Addiction Survivors

Unread 11-12-2006, 02:00 PM   #1
Basil

Default 1st appt just talking or do you start suboxone

I was wondering how the 1st appt with the doctor works. Is the 1st appt usually just talking and the 2nd appt where they start you on the suboxone? I am so new to this, I just found out 2 weeks ago there was such a drug you could take out patient and it helps with withdrawals. I will start calling tomorrow to find doctor's with available appts.

Thank you!
Basil
Basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 02:10 PM   #2
snipes

Basil,
I think you always start on the 1st appointment. You usually start the 1st appointment and then shortly after (maybe 3-7 days) you have your 2nd appointment to make sure everything is going good and to settle on your dose. I hope this helps.... Im looking forward to hearing about how everything works out for you!

-Tim
snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 02:10 PM   #3
snipes

Basil,
I think you always start on the 1st appointment. You usually start the 1st appointment and then shortly after (maybe 3-7 days) you have your 2nd appointment to make sure everything is going good and to settle on your dose. I hope this helps.... Im looking forward to hearing about how everything works out for you!

-Tim
Unread 11-12-2006, 02:15 PM   #4
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Basil, Every doctor is different. Some ask you to come for an 'intake', where you'll do all the necessary paperwork, talk with the doctor, etc. Others will ask you to come to the appointment in withdrawals and start right away. Others may do an 'intake' over the phone.
That's another good question to ask when you find a doctor with openings.

Another thing you might want to try in the meantime is our Patient/Physician Matching System. You can register by answering some questions and provide only a valid email address. The doctors registered on our system will be alerted that there is someone seeking treatment in their area. If they have an opening, they will email you through our system (they never find out your email address) with instructions to call their office to set up an appointment or whatever message they have.

https://www.naabt.org/patient_doctor/splash.cfm
The purple button.
It might be worth a try to see if you get emails before you start calling.
Good luck and let us know how you do.
Nancy
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 02:15 PM   #5
NancyB
Administrator

Hi Basil, Every doctor is different. Some ask you to come for an 'intake', where you'll do all the necessary paperwork, talk with the doctor, etc. Others will ask you to come to the appointment in withdrawals and start right away. Others may do an 'intake' over the phone.
That's another good question to ask when you find a doctor with openings.

Another thing you might want to try in the meantime is our Patient/Physician Matching System. You can register by answering some questions and provide only a valid email address. The doctors registered on our system will be alerted that there is someone seeking treatment in their area. If they have an opening, they will email you through our system (they never find out your email address) with instructions to call their office to set up an appointment or whatever message they have.

https://www.naabt.org/patient_doctor/splash.cfm
The purple button.
It might be worth a try to see if you get emails before you start calling.
Good luck and let us know how you do.
Nancy
NancyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 02:20 PM   #6
snipes

Basil,
Your best bet is to ask right over the phone if you will be starting suboxone the day of your 1st appointment. You will want to know ahead of time anyway. I asked my doctor right over the phone if I would be starting the suboxone that day... and he assured me that I would.

-Tim
Unread 11-12-2006, 02:20 PM   #7
snipes

Basil,
Your best bet is to ask right over the phone if you will be starting suboxone the day of your 1st appointment. You will want to know ahead of time anyway. I asked my doctor right over the phone if I would be starting the suboxone that day... and he assured me that I would.

-Tim
Unread 11-12-2006, 02:21 PM   #8
kirk

not for helping with withdrawls....replacement therapy. you'll have no withdrawls most likely; but its an opportunity to break a cycle before it breaks you(anymore than it already has). many variables but your first contact/visit will be a consultation. most(?) doctors want to at least insure that you're opiate tolerant before writing something as strong as suboxone/subutex. the money thing will have to be addressed, probably first. don't take a step like this lightly. if your addiction can be controlled or ended through any other means than substitution, try that route.in this era where deceit is commonplace if not accepted, i wouldn't be surprised if you find a doctor that would let you do a one stop shopping gig pre-arranged via phone; but educate yourself,please.
kirk
kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2006, 02:21 PM   #9
kirk

not for helping with withdrawls....replacement therapy. you'll have no withdrawls most likely; but its an opportunity to break a cycle before it breaks you(anymore than it already has). many variables but your first contact/visit will be a consultation. most(?) doctors want to at least insure that you're opiate tolerant before writing something as strong as suboxone/subutex. the money thing will have to be addressed, probably first. don't take a step like this lightly. if your addiction can be controlled or ended through any other means than substitution, try that route.in this era where deceit is commonplace if not accepted, i wouldn't be surprised if you find a doctor that would let you do a one stop shopping gig pre-arranged via phone; but educate yourself,please.
kirk
kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2006, 12:31 AM   #10
SpAcEdGeD

When i started on sub I went the 1st day for induction and they gave me a dose rite there in the office and gave me another pill to take later. I had to go back the next day for a follow up and was Rx'd 2 pills and i was to return to the doctors office the next day. On the 3rd day they gave me a rx for one week. After a few months of going every week I was able to start going ever other week. I'm sure every doctor has their own way of doing things. This was just an example of how my doctor did my Induction into suboxone thereapy
SpAcEdGeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2006, 12:31 AM   #11
SpAcEdGeD

When i started on sub I went the 1st day for induction and they gave me a dose rite there in the office and gave me another pill to take later. I had to go back the next day for a follow up and was Rx'd 2 pills and i was to return to the doctors office the next day. On the 3rd day they gave me a rx for one week. After a few months of going every week I was able to start going ever other week. I'm sure every doctor has their own way of doing things. This was just an example of how my doctor did my Induction into suboxone thereapy
Unread 11-13-2006, 12:41 AM   #12
Basil

Thank you to all that responded!

