Addiction Survivors

Notices

Unread 09-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #1
soveryblessed

Question Is there a difference between generics?

I know this sounds a little kookoo, but I am on generic subutex and have been doing great. Taking 16mg a day. The pharmacy just changed manufacturers on me, though, from Roxane to Teva and it has thrown me for a loop. When on suboxone strips, I always had a very swollen face, tongue, and throat. Also under my tongue was erupted into raw ulcerations where the strip dissolved. It was horrible, painful, and very difficult to stay motivated for treatment because of it. Then, when I switched doctors and the new one said that it was an allergic reaction and switched me to the generic subutex, it cleared up within about 2 weeks and I have been doing great. Well, now with the Teva tablet I am experiencing the same swelling, rawness etc that I was on suboxone. It's not as severe, but still very painful. Has anyone else had that issue on either product? Seems that Teva's tablets are about $3 less per than the Roxane. My insurance covers the generic so I wouldn't have to pay any more if I have to request the Roxane... Just wondering.....(?)
soveryblessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
NancyB
Administrator

Hi kristi, different people have had different experiences with the generics. Some notice no difference at all while some prefer TEVA because they get better absorption from it and therefore need less. I wonder if you cut the pill into pieces and rinse your mouth out with warm water right before you take the medication if that will help.

If that doesn't help, then explain to the pharmacist what is happening and if you can get the Roxane since it was working better for you.

Keep us posted on what happens.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
One User Says Thank You to NancyB For This Useful Post:
Thank You (07-25-2013)
Unread 09-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
soveryblessed

Thanks as always, Nancy. There must be some chemical common to suboxone and Teva that is not in Roxane. This is no side effect, it's just too severe and too sudden. I only took the first dose of Teva this morning and wow, I could feel it starting as soon as the tablet hit the target. And now, 9 hours later, I have a low-grade temp, my face is so swollen that my eyes won't open all the way and oh oh oh the burning! Well, the oh oh oh part was a little dramatic, but it hurts. I took some benadryl hoping that will help and some ibuprofen. I don't see the doctor this week but I think I'll call him just to be sure. Hopefully he's not too busy facebooking or in a meeting with his architect lol. I will let you know. Pharmacy is a mom-n-pop so they will order the Roxane for me no problem.
kristi :l
Unread 09-30-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
soveryblessed

So this is what I found out: Suboxone has naloxone in it - so does Teva's product. Subutex does not and neither does Roxane's product. So I guess what it amounts to is that Teva is the generic for suboxone? and Roxane is the generic for subutex? I am extremely allergic to naloxone--had an allergic reaction to narcan once and they were able to counteract it with benadryl. That's why when the pharmacy switched manufacturers, I had the reaction I did! I now am waiting for the doctor/pharmacy/insurance company to hash out what can be done and (of course) I am without meds until they do...I am in so much pain and the swelling has not gone down much. Hope they hurry! Just thought you might like to know...:l
kristi
Unread 09-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
NancyB
Administrator

Hi kristi, I just called TEVA and they don't have a generic Suboxone, just Subutex. Also, this is from their site.
http://www.tevausa.com/default.aspx?pageid=76

They also have a "Report a Problem with a Medication" phone number, it might not hurt to call that and see if anyone else has had the problem:
http://www.tevausa.com/default.aspx?pageid=46

Report a Problem with a Medication 215.591.8659

Here's a link to a post with the ingredients for the TEVA, Hi-Tech, Roxane generics, along with the brandname Suboxone and Subutex:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...9&postcount=19

This is really curious now. Please keep us posted on what you find out.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 09-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
soveryblessed

