Addiction Survivors

Unread 12-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
Bob B

Default any replies would be great

have been doing percs for 10 years,it got to a point where I was doing 30-40 mg per day.I am on my 2nd day of subs and so far so good. I just wanted to share my thoughts and prayers to everyone out there. My friend gave me 10 8mg of subs and i took one the first and 2nd day. I would like to tamper down starting tomorrow by taking 1 4mg in the morning and close this part of my life and go on and live again. Any replies would be great.
Bob B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
Mike

Hi Bob B,
Welcome to the site! I know when we decide to get treatment we just want to be done with it and put it behind us, some people can/do. But most people, like me, discover that a short treatment isn't enough time to undo all of the brain changes that happened over years of addiction. I tried a 30 day sub detox and found after the drugs were gone, the brain changes that were left were causing depression and mild withdrawal that just wouldn't go away. No matter what I did I couldn't feel right, the way I did before addiction. I later learned that those feeling I was having was expected and the result of my brain adapting to years of addiction, it got so used to opiates being there it didn't remember how to make natural ones to make me feel normal. I found it took months (or 3 years in my case) to slowly undo these brain changes so I could feel normal without the medication.

I'm not trying to discourage you, maybe you are one of the few that can do a short treatment and be fine, hopefully!! but if afterwards you still don't feel right and you think relapse is inevitable, then find a doctor and get on a longer plan. It took time for us to become addicted and it takes time to undo these brain changes. Good luck!
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 05:21 PM   #3
Bob B

Mike
thank you, I am just a little scared. But I am going beat this. I have to much to lose a beautiful family and I need to be strong. I just want to feel normal again
Unread 12-09-2008, 05:30 PM   #4
Mike

I know exactly how you feel, stretch the sub out as much as possible and you will minimize the withdrawal. I'd try and skip tomorrow's dose then Thursday see if just 2mgs will work, it might. The longer you can stretch out the taper the better it will be.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 08:39 PM   #5
postman

Hey Bob...I'm right there with you. I'm only five days on Suboxone. But I feel great. When it is all said and done...I will have only taken about 8 8mg tablets. I agree with Mike...try to stretch out your pills. 30 to 40 mg of oxycodone per day is pretty slight compared to some of us. I was at 100mg per day...but for only about a year. I would think that you shouldn't require a lot of Suboxone...probably 2mg per day...but no more than 4mg per day. Crazy as it sounds, a lot of the veterans around here say that it can get more difficult as you start getting under 2mg. Whatever you do, good luck to you.
postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2008, 08:49 AM   #6
Bob B

Thank you, for your reply. I hope all is well with you. Today is my 3rd day on and i just had a 4mg sub,I should drop it to 2 mg tomorrow,see how that works. So far I am doing good but I can not sleep.
God Bless

Last edited by Bob B; 12-10-2008 at 08:52 AM..
Unread 12-10-2008, 09:08 AM   #7
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Bob B, When did you take your Suboxone yesterday? For some, taking it noon or later disrupts their sleep, so they take it in the morning.

Some OTC (over-the-counter) things you might for sleep are benedryl, melatonin, valerian root, and Sleepy Time (chamomile) tea.

Keep us posted on how you're doing!

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2008, 09:33 AM   #8
Bob B

Nancy
I take it 8 am ,I am shameful to say I did not go to the doctors, I had friend who new have used subs and suggested I try them. He gave me 10 8mg tabs. My history was taking 20 to 40mg of percs a day. 2 days ago I took a 8mg sub,felt great and then yesterday another 8mg.Since then I have discover this Forum and learned alot about subs.I dropped down to 4mg this morning because I think 8mg was to high a dose for me. I would like to drop to 2mg tomorrow and the 1 mg the next and so to where i am down to 0mg. What are thoughts about this
thank you so much everyone here are great and I will always be here for people as this is a life support site for me.
thank you
Bob
Unread 12-10-2008, 09:43 AM   #9
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Bob, just make sure you have a back-up plan and a support system for when you stop. It's always good to have options.

You were taking a relatively low dose of percocets, so 8mg may have been a lot more than you needed to start. You might think about even skipping a day, because the half life is so long, you might not even notice a difference, then take as small an amount to stop any discomfort you encounter. That might even be as as low as 1 or 2mg.

Keep writing down what you take and how you feel, it'll be a good guide to your taper.

I hope that helps.
Glad you found us.

