View Single Post
Unread 04-30-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
Glennda

Hi soafraid,

I haven't researched this yet but I wanted to respond to try and ease your mind. The laws may have changed in the intervening years but my ex DID get SSI disability for alcoholism.

This was several years ago and in the state of PA. He had to have a documented medical history that he brought with him to the interview. His doctor had medical records showing a history of drug and alcohol misuse, more than one attempt at rehab, and an abysmal work history. If I recall correctly, he also had to have a psychiatric evaluation determining that he was unfit to work. It was a long, drawn out process but in the end he was granted SSI disability, or as he liked to call it, his "drunken check". He also received housing assistance from a state program, food stamps and qualified for Medicaid. He was able to live comfortably enough during his remaining years. I relate this story so you can see that others have been able to go this route. I'm hoping this is still the case.

I'll try and find out more. But I'm thinking that alcoholism IS recognized as a disease by the powers that be and I can't imagine that would change. I don't know this for sure, though. Maybe you can call your local Social Security office and get some answers? I'll try looking on the web site and see if I can find out for sure.

If anyone else knows of any recent cases where alcohol dependent people were granted SSI disability, please post and let us know. This is something I should know, huh?

Try not to worry yet. You have time to arrange things before you leave. I think you have a good plan. I'm sure there is some social service out there that your husband can take advatage of. What state are you in, by the way? Have you looked into what your state has to offer yet? That might be a good starting point. Not to worry, we'll figure something out. Let us know what you discover.

Take Care,
Glennda
Glennda is offline   Reply With Quote