Yes, so of course it is NOT the naloxone (although I have had an allergic reaction to suboxone and narcan. I am allergic to several weird things like flouride for example so it is not surprising that I reacted to something else. Doctor and pharmacist chatted, determined that likely Roxane has the offending ingredient in a much smaller amount than Teva, small enough so as to not cause a noticeable reaction. It certainly gets curiouser and curiouser. I did arrange for the switch to happen so as of tomorrow I'll be back on track. Wow. Weird. But ok now. Thanks Nancy
Unread 09-30-2011, 11:27 PM   #7
soveryblessed

ohmy! I surrendered my prescription this evening and picked up the Roxane. All's well til just now I was looking on the net drugs.com just to see if I could find out what the difference between the 2 is and --- you are not going to believe it. I saw the photo of the Teva pills and that is NOT what the pharmacy had given me. On a hunch I looked up Suboxone tablets (I had never seen them before I was on strips) and THAT IS WHAT THE PHARMACY HAD GIVEN ME!! Orange and 5 sided, right? and Teva is oval and white? Man I wish I had looked it up before because now I have no proof that they gave me the wrong thing. It wasn't the regular pharmacist I usually deal with Mom and Pop are oot and its someone filling in. I am sure no one will believe me without proof but sure enough that's why I swelled up like a balloon. Thank God I was able to talk the ins co into paying for it again so soon (of course it would have been way to early to refill as I had gotten 2 wks worth just Wed and had only taken today's dose). Yeah, so the bottle said the right thing but sure enough, wrong pills. I had even told them I was allergic to suboxone...and still ----wrong pills! Man, good thing I don't have anaphylactic shock reaction. Lucky for me its just I look like a Roseann Barr bobblehead figure and can't eat anything - fluids only til it starts to heal. I can't hardly move my tongue around and am talking with a lisp because its so swollen. My eyes are open a little wider now as the swelling goes down. I'm still taking benadryl 3 capsules every 6hrs per the doctor. Til probably Monday. So how about that? Maybe there isn't any difference between the 2, but for now I'll stick with what I know works - Roxane. Since my ins co covers both even though Teva is cheaper my co-pay is still $40. And I had to go to a different pharmacy to get it so maybe I'll just stick with them. Mom & Pop might not want to deal with me anymore after I finish yelling about what happened ... So I'm sorta ok I guess...alive and on the road again :P
kristie
Unread 10-01-2011, 07:34 AM   #8
NancyB
Administrator

OMG kristie! I can't believe they made that mistake, especially when you told them you were allergic to Suboxone. But I'm glad you figured that out just in case something happens and the Roxane isn't available for one reason or another you'll know the TEVA should be ok.

Ask them to do an inventory - that should enable them to see what you're saying is true.

I hope you start feeling better soon. Yikes!

Nancy
Unread 12-08-2011, 11:11 PM   #9
Jack123

Wow is right, Kristie. This is like a horror story. Lately I've been looking up more and more of the meds I take. After hearing this, I should look every one up.

But at least you made the situation right, and everything finally made sense. I do wish you had gotten the real Teva. I find a world of difference between Teva and the Roxane. I can't even take Roxane. They don't work for me. And they make me worse. I must have Teva, and suddenly Teva has become scarce. I'm worried. I also had a bad reaction to Suboxone. I'm very worried.

It's very nice of Teva to have a problem, complaint, telephone number. Does Roxane have such a number? Nancy do you know? I hope. If Teva becomes unavailable, and with NB Subutex also unavailable, I'd be better off dead. I don't know what I'll do. I'd like to complain to Roxane. And I now know several other people who can only take Teva. It's not just me.

Thanks
Jack123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #10
NancyB
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack123 View Post
It's very nice of Teva to have a problem, complaint, telephone number. Does Roxane have such a number? Nancy do you know?

Hi Jack, here's the Roxanne Labs website, there's a contact link at the top.

http://www.roxane.com/

Nancy
Unread 12-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #11
Gingerpop

Default Just switched to generic Sub

I don't know whether this is my own head playing games or real. I just started taking generic bupe. I had been on the Subutex brand for years, now in the last part of my taper I've been told that pharmacies will no longer be carrying the originakl brand (very expensive as you all well know).

I feel the generic is weaker than the brand. I know it all had to be testd to get FDA approval, but I feel like I am in slight withdrawal, and it's bothering me a lot.

I am considering hypnosis. Has anyone else felt that generics were weaker? Has anyone tried hypnosis? If you have some experience strength and hope to share I am all ears.

Best,
Ginger
Gingerpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #12
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Ginger, there are some people who find that they need more of the generics than the brand name Subutex. Think about trying these tips to see if you can get better absorption.
From: http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=21609

• Tips for taking Suboxone.
-No caffeine or nicotine for at least 30 minutes before taking your Suboxone – both may constrict the blood vessels that the medication is absorbed through.
-Right before taking it, rinse your mouth out with as warm water as possible – this may dilate the blood vessels for better absorption.

