days. Usually withdrawal symptoms appear in one form or another and I take a little. I have not taken any pain medicine in years now. That is something I never thought I would be able to say. I don't even think about them, still don't want them even now, but have plenty to do as usual that I cannot back our of. My question is, if anyone could give me a quick moment, should I take some pain medicine if monitored by someone else or should I just keep trying to suffer through this? I know the obvious solution wold seem to be to go to a Dr. but let me please say that I plan to and also expect for them to assume I am hunting meds. and get little if any help. At most I hope to get a referral for an e-ray or a chiropractor. Thanks, I will be checking back in a few to see if anyone has any help for me. I have heat patches on it already, and I am avoiding any unnecessary movement.
Unread 11-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Alene, yikes, I'm sorry to hear how much pain you're in. Are you feeling any better since you posted? How would you feel psychologically if you took pain meds - would it set you back at all even though you would be taking them responsibly and monitored for legitimate pain.

Have you tried taking 1 to 2mg of Suboxone to see if that might help with the pain?

If you can't look down, have a hard time walking and reaching for things, I would hope that any doctor would SEE you're in actual pain and not drug seeking. You could even ask for something that's non-narcotic like toradol - but you can't take toradol long term.

I hope you're with your girls and loved ones and making the best of Thanksgiving despite all of your pain.

Bottom line, you have to do what you think is best for you. If you do decide to take painpills, that's a great idea to have someone hold them and monitor you.

Please let us know what you decide and how you're feeling.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 11-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
amb128

Wink

Thanks Nancy, as always I appreciate the wise advice. I thought all of it out, and I decided I am making a huge mistake putting so much energy into what should be a simple situation. Not to say it doesn't deserve careful thinking and for-thought, but after so many years of life without obsessing over pills I didn't want to spend anymore time in such terrible pain, nor anymore time with my mind somewhere anywhere but here. I did take 2 hydro 5's. The pain eased enough for me to manage a shower, but honestly there isn't any pain medicine that could fix what I think I have done to my back. Plain and simple, if I would have taken care of myself 3 weeks ago when this started maybe I wouldn't be hurting this much still or I would have an alternative to wondering what to do to help myself. A lot of things have changed and I have grown up a bunch since I started this treatment. I am proud of the decision I made despite popular opinions I hear around me. Nobody knows, or they seem to have forgotten the monster I was when my life was spent filling that void I couldn't fill nor numb out. Suboxone gave me a chance to direct my attention to the things which I love the most. It quieted the beast long enough to pull myself from the chaos I had created. I am not scared of turning back into the person I was, that person is and has been gone a long time. I am sorry for disappointing myself. I never question myself when I take my sub. I know that without it things may go haywire. I truly believe it works as some type of anti-depressant in my brain. I have been on many types of medication, none of which worked. I never have to worry about sickness, money or where to get it,(funny thing how going to work every day instead of pill seeking puts cash in your wallet), or do I feel like at any time my moods go from one extreme to another. I look back and for many years my emotions where the reason for every decision I made. Deciding whether to take pain medicine became very easily an emotional choice. So much of my past came rushing to my thoughts, fear of losing control, fear of being in control. I read some random posts, spent some time with the girls and after I showered came to rest on the bed. I found my lap top still open to this site, where I had been earlier waiting and anxious for anyone to tell me what to do. That seems silly thinking about it. I am lucky enough today to not spend life questioning whether or not I can handle small stuff, of course I can. I've had time to plan ahead how to handle a situation like this if it ever came up. The people around me that know me and care for me know what is going on and together it will all be taken care of. I will be taking it easy this weekend and hopefully next week get myself into a Dr. that will remedy my back. As for the addict that lays in wait somewhere in the back of my busy mind, she will have to take a seat and keep quiet. I'm to happy and strong to be taken over like before. Even if it was temporary, I worry that it took me actually sitting down and writing this all out for me to see it for what it was. The holidays are emotionally a rough time for a lot of people, including myself. I kept thinking about all the people I wished were still here to spend thanksgiving with. Fact is they're gone, but I have two even more important people I am accountable to. Some day I hope I don't second guess the small stuff, I hope I instinctively know what to do. Acknowledging the real feelings of sadness I feel wasn't easy, but they left me before I knew it. I will be sure to spend some of my "down time" reading the boards in the next few days, it always reminds me how easily one can slip. Thanks again for your help, hope you are having a wonderful holiday beginning! You deserve it!
Unread 11-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Alene, how are you feeling today? I'm glad that it helped yesterday so you could at least move a little and shower!

I have faith that you made the decision that was right for you and your situation. You thought about it, put safeguards into place by asking someone to monitor you and it's something you've already put some thought into because there always a chance that something could happen and someone might need proper pain relief.

I hope that you could salvage some of your day yesterday and enjoy the company of your girls.

Let me know how you're feeling when you're up to it.

Nancy
Unread 12-10-2014, 05:22 PM   #7
amb128

Default Finally off

So I just wanted to let Nancy and anyone else who cares to know that I'm finally off the suboxone for good! I feel alright, my thoughts are not on pain pills and I'm confident about saying I won't be back on either the Sub. or pain pills again. Nancy, your never ending support and knowledge were so important to me. You are an amazing woman and I will never ever forget the help you gave me. I hope you are well and happy holidays!
Thank You (12-10-2014)
Unread 12-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #8
NancyB
Administrator

Alene!!!! Wow, so good to 'see' and to hear such fabulous news!

I'm confident you're going to be fine also. You're a very strong woman and I just know you're going to do this no problem. You got this!

Thank you for the compliments. You always were and still are a sweetheart. I hope you and your girls have a very merry Christmas and all my best for a happy and healthy 2015!

Thanks so much for letting me know!! Can you tell I'm excited? lol

Nancy