Thread: Cheap sub DR.
View Single Post
Unread 08-18-2011, 10:41 PM   #8
nan

Hi hopeful....Sorry to hear the problems your husband is having with mental illness. There have been huge strides in treatment for the disorders you mentioned so there definitely is hope! I just hope that you have been successful in finding good drs for his treatment as there are many medications and behavior modifications that can help an individual manage the symptoms.

I am posting some information from the NIMH website that is a wonderful source for information. It is interesting that it is not really known what causes these disorders, and especially interesting to note that a majority of people who are diagnosed with schizophrenia do not develop it until late teens to 30 yrs old. (I have a very good friend whose son was completely "normal" in every way until he was 28, which is when he was diagnosed with schizophrenia.)

The same goes for bi-polar disorder-it often is misdiagnosed early on, and oftentimes folks abuse substances in order to self-manage before it is diagnosed.

I guess it is easy to see why you are looking to "blame" something or someone as it is a tough thing to have a loved one who is suffering with mental illness. But, the key to me would be to focus on how to manage the illnesses and find the best medical help available.

I also wanted to add the information from the NIMH site to let anyone reading this know that the causes are not known-and there definitely has not been any scientific evidence that taking suboxone causes mental illness. Misinformation is very dangerous. That is why I always encourage seeking out studies and research and basing statements on facts.

Again, there is great hope for the treatment for your husband. Medicine has made great advances and with proper treatment and management your husband should be able to get along ok. Best wishes,

nan

Copied the following from the NIMH website:

Bipolar disorder affects men and women equally. It usually starts between ages 15 - 25. The exact cause is unknown, but it occurs more often in relatives of people with bipolar disorder. Substance abuse is very common among people with bipolar disorder, but the reasons for this link are unclear.7 Some people with bipolar disorder may try to treat their symptoms with alcohol or drugs. However, substance abuse may trigger or prolong bipolar symptoms, and the behavioral control problems associated with mania can result in a person drinking too much.

Schizophrenia affects men and women equally. It occurs at similar rates in all ethnic groups around the world. Symptoms such as hallucinationsand delusions usually start between ages 16 and 30. Men tend to experience symptoms a little earlier than women. Most of the time, people do not get schizophrenia after age 45.3 Schizophrenia rarely occurs in children, but awareness of childhood-onset schizophrenia is increasing.4,5

Some people who abuse drugs show symptoms similar to those of schizophrenia. Therefore, people with schizophrenia may be mistaken for people who are affected by drugs. Most researchers do not believe that substance abuse causes schizophrenia. However, people who have schizophrenia are much more likely to have a substance or alcohol abuse problem than the general population.11

The outlook for people with schizophrenia continues to improve. Although there is no cure, treatments that work well are available. Many people with schizophrenia improve enough to lead independent, satisfying lives.
Continued research and understanding in genetics, neuroscience, and behavioral science will help scientists and health professionals understand the causes of the disorder and how it may be predicted and prevented. This work will help experts develop better treatments to help people with schizophrenia achieve their full potential. Families and individuals who are living with schizophrenia are encouraged to participate in clinical research. For up-to-date information about the latest NIMH-funded research in schizophrenia, see the NIMH Web site.

For more information on schizophrenia

Visit the National Library of Medicine's MedlinePlus, and En Espaņol
For information on NIMH supported clinical trials, the Clinical trials at NIMH in Bethesda, MD or visit the National Library of Medicine Clinical Trials Database
Information from NIMH is available in multiple formats. You can browse online, download documents in PDF, and order materials through the mail. Check the NIMH Web site for the latest information on this topic and to order publications.
If you do not have Internet access please contact the NIMH Information Center at the numbers listed below.
National Institute of Mental Health
Science Writing, Press & Dissemination Branch
6001 Executive Boulevard
Room 8184, MSC 9663
Bethesda, MD 20892-9663
Phone: 301-443-4513 or
1-866-615-NIMH (6464) toll-free
TTY: 301-443-8431
TTY: 866-415-8051 toll-free
FAX: 301-443-4279
E-mail: nimhinfo@nih.gov
Web site: http://www.nimh.nih.gov