Let us know if that helps.

Nancy
Unread 12-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #13
Jack123

Hi Ginger,

I'm a little confused. Do you mean you were taking the Name Brand Subutex, or you were taking Suboxone? Is what you were taking a white oval pill, or an orange pill with 6 sides?

And is the pill you take now white and round, or is white and oval, but with different markings on it from the Name Brand?

My guess is you're taking the white round pill. There is actually more than 1 generic Subutex. I heard a rumor there is a 3rd company that is supposed to be making Subutex called Hy-tec or Hy-Teck or something like that? I don't know if this is true?

I have taken most of the other brands of Subutex. I also thought the Name Brand pill was stronger, but it goes way beyond just strength. The different versions of Subutex have quite a few differences. I can't take the round one at all, it doesn't work on me. It caused a ton of anxiety, and my current Sub doc is refusing to treat me for anxiety. He will give maybe 10 tabs of Ativan or Klonopin. With the amount of anxiety the round Subutex causes that wasn't enough for 2 weeks, never mind 1 month. The round Subutex also caused me to have cravings. I don't think I was craving Percs or Vicodin or anything like that. I felt like I was craving more Subutex. But the more I took the worse I felt. I also used to get a slight energy boost with Name Brand and I don't get that with generics. Similar to the energy boost is Name Brand kept me awake all night if I took more than 6 mg in 1 day or if I took any past 6 PM. With the generics I get sleepy from the least little bit of too much, and I can't sleep at night if I don't take some before bed. That's very strange. And I also need more. When I took Name Brand 4 - 8 mg a day was plenty, and with the generics I always need more than 8 mg and usually 12 mg a day.

I have been on Sub since the Summer of 2004 and then I was off it all of 2010. I went back on it in April of 2011. At first I too wondered if these differences were real or my imagination. But not any more. This is now 9 months I'm back on it and I have no doubt these differences are real. The problem is I can't make anything be done about. Many people still refuse to believe me. As if I have a vested interest in which brands I take. I wouldn't care. But when you know how a drug is supposed to effect you because you took it 5 years, and now the new brands don't do what the brand for 5 years did, and now after 9 months of this, I know it's real.

But thank you for posting this Ginger. It's good when someone else confirms my results.

Jack
Unread 12-26-2011, 09:56 PM   #14
soveryblessed

Lightbulb

Hi, Ginger. You may have read the above (my nightmare about generic subs). I don't know if I'm subconsciously suspicious but I always think that a-n-y generic of ANYthing is weaker than the name brand. Even like Advil is better than Walgreen's brand ibuprofen. And I think Hershey's syrup is better than "Best Choice". Recently to save a few bucks I got a generic albuterol inhaler for my asthma and I didn't think it was AS effective as the brand. You're right they do have to go thru testing but they can't be identical in every way can they...I mean the active ingredient must be more cheaply made or somehow be slightly inferior or else why would it cost less, really? So my conclusion is that there IS a difference, just the FDA or USDA or whatever lets it be up to a certain % lower grade and no more, and that is why we patients who are taking a drug we are dependent on do notice a difference. If it was something you don't take all the time (like cold medicine) then the difference isn't important. IMHO. Hope you are having a good holiday.
kristi
Unread 12-26-2011, 10:57 PM   #15
Jack123

Lightbulb

Hi Kristi,

IMHO you're mostly right. Back in 1990's I read that a generic drug has to come within plus or minus 15% of the specifications of a brand name drug. But that 15% is not supposed to effect the actual potency of the drug, or how it effects the patient. Further, the main reason for the cheaper price is supposed to be because when you buy a Name Brand you're paying for the reputation of that name, it's not supposed to be because the name brand drug is of a higher quality. I also agree that when you don't take a drug everyday, you're not likely to notice a difference. However, this issue, like most things should have certain limits. For example a popular high blood pressure med was raising people's blood pressure rather than lowering it. Once this was proven the company had to recall all the effected pills. In fact meds are being recalled every week. But this problem with generic Subutex is being ignored and denied.