I know I will have withdrawals because I have already gone through it twice when I ran out of meds. One time I went 3 days with no meds at all b/c it was a holiday weekend and I was in big time withdrawals. My husband thought I was having seizures b/c I was shaking all night in the bed. It was the worst experience of my life. I have been on pain meds daily, without missing one day,except when I ran out, for 16 months straight. I know exactly what will happen if I suddenly stop pain meds, it won't be pretty

Thanks all
Basil
Unread 11-13-2006, 12:41 AM   #13
Basil

Thank you to all that responded!

I know I will have withdrawals because I have already gone through it twice when I ran out of meds. One time I went 3 days with no meds at all b/c it was a holiday weekend and I was in big time withdrawals. My husband thought I was having seizures b/c I was shaking all night in the bed. It was the worst experience of my life. I have been on pain meds daily, without missing one day,except when I ran out, for 16 months straight. I know exactly what will happen if I suddenly stop pain meds, it won't be pretty

Thanks all
Basil
Unread 11-13-2006, 12:48 AM   #14
Basil

Also I have already tried the other route of trying to taper down the pain meds with the schedule my doctor gave me and it was way too hard for me to follow. I cannot take a week or 2 weeks off from work to handle the withdrawal feelings of going down on the meds and I definitely can't do it while working. I am definitely not taking this lightly. I have thought of everything else I could before going this route. My insurance covers Subozone and there are a few doctors in my insurance they prescribe it. I just need to call them tomorrow.
Unread 11-13-2006, 12:48 AM   #15
Basil

Also I have already tried the other route of trying to taper down the pain meds with the schedule my doctor gave me and it was way too hard for me to follow. I cannot take a week or 2 weeks off from work to handle the withdrawal feelings of going down on the meds and I definitely can't do it while working. I am definitely not taking this lightly. I have thought of everything else I could before going this route. My insurance covers Subozone and there are a few doctors in my insurance they prescribe it. I just need to call them tomorrow.
Unread 11-13-2006, 02:31 AM   #16
SpAcEdGeD

Definetly give them a call. Suboxone saved my life. I was using oxycontin fentanyl and heroin for years. I have been on sub since Jan and I feel great. the first few days were a little rough my body needed to get used to the suboxone, But once it did I felt great. The suboxone stopped the withdrawals and no cravings at all....Good Luck calling
Unread 11-13-2006, 02:31 AM   #17
SpAcEdGeD

Definetly give them a call. Suboxone saved my life. I was using oxycontin fentanyl and heroin for years. I have been on sub since Jan and I feel great. the first few days were a little rough my body needed to get used to the suboxone, But once it did I felt great. The suboxone stopped the withdrawals and no cravings at all....Good Luck calling
Unread 11-13-2006, 12:16 PM   #18
Basil

Another question....If I were to start suboxone today, in two weeks would I be able to travel? Do you think two weeks into the treatment would enough to venture off?

I know this is a very generalized question but just trying to see how long it takes to get used to taking this stuff and feel "normal".

Thanks
Basil
Unread 11-13-2006, 12:16 PM   #19
Basil

Another question....If I were to start suboxone today, in two weeks would I be able to travel? Do you think two weeks into the treatment would enough to venture off?

I know this is a very generalized question but just trying to see how long it takes to get used to taking this stuff and feel "normal".

Thanks
Basil
Unread 11-13-2006, 12:17 PM   #20
phenom804

I used to be scared of running out of opiates all of the time. You have found the right place here!!! This site saved my life. I was on about 13 waiting lists pondering what i was going to do because i was almost out of money and resources for opiates and Nancy the wonderful person she is found me a doctor last week and i8 started in the suboxone and i feel great. you will get your life back!!! good luck! ---michael
phenom804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2006, 12:17 PM   #21
phenom804

I used to be scared of running out of opiates all of the time. You have found the right place here!!! This site saved my life. I was on about 13 waiting lists pondering what i was going to do because i was almost out of money and resources for opiates and Nancy the wonderful person she is found me a doctor last week and i8 started in the suboxone and i feel great. you will get your life back!!! good luck! ---michael
phenom804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2006, 12:32 PM   #22
snipes

Basil...
After 2 weeks you should be fine.... You will be fine wayyy before that most likely. I dont see why you couldnt travel... The only thing is you would want to have enough medication to travel... Depending on the doctor he may write you a month worth of meds after the first meeting or sometimes only 2 weeks of meds.. It really depends on the doctor. So, You would want to plan traveling around your doctors appointment if possible. I wish you the best... Let us know how your doing!

-Tim
Unread 11-13-2006, 12:32 PM   #23
snipes

Basil...
After 2 weeks you should be fine.... You will be fine wayyy before that most likely. I dont see why you couldnt travel... The only thing is you would want to have enough medication to travel... Depending on the doctor he may write you a month worth of meds after the first meeting or sometimes only 2 weeks of meds.. It really depends on the doctor. So, You would want to plan traveling around your doctors appointment if possible. I wish you the best... Let us know how your doing!

-Tim
Unread 11-13-2006, 01:47 PM   #24
doped_down

Basil,

You'll be chomping at the bit to travel, I know I'm looking forward to seeing my family on Thanksgiving. I have no qualms about traveling.

Ray
doped_down is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2006, 01:47 PM   #25
doped_down

Basil,

You'll be chomping at the bit to travel, I know I'm looking forward to seeing my family on Thanksgiving. I have no qualms about traveling.

Ray
doped_down is offline   Reply With Quote