Nancy
Important disclaimer: Any information in this post is not and does not constitute medical advice under any circumstances. Addiction Survivors, Inc. does not warranty or guarantee the accurateness, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to the Site. Your use of information on the Site or materials linked to the Site is entirely at your own risk. NEVER take any online advice over that of a qualified healthcare provider. Any information contained on AddictionSurvivors.org should only serve to inspire further investigation with credible, verifiable references sources such as your physician or therapist.
Unread 12-10-2008, 09:48 AM   #10
Bob B

Nancy
I am going to skip tomorrows dose and keep you posted and see how I feel
thanks for being there
Bob
Unread 12-10-2008, 01:18 PM   #11
Mary

Hey Bob, slow it down and take as little as you need to not be sick. You can skip days in between too. Big tapering beams! -Mary
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #12
theswan

Hi Bob

I'm on a lot slower taper. I had been on opiates for several years with 2,3,4 year breaks but always seemed to come back due to pain increases and stress.
I am now coming off a horrrific 3 year dependance on over a 100mg of percocets (when I could get them) and other narcotics hydrocodone for one.

Since March I have been on 16mg of suboxone from a clinical trial as a pain medication for those who take more then perscribed amounts of pain meds.
I just a few days ago went to 14mg and it is an easy drop. I plan 2mg drop next month and so on...

I wish you luck and hope the WD does not cause depression etc. If it does their are AD med's plus herbs, talk therapy and so on. The brain will get well but it takes time. I stopped CT before and went 3years or so without and felt good after a couple of months. One day it was like the "wool taken from my eyes!" I just felt great!

Sadly my pain and depression were not treated and I choose to take narcotics again-actually it was not so much a choice as it was a need.

So hang in there if it gets tough just know that it too shall pass-go on a 24hour plan which can become a minute to minute plan-just hang in until the pain pass's.

Peace be with you

Glen
theswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2008, 10:12 AM   #13
Bob B

Mary
I am going to slow it down to a 2mg and take 1 day at a time and see how I feel
thank you for your support
Bob
Unread 12-11-2008, 10:14 AM   #14
Bob B

Glen
I am going to listen, and take it 1 day at a time. I took 2mg this morning and will try to taper down slowley.
thank you and god bless
bob
Unread 12-11-2008, 10:17 AM   #15
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Bob, Thanks for the update. Hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Keep us posted when you can.

Nancy
Unread 12-11-2008, 10:21 AM   #16
Bob B

Hi Nancy
I dropped down to 2mg this morning and will take it from there, do you have any ideas on how to taper down from my 1st 2mg this morning
thanks
bob
Unread 12-11-2008, 01:19 PM   #17
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Bob, see how it goes today for you at 2mg. and go from there. You still have Suboxone working that you've taken for a few days, so you don't want to really rush it until you can see where you are.

Keep in touch.

Nancy
Unread 12-13-2008, 02:37 PM   #18
theswan

Hi Bob

Just posting to see how you are. I hope you still have enough for a taper. I used the "Doctor/Patient matching feature" Here and got a wonderful doctor who was willing to take my workers comp. Believe me, this doctor does not need the little bit of money workers comp pays-He has a good heart and believs in Suboxone treatment.

It would not hurt to try. You are not bound by any choice. just be aware this feature requires you to log on to that feature after doctors names have been sent. Otherwise they think you were "matched"

Hang in Bob!

Glen
Unread 12-13-2008, 04:25 PM   #19
Done

Hello Bob

How are you doing today?

I think that Glen has a great idea, try and get matched up with a Dr....it may take a week or two...........(just incase you need it)

I really dont have any other advice to add...except maybe add some exercise into your day....it will help get the endorphines moving.

Good Luck..Stay in touch...
Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2008, 04:27 PM   #20
theswan

"Hey Bob!"

Hi just wondering how the taper was going. People can drop off the radar so I was a little concerned about how it is going.

In my twelve-step fellowship, Ive seen so darn many people come and go and sadly most "go" Sure some come back maybe even many.The sad fact for us left behind is it leaves a small void. If I were to go back to school, I'd write a paper on the effects of such loss on members of twelve-step programs. My old group would travel many miles to take outgoing speaking committments. On these rides we often discuss-"Remember so and so...." We would talk about this and that about the person. Some of the guys I really got to like. It is a sad fact that we as they say have to "Walk over bodies"

Many do get well in Church or other places but the fact remains that we don't know what happened to most "Dropouts"

So anyway, Bob you may be a busy guy and I apologize if I'm being too worried.

God Bless

Glen
Unread 12-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #21
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Glen, Bob posted a new thread here:
http://www.addictionsurvivors.org/vb...ad.php?t=20424

saying he's doing well 3 days off.

Nancy
Unread 12-15-2008, 09:40 PM   #22
theswan

Thanks Nancy

Smiles to you!

Glen
One User Says Thank You to theswan For This Useful Post:
Thank You (07-06-2012)