As I told Ginger above, I have taken almost every brand of Subutex there ever was. The round generic Subutex are so different from the Name Brand that they should be recalled. In my opinion. One of the main things Sub is supposed to do is stop cravings for all opiates. I assume that means to itself also. In 5 years of taking NB Subutex I never craved more of it, nor did I ever feel any withdrawal symptoms at all. In fact I forgot what opiate withdrawal even felt like. That's how good of a drug real properly made Buprenorphine is. Many people have called it a wonder drug, and I agree. When made correctly Buprenorphine is a very wondrous drug. Not only does it stop cravings for all opiates, including itself, but no tolerance ever forms, it gives a boost of energy, helps make depression in certain people go away, and it allows you to taper off it slowly and easily compared to any other opiate. I even found that NB Subutex lowered my anxiety levels to the point of where I very rarely needed a Benzo for anxiety. Neither of the 2 generics I have taken do all this, but one of them comes closer than the other. I really think if this was a high blood pressure med we're talking about something would have been done about this by now. But nothing is being done except that now Name Brand Subutex doesn't exist anymore. This means now we can't prove this point any longer. The proof has been eliminated. Now people who are new to Subutex can't even take properly made Buprenorphine to see the difference. How does this makes sense?

But I'm with both of you, Kristi and Ginger. The Name Brand was different and better. It's not our imaginations, it's a fact.
Unread 12-27-2011, 04:53 PM   #16
soveryblessed

And see, now Jack you make me wonder. I take the round (Roxane) subutex. Other than suboxone strips (BAD experience--allergic to naloxone)and suboxone tablets(BAD experience as described above) it's the only one I have taken. I am on 16mg a day---when I took 8mg of suboxone besides the allergic swelling etc I felt like I was really drunk. So I wonder if that was because I really only need like 4mg a day of buprenorphine and because the Roxane is so "weak" I have to take 16mg. In my situation, with it being covered by insurance I only pay $40 copay (and insurance would not pay for a name brand anyway) but for people who pay full price are they having to pay more than they should have to because the medication is not the quality it should be? That p's me off! I'd be really interested in knowing 1, Why is the brand name not being made anymore 2. Really truly what is the difference chemically (we know what it is anecdotally!) 3. Is any other manufacturer going to join in and give us another alternative?
I think until enough doctors get licensed to prescribe buprenorphine for addiction and studies can be done to prove what we already know is true, nothing will change. It's sad that addicts even in remission from addiction and recovering are not taken seriously by the medical community.
I'm so grateful that we have a place we can discuss these issues instead of sitting home wondering if we're just crazy... It would be interesting to hear what Nancy and Tim have to say...Happy New Year
:],
kristi
Unread 12-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #17
NancyB
Administrator

Hi kristi, here's a link to Reckitt Benckiser's announcement of why they discontinued Subutex:
http://buprenorphine.samhsa.gov/Subu...ion9-16-11.pdf

Even though they don't mention it, I would venture to guess that the less expensive generics had something to do with it also.

I had posted this before, but here it is again in one place.
There are three manufacturers of generic -tex

Hi-Tech
http://www.hitechpharm.com/products/..._(0930-93).pdf

Buprenorphine HCl sublingual tablet is an uncoated round white tablet intended for sublingual administration. It is available in two dosage strengths, 2 mg buprenorphine and 8 mg buprenorphine free base. Each tablet also contains citric acid, cornstarch, lactose monohydrate, mannitol, povidone K30, sodium citrate anhydrous and sodium stearyl fumarate. The strengths are clearly marked on the tablets.

Roxane
http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed...o.cfm?id=11876

Buprenorphine HCl Sublingual Tablets are white tablets intended for sublingual administration. They are available in two dosage strengths, 2 mg buprenorphine and 8 mg buprenorphine free base. Each tablet also contains anhydrous citric acid, corn starch, crospovidone, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, mannitol, povidone, and sodium citrate.

TEVA
http://www.tevausa.com/assets/base/p...orphine_PI.pdf

And the ingredients are:
Buprenorphine hydrochloride sublingual tablets are uncoated, oval, white tablets intended for sublingual administration. They are available in two dosage strengths, 2 mg buprenorphine and 8 mg buprenorphine free base. Each tablet also contains the following inactive ingredients: anhydrous citric acid, corn starch, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, mannitol, povidone and sodium citrate.

It looks like the differences are as follows:

Roxane has crospovidone but neither TEVA or Hi-Tech do
Hi-Tech has sodium stearyl fumarate but neither TEVA or Roxane do.
Roxane and TEVA have magnesium stearate but Hi-Tech doesn't

There are people who like Roxane better than TEVA; TEVA better than Roxane; Hi-Tech better than both. And there have been some who notice no difference between them.

Maybe that crospovidone that's in the Roxane but not the others has something to do with absorption or lack of absorption. It's hard to say.

This is from:
http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesFo.../ucm167991.htm

MYTH: FDA lets generic drugs differ from the brand name counterpart by up to 45 percent.

FACT: This claim is false. Anyone who repeats this myth does not understand how FDA reviews and approves generic drugs.

FDA recently evaluated 2,070 human studies conducted between 1996 and 2007. These studies compared the absorption of brand name and generic drugs into a person’s body. These studies were submitted to FDA to support approval of generics. The average difference in absorption into the body between the generic and the brand name was only 3.5 percent [Davit et al. Comparing generic and innovator drugs: a review of 12 years of bioequivalence data from the United States Food and Drug Administration. Ann Pharmacother. 2009;43(10):1583-97]. Some generics were absorbed slightly more, some slightly less. This amount of difference would be expected and acceptable, whether for one batch of brand name drug tested against another batch of the same brand, or for a generic tested against a brand name. In fact, there have been studies in which branded drugs were compared with themselves as well as with a generic. As a rule, the difference for the generic-to-brand comparison was about the same as the brand-to-brand comparison.

Any generic drug modeled after a single, brand name drug (the reference) must perform approximately the same in the body as the brand name drug. There will always be a slight, but not medically important, level of natural variability – just as there is for one batch of brand name drug to the next.

I haven't heard of any more generic companies coming out with another generic -tex.

You could ask your pharmacist to see if you could get either the Hi-Tech or TEVA if you wanted to see if there's any difference, but since your co-pay would be the same, maybe just stick with the Roxane since it's working for you, even though it's 16mg, you won't have to mess around if there is a difference for you between Roxane and another generic.

Hope that helps! Happy new year to you too!

Nancy
Unread 12-27-2011, 08:07 PM   #18
Jack123

Hi Kristi,

I'm glad I made you wonder. I wish everyone do more wondering about all this. Maybe we'd get some real answers. There really shouldn't be this much of a difference between 1 brand and another. I take quite a few different drugs, almost daily, for a variety of disorders and very few have such a difference. One is Wellbutrin. Recently my pharmacy started getting Watson Brand Wellbutrin 150 SR and these are different from whatever the previous brand was. I never checked it. I once took name brand Wellbutrin and the very first generics were identical as far as I could tell. The next brand was so poorly made that I stopped taking them. The Watson Wellbutrin seem like what I remember the Name Brand to be. I also had a generic Zantac that caused me to have much greater stomach pains than I have without them. I threw them away and never checked who made them. Other than this the only other problems I've had with generics was trying to digest them. Very often generic drugs cause stomach pains where as the Name Brands didn't. Except for the Wellbutrin, these other examples are not the same as with Subutex. I do not claim to know why this is, nor do I claim to have the background in chemistry to even begin to know why. All I know is how they effect me.

I also had pretty much the same reaction to Suboxone that you had Kristi. Back when I took it there was only tablets. My feet, ankles and lower legs swelled up to the point that even my docs were alarmed by it. But none of them would even venture a guess as to why or where it came from. It was then by accident that I needed emergency surgery and had to be on MsContin for almost a month. When it was time to stop the MsContin I was given Subutex to induct me back onto Sub (only Name Brand existed back then). I didn't notice any swelling and I felt better than I did with Suboxone, and so we decided to keep me on Subutex. I was then very fine for the next 5 years. Roxane Subutex came out next, and I knew it wasn't right. I didn't finish the NB when I received the Roxane Tex. I kept comparing them and I just did not feel right with the Roxane. I then had to be taken off Subutex due to extreme back pains. About 15 months later I came back to Subutex and was given Roxane brand and it was like a nightmare. It was so bad I paid for 2 weeks of the NB. I was much better with them. Just like I remembered the 5 years to be. I now take Teva but they are increasingly harder to get. This has me greatly worried. I still think all of this doesn't make sense.

Nancy I thank you for the links and for confirming that there is a 3rd brand and what the name is. Now it's no longer a rumor. If my pharmacy happens to get them in I will ask to try 1 or 2. I really won't need more than that to see if they are similar to Roxane or Teva. If I ever try them I will come back and let you know. But I will be content if I can walk into my pharmacy each month and get Teva brand. I'll even be happy if he can get me the 2 mg tabs every month. Currently I'm fortunate he got me the 8 mg tabs. The strength of the tabs doesn't matter in terms of how they work in me. It's just much more convenient if I can have the 2 mg tabs. But it isn't a critical issue. So thanks again.

I wish you all a safe and happy New Year.

Jack
Unread 01-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #19
soveryblessed

Hi, Jack. If you have a Walgreen's near you I know they only dispense Teva brand and don't have the option of ordering elsewhere. Maybe when they switched from Roxane in October that created a temporary (hopefully) shortage. I have asked my mom/pop pharmacy to order the Hi-Tech so I can try it. I am going to start tapering within the next couple of months (I'm so excited about this...but the plan is to take it reallllly slow) and the Roxane is so crumbly and I have read the Hi-Tech splits well. They have other patients who are on -tex so if it doesn't work for me maybe someone else will benefit. I'll report my findings here. Nancy said the naloxone causes all kinds of crazy side-effects in people -- but according to my doctor mine was a real allergy. The worst part wasn't the swelling (bobble-head, hands and feet) it was the inside of my mouth being completely raw and covered with ulcerations. That took a month to completely go away after only one dose. I had the major swelling the one and only time I was given narcan. At the time, of course, it saved my life but the swelling lingered a few days. Small price to pay for getting a 2nd chance. I digress. I still think that name brands of most things is better than off-brands. In food, medicines, even (obviously) clothes. So maybe the psychological has something to do with it. My son the biologist certainly thinks so.
Just curious why you say it doesn't matter how they work in you the 2mg and 8mg. Do you mean like you take 4 of the 2mg or 1 of the 8 and it's the same? Or you split the 8mg in half or take 2-2mg? Is the Teva easy to split? If so maybe if I got hold of the *correct* Teva that would be the best for me to start trying to taper?
Happy New Year Jack! My family made resolutions all around - even my 5 year old grandson was inspired that his parents have quit smoking (so far so good) and he said his "revolations" are to stop leaving his sweaters/jacket at school and to not lie when you don't have to . I like that! I quit smoking last year but maybe there's room for improvement somewhere...lol.
kristi
Unread 01-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #20
stp747

I get Roxane brand bup. from the Walgreens I go to. Steve
stp747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 12:24 AM   #21
soveryblessed

I talked to the home office for Walgreens in October when our local one switched and they told me it was national. Figures they gave me bad info - don't get me started again on how much I despise them. I'm glad you can get the product you need, Steve ... :]
kristi
Unread 01-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #22
NancyB
Administrator

Jack, you might be interested in this article:

http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=27201

Nancy
Unread 04-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #23
soveryblessed

So this is interesting: I had to get my Rx at Walgreen's this month. They dispensed Teva - the real Teva (not suboxone tablets by mistake). Funny true story I picked up the prescription and got home and actually took a dose before I looked at the bottle and saw that they dispensed 2mg tablets not the 8mg tablets that the dr had ordered so I had to return to the pharmacy and get the correct prescription which is why I despise Walgreens. I digress. I took the correct dose of the Teva and it was too much! I felt kinda nauseated and not high but just like overwhelmed. So I was able to cut my dose down by 1/3 because with the Teva thats all I need. Just if you were interested in my experience it's that the Roxane is not as "quality" as the Teva. Apparently there is something to what Jack was saying.
Haven't posted in awhile because things are going great!!! My youngest son and his wife and 6month old baby are back living with us while he waits to go to basic training for the Navy. I'm babysitting while they are at work so it's hard to get anything personal done. Addiction wise I'm reallllly doing well. I take my dose in the morning and I don't think about it again at all. I don't think at all about my doc - some days I even forget that I was ever addicted. I couldn't ask for a better life :] Hope you are doing well, Nancy Tim and everyone...
Unread 04-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #24
anabolic1979

absolutely!!! roxanne are low quality garbage imo... but all the pharmacies carry it! its crazy around here in rhode island when u ask about teva brand they kinda ignore you and act like your bothering them because pharmacists always tell ya there all the same.. im determined to get teva this next script next week if i have to call 100 pharmacies or even find one that can order it for me! i cant take it anymore!!!!! i want TEVAAAAAAAA
anabolic1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #25
football50

What is the generic version of suboxone ?
football50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #26
NancyB
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by football50 View Post
What is the generic version of suboxone ?
Hi football50, as of now, there isn't a generic for Suboxone (buprenorphine and naloxone) only for Subutex (buprenorphine). Reckitt Benckiser (manufacturere of Suboxone) disconintued the brand name Subutex in the beginning of the year.

We keep hearing rumors that there will be a generic Suboxone, but nothing specific yet.

Nancy
Unread 07-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #27
SubGirl007

Red face Newbie member...with Roxane problems (Hi!)

Hello everyone! I'm not sure if anyone is still on this thread... but you are, I've found it very helpful. I've been a friendly "lurker" on this site for the past month but became a friendly member today because I'm having so many problems with my Roxane script that I'm about to just throw in the towel and want to quit my whole subutex treatment.

Before I go further, I just wanted to thank Nancy as it appears she's helping us "addiction survivors" everywhere in these forums! But it's everyone's postings and feedback that I joined for, and am here today for, because I feel like I'm dopesick again (!) and I'm not sure what to do.

By brief way of intro, I have a looong history of addiction, but am finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel this year. (Yeah!!) I'll write my addiction version of a drunkologue (whatever that is called) later, but first... I went on subutex 5 or so weeks ago after a 6 month binge on Vicodin and oxy's for pain. I'm on 12 mg. So I really knew nothing about Subutex or the generics going into this, or anything about side-effects, etc.

The first script I got were the Hi-Teks. Oh man, life got great! I also suffer from depression, and both my depression AND my pain were instantly relieved! I was walking on sunshine! I was feeling better than I had in years. Did NOT expect this, or did not know what to expect, for that matter.

So then I pick up the rest of my pills from my script, and this time I get Roxane bc that's what the pharmacy has now. Suddenly all that good feeling goes away, I'm not sure why. Then I get a new doc who says I should be dosing twice a day, but I can't do it, I'm feeling sick by noon! So now I've been feeling very sick, and I got my monthly refill, Roxane again, and I guess I have to blame it on the manufacturer? My doc and the pharmacist insists that that shouldn't be the problem. If not, then what else? Im really not sure what to do I do at this juncture? I put in a call to my doc this afternoon so we'll see what he says, but..well, hmm ;-) I'm afraid of his "shouldn't be the generic" answer when I know in my heart I'm doing everything 100% right.
SubGirl007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 10:06 PM   #28
NancyB
Administrator

Hi SubGirl007, welcome, glad you decided to join in.

Here's a link to a post where I listed the ingredients for the generics.http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...9&postcount=19

From that: "So it looks like the only difference between Roxane and TEVA is that Roxane has crospovidone, another binder."

What's interesting is that the crospovidone is in one of the generic Suboxone tablets and some people are finding that those don't work as well at the brandname Suboxone tablets did.

Have you tried the Suboxone film at all? Unfortunately, it's a lot more expensive than the generic Subutex is. But there is a free med program:
http://www.needymeds.org/drug_list.t...&name=Suboxone

Also, here are some tips to try to get the best absorption that might be helpful:

-No caffeine or nicotine for at least 30 minutes before taking your Suboxone – both may constrict the blood vessels that the medication is absorbed through.
-Right before taking it, rinse your mouth out with as warm water as possible – this may dilate the blood vessels for better absorption.

It's kind of a hit or miss thing with with the Roxane. Some people do notice a difference and others don't. But it happens much more with Roxane than either HiTech or TEVA, so it really does make me wonder if some people are sensitive to that ingredient that's only in the Roxane brand.

Let us know what your doctor says. Again, welcome!

Nancy